Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay return issue

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ebay return issue

Old 11-29-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay return issue

I sold a Nintendo Game Cube game that I had bought brand new from Best Buy and few years back. I completed the game and it works perfectly. I never sold my games I like, so I can play them again. When my Cube broke earlier this year, I started selling my games on ebay. The buyer received it and then sent me a message that his Game Cube isn't working anymore and is asking to return the game and get his money back. The game isn't the issue. It's that his Cube broke. My listings say no returns. Would you issue a refund?
Old 11-29-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Ebay return issue

Originally Posted by darkhawk
I sold a Nintendo Game Cube game that I had bought brand new from Best Buy and few years back. I completed the game and it works perfectly. I never sold my games I like, so I can play them again. When my Cube broke earlier this year, I started selling my games on ebay. The buyer received it and then sent me a message that his Game Cube isn't working anymore and is asking to return the game and get his money back. The game isn't the issue. It's that his Cube broke. My listings say no returns. Would you issue a refund?
As long as he returns it. Because if you don't, he opens a case and ebay will refund him anyway, deduct it from your papal, and let him keep the game.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 11-29-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

No, I wouldn't let him. If your Return Policy on the auction stated No Returns, then you're under no obligation to take it. The only reason you'd need to is if it were significantly not as described.

Since you already have correspondence with him in which he admits that the reason why he wants to return it is because his GameCube broke, that should be sufficient to prove in any eBay dispute that he's not returning because it's significantly not as described.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
As long as he returns it. Because if you don't, he opens a case and ebay will refund him anyway, deduct it from your papal, and let him keep the game.
Actually, in cases like that, eBay would usually require the buyer to return the item first, and provide a delivery confirmation number for the return. Once the return is verified, then they would refund the buyer's money.
Old 11-29-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ebay won't refund him anyway. The main thing on my side, is where he wrote in his message that his GC System broke. Not my game. It's fine. I've had where ebay was on my side and wouldn't refund the buyer.
Old 11-29-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Ebay won't refund him anyway. The main thing on my side, is where he wrote in his message that his GC System broke. Not my game. It's fine. I've had where ebay was on my side and wouldn't refund the buyer.
He can easily get his money back and ebay can't do anything about it IF he calls his credit card and claims it was an unauthorized charge. Plus he's got 6 months to do it.

When you are selling on ebay as a seller, there is no such thing as no returns.
Old 11-30-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
No, I wouldn't let him. If your Return Policy on the auction stated No Returns, then you're under no obligation to take it.
It's funny that you think you can set return terms as a seller on eBay.
Old 11-30-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It's funny that you think you can set return terms as a seller on eBay.
I take it you're not a regular seller on eBay then? I'm a Top-rated Seller, so I know what I'm talking about.

In fact, let me just quote from the eBay Help pages:

All sellers on eBay are required to specify a return policy, whether your policy is to accept returns or not.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-policy.html

You're probably confusing the seller return policy with returns processed under the Buyer Protection policy. It's not the same thing.

darkhawk specified "No returns" as his seller return policy, so he's under no obligation to take back the item just because the buyer suddenly has no mechansim to use the game. And since the buyer already tipped his hand by telling darkhawk that he wants to return it because his GC is broken, the buyer would be unlikely to win a Buyer Protection case if he suddenly decides to say, "the game is defective!"

Originally Posted by Sonic
He can easily get his money back and ebay can't do anything about it IF he calls his credit card and claims it was an unauthorized charge. Plus he's got 6 months to do it.
True, but in that case, the seller has no liability and is protected by the PayPal Seller Protection policy, so long as he followed all the terms.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...ion-learn-more

Last edited by TheBang; 11-30-12 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 12:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

LOL.

Sellers have no return policy. If a buyer wants a refund, they will get one. End of story. You can type whatever you want but eBay backs the buyers most of the time. You mean nothing to them.
Old 12-03-12, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

If you marked "returns not accepted", the buyer cannot open a dispute. He could open a case and say that the disc is broken. He can still leave negative feedback. And he can still do a credit card chargeback (assuming he used a credit card ... the seller can't see that in PayPal).

You can do what you want. But I think that you can just be polite, and maybe say something like, "I cannot afford to accept a return right now". Maybe tell him that he might be best off reselling the game on eBay.

Communicate. Be nice. And deflect the return. He'll probably give up and resell it himself.
Old 12-03-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
LOL.

Sellers have no return policy. If a buyer wants a refund, they will get one. End of story. You can type whatever you want but eBay backs the buyers most of the time. You mean nothing to them.
There is certainly abuse of the eBay Buyer Protection policy, but saying Sellers have no return policy is simply incorrect. And eBay does not always back the buyers in Buyer Protection cases.
Old 12-04-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
If you marked "returns not accepted", the buyer cannot open a dispute. He could open a case and say that the disc is broken. He can still leave negative feedback. And he can still do a credit card chargeback (assuming he used a credit card ... the seller can't see that in PayPal).

You can do what you want. But I think that you can just be polite, and maybe say something like, "I cannot afford to accept a return right now". Maybe tell him that he might be best off reselling the game on eBay.

Communicate. Be nice. And deflect the return. He'll probably give up and resell it himself.
This is the best advice, and exactly what I'd do.

If he decided to be an ass and leave you negative feedback, as soon as you notice it issue a request for a feedback revision and as a last resort I'd tell him if he removes the feedback you will accept the return, but shipping back to you would be out of his pocket.

For the most part folks on eBay are understanding when something goes wrong either direction. I've had bumps in the road, but I have always been able to talk them out, and I've never been blatantly screwed. Fingers crossed.

But trust me, I know it happens, all too well.