Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com problems

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com problems

Old 08-16-00, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read about many problems with Buy.com. I have never had any problems with them. They usually have the lowest price and my pre-orders have always arrived at least the Friday before release.

The one problem I did have was during the Reel.com transfer. And Buy.com sent me a free DVD to make up for the problem.

It seems to me many people use this forum to speak their minds about retailers, but most of the comments seem to be negative. Does anybody ever post their good experiences?

Old 08-16-00, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure. Amazon always sends their stuff, usually on time, and is reliable.

I keep track of almost all my orders from stores in a spreadsheet, but when I order from Amazon, I just assume it will show up, and it does.

Buy.com? Unreliable for me, long delays, unhelpful customer service, etc. I'm VERY glad you've not encountered this.

Old 08-16-00, 05:25 AM
Cool New Member

I, for one, love buy.com (dunks under desk). The majority of my dvds have come from them with no problems. I've also ordered from express and amazon but I stick with buy.com because of the prices and coupons. I also like the fact that you don't have to pay for multiple shipments on a single order.

------------------

My DVDTracker list
Old 08-16-00, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The main reason I'm sticking w/ buy right now is coupons (and the fact they sell other stuff is convient). Once they are gone though I'll probably just stick to DVDexpress and DVDempire.

JMO
Old 08-16-00, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had no problems with buy.com... been using them for almost a year now.

------------------
DVD List
This is for chess - Al Gore is a risky scheme!
Old 08-16-00, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread was just inviting this, I just checked my account and lo and behold I forgot about this:

order date order # total status:

5/26/2000 5829XXX $11.28 Partially Shipped Track Return

They send a msg before saying the item wasn't in stock but that was two month ago. No status update since.

Old 08-16-00, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, And I am experiencing my first problem with them regarding the Planet of the Apes Box Set...still has not shipped yet!!! Should have shipped last Thurs. or Fri.
Others who ordered thru them have received this already...still waiting for a response today regarding an email they sent to me stating it should be shipped within the next 24-48 hours....they stated an order had been written at the warehouse so we will see!!!
Oh, How could I forget!!! I received Erin Brockovich and Fargo on Monday!!! The only problem is I ordered Platoon and Erin Brockovich!!!
Old 08-17-00, 12:38 PM

As for your orders on Platoon.....POTA Box and Erin Brok....we have them all in stock and ready to ship.

BTW....the POTA's in stock are the SE versions with the bonus dvd.

------------------
My submissions and/or responses are in no way an effort to promote our business. However, they are offered as a perspective from someone who works in the industry of Home Entertainment.
Old 08-17-00, 02:21 PM

> Does anybody ever post their good experiences?

I think it's just human nature to post the negatives. If I place an order & receive it in a timely manner, properly packed, am charged the correct price, etc., I wouldn't post that, since it's not news, unless something above & beyond the call of duty happened. It's what I expect. Imagine the flames if people started posting about every correct order.
Old 08-17-00, 04:00 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Basically if you don't need Buy.com's customer service your fine. As soon as something is screwed up (like the whole Reel fiasco), cancelling or returning orders, you enter the Buy.com Terror Zone.

Welcome to the dark side.

'Stay a while, stay Forever!'
Old 08-17-00, 07:55 PM
Cool New Member

Ack! I bought the Buy Jaws + 2 other dvds and get one free offer from Buy.com. I downloaded the coupon, but it didn't download correctly. Now that the offer is over, Buy.com says they don't have the coupon anywhere. Universal doesn't seem to have it either. Not much help from these folk. Does anyone have the pdf file that they can send me?? It would save me much trouble!!

This, I am afraid is kinda typical from my experiences with Buy.com. They are painfully slow to respond to things.
Old 08-19-00, 02:25 AM

Gashlycrumb, do you still have the coupon file on your computer? When I downloaded it it wouldn't work with my Acrobat 3 (it just showed like the top 1 inch of it or something), but it worked fine after I upgraded to Acrobat 4.

(Sorry, but I don't still have my file.)
Old 08-19-00, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steven N:
As for your orders on Platoon.....POTA Box and Erin Brok....we have them all in stock and ready to ship.

BTW....the POTA's in stock are the SE versions with the bonus dvd.
<HR>

Why am I being told by YOUR company that Planet of the Apes Box is not in stock after I was told three times this week this would be shipped!!!!!!!
I preordered this on 6-30-00...come on and get with it!!!!

Steven N,

It is obvious you do not know what you are talking about which is typical of all Buy.com customer service representatives!!! Please stop sugar coating your emails and tell us all the truth for a change!!! Please answer this question honestly....How can someone who preordered a title on June 30th of this year be told that their title is on backorder when it is released? After being told several times this week that it was in stock and would ship this week!!!

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited August 19, 2000).]
Old 08-19-00, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
Why am I being told by YOUR company that Planet of the Apes Box is not in stock after I was told three times this week this would be shipped!!!!!!!
I preordered this on 6-30-00...come on and get with it!!!!

Steven N,

It is obvious you do not know what you are talking about which is typical of all Buy.com customer service representatives!!! Please stop sugar coating your emails and tell us all the truth for a change!!! Please answer this question honestly....How can someone who preordered a title on June 30th of this year be told that their title is on backorder when it is released? After being told several times this week that it was in stock and would ship this week!!!

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited August 19, 2000).]
<HR>

djones6746, Steven N is from DVDEmpire not buy.com

------------------
"I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" -- Better Off Dead

In the beginning...there was ATARI!
My ever Increasing DVD list
My massive ADULT DVDS!!!
12 INCHES of LOOOOOOOVE!!!
Old 08-19-00, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks notoriousaurus...He should have made that known to others who do not know who he is...especially since he is posting in a thread dealing with Buy.com!!!!
Old 08-19-00, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree wholeheartedly

------------------
"I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" -- Better Off Dead

In the beginning...there was ATARI!
My ever Increasing DVD list
My massive ADULT DVDS!!!
12 INCHES of LOOOOOOOVE!!!
Old 08-21-00, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me jump on this bandwagon. The CSRs are the absolute worse! They haven't a clue as to what is going on.

I have been trying to get an order cancelled for weeks, which was paid in full with Reel.com GCs.

I told them that they could just keep the DVD and the GC.
Old 08-21-00, 09:03 PM
Cool New Member

It amazes me why anyone who reads the info published about Buy.com in this forum would do business with them in the first place!!!I know I won't!
Old 08-21-00, 10:37 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I havn't had a problem with them. Today I ordered the Tigger Movie (NOT for me) and the description said free shipping, but I was charged shipping at checkout. So I sent them an email, and 4 hours later I got one back saying they were crediting the $2.95 back to me. Total cost after coupon is $6.99.

And that's my 2 cents.
Old 08-22-00, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I emailed buy.com and am totally ticked off now. I was asking about Platoon. Their response was something to the effect of 'we are investigating the order since the shipping and billing address are different'

What BOGUS replies they give of late. The last one took 2 weeks for them to respond to the email saying they charged me too much for scream3 (reel had a price reduction they neglected to process).

The prior two transferred reel orders had the same setup as have my buy.com orders. I have always shipped them to work. Their CS people seem absolutely clueless. If I weren't getting platoon for under $3 shipped, I would have bagged it.

I had been a big fan of buy.com, but these problems all seem to be with the transferred reel orders. If they couldn't handle it properly, they shouldn't have gone after the business.
Old 08-22-00, 04:03 AM

Certainly shopping at buy.com is a hit or miss. If your item was in stock when it said "in stock", if they ship the correct item, if they charge you the correct price and if your item arrives on time: you're all set. If however one or more of those don't happen, you're screwed -- you have to deal with rude and incompetent staff, hostile supervisors who you can feel are very miserable working in customer service. I personally am not taking any chances anymore. I shopped only once there since March, and only because I had a $50 GC from Olds. My money will go to
Amazon, Onvia, etc.