Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Horrible UPS service

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Horrible UPS service

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-00, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPS has a new (to me, at least) policy of not leaving packages at the door. They also won't let you sign for it one day so it can be left on the next. Basically, if you don't take a day off to wait for UPS to show up, they send it to the warehouse for five days, then back to sender. I have spoken to UPS and CDnow about this policy, but they offer no help. My take is, if I have to pick it up at the warehouse, a 30 min drive, I might as well buy it at a B&M. I'm not driving 30 minutes to save $5.00. Does anyone know of a good way to deal with this, or should I just say no when a company offers UPS-only service?
Old 08-03-00, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've still been leaving parcels for me almost every week (I typically get one or two items a week via UPS). I DO have a halfway secure place for them to drop the packages off.

Do you think they find your doorway an unsecure area to leave parcels? A lot of the time if your regular UPS guy is a good one he'll work with you on it. Have you talked with them about waiving your signature and just leaving the parcels? Of course what works well for me might not for you if your UPS people are buttholes.
Old 08-04-00, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I work for UPS, so I will try to help you out with your problem.

Deliveries Attempted Three Times Without Extra Charge

In case UPS is unable to complete delivery of a package, a nondelivery notice will be left at the consignee's address stating that delivery has been attempted. Thereafter, a second and, if necessary, a third attempt to deliver the package will be made without additional charge.

If you are unable to be home during any of the 3 delivery attempts, you will have to pick the package up at the hub given or the package will be sent back to the shipper at no additional charge.

If you receive packages consistently from week to week or bi-weekly and have a secure area for delivery, I would recommend calling your local UPS to see if they can work with you on leaving the packages without you having to sign for them. Since I am not in customer service I can't say for sure if they would do this in your area.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
Go Bucs!
Old 08-04-00, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still leaving packages at my front door step....not sure what the problem is with your area driver or maybe it is the area itself.
Old 08-04-00, 04:31 AM
ripthorne

Just stay at home!
yuck yuck

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- Aren't you one of those guys. What guys? Those guy guys, you know those guys with skills? Skills? Yeah, You send them out into the wilderness with a pocket knife & a Q-Tip & they build you a shopping mall, you can't do that? No, I can't do that.
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet Updated July 04, 2000
Old 08-04-00, 01:20 PM

I can't stand the inconsistency of the deliveries. Sometimes they leave packages at my door, covered by the doormat! That's a little silly when there's a small courtyard to the left of my door where they could easily conceal it. Other times they leave it with my leasing office. I wish they'd make up their minds.

Mike
Old 08-04-00, 03:51 PM

Why won't UPS change this policy? I have no problems with the mail or FedEx, both of whom will leave packages at my door if I sign for them. I do live in a condo, so I understand there is a security issue, but I am willing to take the risk and sign for an unsecured delivery. UPS will not let me do this. I have talked to their customer service, and they were useless. They deliver only during business hrs on weekdays, and they demand that someone be home for them. My note says between 12:00 and 3:00. UPS' only suggestions were stay home or pick up at the hub. This is very poor for a home delivery service. I guess I will boycott UPS from now on, only ordering through more reasonable services.
Old 08-04-00, 04:22 PM

I live in an apartment and USPS always leaves packages at my door and i have never had a problem. UPS however always require a signature and i have to time it so im home when they come. It gets annoying when the ups driver knocks on my door so soft and just goes back to his truck only after one knock. trouble is i get different ups drivers each time now which is weird since i had a regular guy before. I wish places would just send everything usps.
Old 08-04-00, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by trae:
I live in an apartment and USPS always leaves packages at my door and i have never had a problem. UPS however always require a signature and i have to time it so im home when they come. It gets annoying when the ups driver knocks on my door so soft and just goes back to his truck only after one knock. trouble is i get different ups drivers each time now which is weird since i had a regular guy before. I wish places would just send everything usps.<HR>

If you are getting different drivers it is probably because the regular driver is on vacation and the other driver is just covering his route. UPS drivers get atleast 5 weeks vacation, so maybe he is taking his vacation days since it is summer.

mrosen, If the driver leaves the packages in different places, this could be in relation to my above paragraph, or if someone was outside near your residence and the driver thought it might not be a bright idea to leave your package in the open.

Each driver runs the same route unless they are on vacation or out due till illness.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
Go Bucs!
Old 08-05-00, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The horror stories not only happen with the drivers but in the warehouse as well.

I remember a fellow DVDTalker saying that he used to work for UPS in the loading department and they just throw stuff on that conveyor belt they have in the warehouse. Well, this particular belt was up some 15 or so feet in the air and objects were beginning to get backed up. He said he looked up and saw a bunch of stuff just jammed into a pile one of which was a box enclosing a 20" TV! He saw this huge TV box get pushed close to the edge of the belt and "bombs away!" They simply pick the TV box up and put it back on a conveyor belt.

That's a 20" TV from around 15 feet!!!

------------------
"You had me at hello.....tear." --Dr. Evil
Old 08-05-00, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPS has always been somewhat good to me, but a few times I've had packages not come by the guaranteed delivery date, one time even a week and a half late, and they refuse to even appoogize, let alone refund the shipping costs, since my addres is residental. I guess they only care about businesses. Although I understand that since businesses probably make up 90% of their business.
Old 08-06-00, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Around here all the USPS and UPS delivery guys know me so they always leave it on our back porch, on the side, in the door whereever its well hidden so no one can see it. Fed Ex the guy knows where i work like 2 minutes from the house so he will stop in to drop it off, or give it to our neighbor.

Capt
Old 08-06-00, 06:07 PM

UPS will not leave at my apt either. However all I have to do is call cust service and ask for it to be sent to my work and they deliver it the next day. One time they even did this without me asking. Generally if I know that it's coming by UPS I try to give the shipper my work address to start with but sometimes Amazon and other places have been know to ship via UPS even though I requested standard postal service delivery.
Old 08-08-00, 05:03 PM

Got a delivery notification last night for a package. Not wanting to wait 24 hours to get my stuff, I waited till 6:45ish (when the trucks might hopefully have returned to the hub) and headed for the local hub.

In the past, I had had no problems getting them to get the stuff off of the truck, assuming the truck was back and there was no line of people waiting.

Apparently though, UPS has a new hard-ass policy in regards to people doing this. They'd rather have you call their 800 number to set up a hold for the next morning, or leave the little yellow delivery slip on your front door with instructions there.

Now, wouldn't it seem that it would save them time/money if they'd give me the box while I'm standing there? Seems like it would save them from having to make 2nd and 3rd delivery attempts. It would also not piss off the customer who wants his hard-earned stuff.

It seems "S" no longer stands for "Service" with these guys. Maybe it stands for "**** -for-Brains."

Anyway, hopefully the driver will actually leave the package with my neighbor today, as noted on the delivery slip.

I too use Priority Mail whenever possible. One of these days UPS will wake up and wonder why all the business is down at the USPS.

-Gren