Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Raised Shipping Charges

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-30-13, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did Amazon raise its shipping charges for DVDs from $2.99 to $3.99 per DVD?
Old 04-30-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: Amazon Raised Shipping Charges

Amazon 3rd Party Shipping Charges will Increase on April 24th
Old 04-30-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

This thread is about marketplace sellers. But now Amazon is also charging $3.99 for discs it ships.
Old 04-30-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This thread is about marketplace sellers. But now Amazon is also charging $3.99 for discs it ships.
That proabably went unnoticed beause I think most us don't pay for shipping when ordering from Amazon proper. We either have prime or order in $25 increments.
Old 04-30-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
That proabably went unnoticed beause I think most us don't pay for shipping when ordering from Amazon proper. We either have prime or order in $25 increments.
Yep, I was actually wondering if the OP was about the same thing when I posted the other thread, but I never pay for first-party shipping.
Old 04-30-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

This exactly. But the raise in MP shipping now causes me to think a bit before pulling the trigger. Yeah, it's only a $1 more but that now puts the lowest cost of one cent plus shipping higher than new copies from BL and roughly par with WM dump bin.
Old 04-30-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Since postage keeps going up it was inevitable. As an ebay seller, I sure wish ebay would do the same. I often lose money on shipping. And with ebay's push for fake "free shipping" to be offered by sellers (ebay tells sellers to add the shipping charge to the selling price & pretend it's free shipping), customer's tend to forget that the seller really does have to have to pay for postage, mailers, ink, labels, etc.

Though as a collector myself it sucks!
Old 04-30-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

The shipping increase was not inevitable.. It was merely more greed on Amazon's part. $3.99 shipping for a single 4 oz DVD is ridiculous. These can be shipped first class for under $2.00 total. The other $2.00 is profit that Amazon makes off the buyer and Marketplace seller of the product. Books being $3.99 shipping are a little more reasonable, since it often does cost $3 to $4 to ship a book by Media Mail.
Old 04-30-13, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely!
Old 04-30-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
$3.99 shipping for a single 4 oz DVD is ridiculous. These can be shipped first class for under $2.00 total.
Not with the same packaging (cardboard) that amazon uses. You can get by with bubble wrap if you do it right but cardboard's a different story.
Old 04-30-13, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't scrutinized prices lately, but have a feeling that the cost of many Marketplace items will be coming down by a dollar, to offset the shipping increase and continue competing with Amazon's own prices. Marketplace items are sometimes remarkably cheaper, but often the prices match Amazon exactly, or are a couple dollars less to offset the additional shipping. It's one more thing to consider now when deciding who to patron, but I'm not gonna get worked-up about it.
Old 04-30-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle
The shipping increase was not inevitable.. It was merely more greed on Amazon's part. $3.99 shipping for a single 4 oz DVD is ridiculous. These can be shipped first class for under $2.00 total. The other $2.00 is profit that Amazon makes off the buyer and Marketplace seller of the product. Books being $3.99 shipping are a little more reasonable, since it often does cost $3 to $4 to ship a book by Media Mail.
What you're forgetting is that postage has been going up EVERY YEAR (as have shipping supplies; my box wholesale increases 2-3 time each year), & there has been no shipping increase from Amazon or ebay for years. International has gotten much worse (66% increase this year, 25% last year); I have no idea what Amazon is doing there. Ebay at least lets sellers set their own international shipping rate.

As an example, I've gone to the CHEAPEST bubble mailers I can find (around 16 cents each), as the boxes I used for years for cd's are now around .75 each in bulk, & dvd boxes are higher than that.

And people aren't willing to pay it; the problem goes back to how congress does the accounting on the USPS pension system, which is the main reason they're "losing" money.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 04-30-13 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-30-13, 07:26 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

It's actually bad for me as a seller. I've had to lower every listing to stay competitive. And, Amazon is taking 55 cents more from the seller of the dollar increase.
Old 04-30-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
...International has gotten much worse (66% increase this year, 25% last year); I have no idea what Amazon is doing there...
There are a couple of UK vendors I use regularly. Both charge the same $2.99 (now $3.99) as US vendors. I don't understand how they make any money off US sales for the very inexpensive items they sell (frequently as little as one cent). I thought they might have drop shipment sites in the US for those but they come International mail - I typically have to sign for the package.
Old 04-30-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by g
It's actually bad for me as a seller. I've had to lower every listing to stay competitive. And, Amazon is taking 55 cents more from the seller of the dollar increase.
!?!? I thought the seller got the entire shipping fee.
Old 04-30-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Sellers can't lower the price of a 0.01 DVD by a dollar! Amazon wanted a larger piece of the pie on these 'nuissance' sales, and they certainly have gotten it by raising the price for Marketplace seller shipping by a dollar.

Most marketplace sellers use bubble wrap envelopes for their DVDs anyway, not cardboard boxes. So those cost $0.16. I've seen them discarded by the hundreds in dumpsters (no I don't dumpster dive) and universities. There are ways of getting them and / or reusing them for free that sellers overlook.
Old 04-30-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Since postage keeps going up it was inevitable. As an ebay seller, I sure wish ebay would do the same. I often lose money on shipping. And with ebay's push for fake "free shipping" to be offered by sellers (ebay tells sellers to add the shipping charge to the selling price & pretend it's free shipping), customer's tend to forget that the seller really does have to have to pay for postage, mailers, ink, labels, etc.

Though as a collector myself it sucks!
I never worried about stamp prices going up I am more concerned with the cost of priority mail and other shipping methods, it is hard enough as it is to sell many items unless they are of higher value. You have to fiddle with eBay's shipping a bit to get the correct price when selling, no eBay I cannot mail this item for three dollars, closer to six. Shipping prices scare most people away on cheap stuff. And some really do not understand that there are often no cheap shipping methods, yes, it will cost twelve dollars to mail that, unless it is media or books there are no other options.

And as a buyer the overall price as to be good, not paying for dollars for shipping on some cheap film.
Old 04-30-13, 08:27 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
When Amazon announced to sellers that they were raising shipping to 3.99, they also announced they were collecting 55 cents more per item in fees. So the effective increase is 45 cents to a seller.
So if I lower prices by a dollar to make up for the shipping, I lose 55 cents over what I was making before.
Old 04-30-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Vinyl records, as well.
Old 04-30-13, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mentioned it in another Amazon thread about a month or so ago. So, it didn't go completely unnoticed.
Old 04-30-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by g
it's actually bad for me as a seller. I've had to lower every listing to stay competitive. And, amazon is taking 55 cents more from the seller of the dollar increase.
ouch!
Old 04-30-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a couple of UK vendors I use regularly. Both charge the same $2.99 (now $3.99) as US vendors. I don't understand how they make any money off US sales for the very inexpensive items they sell (frequently as little as one cent). I thought they might have drop shipment sites in the US for those but they come International mail - I typically have to sign for the package.
I meant the postage cost of sending FROM the USA to other countries.
Old 04-30-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL!!!!!

Ebay takes 13%. I BELIEVE Amazon USED to take 15%; sounds like it's now 15% + .55!
Old 04-30-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Amazon has shipping costs?
Old 05-01-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Amazon has shipping costs?
Hahahaha. No.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.