Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-23, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Clicked on the link for the turntable, and no banner saying it is a frequently returned item.
Old 03-29-23, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

^Ah, I see it now. For some reason, amazon.com had switched to only showing me items that ship to Canada.

And yes, that banner is not present.

Sounds like a great feature, to me. I hope they do implement it across amazon sites.
Old 03-29-23, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
If their other options were leave the child at home alone or pay the absurd price for child care, I'd probably do the same. I'm sure the child loved putting on the vest and acting like they were doing real work.
I was being tongue-in-cheek in my child exploitation comments, but seriously, this isn't very professional. What if the kid tripped on my property? What happens then? I'm sure Amazon doesn't actually condone delivery of its products by the underaged (ie, non-SSN paying, non-payroll people). The Amazon employee is hired to provide a personal service to the company, not to enroll a bunch of minions and helpers to shave his workload. Probably the child just wanted to help Dad, but this shouldn't technically be done.

If the child wants to do "real" work, help dad at home or get off her smartphone! Saving on child care?! That's like foisting your child on the office staff for free babysitting while you're doing your job. If you can't afford child care, don't have the child... Your child isn't our (or your employer's) problem or liability.
Old 03-29-23, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
I was being tongue-in-cheek in my child exploitation comments, but seriously, this isn't very professional. What if the kid tripped on my property? What happens then? I'm sure Amazon doesn't actually condone delivery of its products by the underaged (ie, non-SSN paying, non-payroll people). The Amazon employee is hired to provide a personal service to the company, not to enroll a bunch of minions and helpers to shave his workload. Probably the child just wanted to help Dad, but this shouldn't technically be done.

If the child wants to do "real" work, help dad at home or get off her smartphone! Saving on child care?! That's like foisting your child on the office staff for free babysitting while you're doing your job. If you can't afford child care, don't have the child... Your child isn't our (or your employer's) problem or liability.
Or maybe it's something like Spring Break for the kids and they couldn't take a whole week off to watch the kids at home? I know, I know, lock them up at home. By all means go get the parent fired, surely they deserve it and will no doubt learn a valuable lesson of some sort.

I used to go to work with my dad some Summer days helping him check stock and stuff. The childhood trauma I could have avoided if someone had only reported him.
Old 03-30-23, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Or maybe it's something like Spring Break for the kids and they couldn't take a whole week off to watch the kids at home? I know, I know, lock them up at home. By all means go get the parent fired, surely they deserve it and will no doubt learn a valuable lesson of some sort.
Yeah. One of my kids went with my wife to her work during the days of Spring Break that she couldn't get off work. She was there for about 4 hours. The kids either helped her out or read / colored / stared into space. Her options were either pay almost twice as much as she makes for childcare, or not show up and get fired. We're fortunate enough that her job is very flexible with schedules, and even if she lost her job, I could support the family. Not many other people are in that position.

Again, I do agree with zyzzle (lord help me), in that I wouldn't have the kid do the actual drop off.
Old 04-03-23, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

It's possible the parent had hurt their foot or leg and wasn't that mobile. They could've asked and received the okay for their kid to help. And who knows how old the kid is or even if it was a kid or a small person.
Old 04-04-23, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 442 Likes on 256 Posts

I saw her; it was a child, not a small adult. The parent probably agreed to make a few deliveries on the way home from work with their personal vehicle. Then he/she picked up their child from after-care or a babysitter, and made the deliveries on the way home.
Old 04-06-23, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be curious how someone who doesn't work for a company can do work forcthrm. Legal-wise. I've had Doordashers have someone helping them.
Old 04-06-23, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, that's my main thought. From a parent perspective, I can see both the 'want to work with mom/dad today?' and the 'I can't afford daycare today' perspectives of bringing the kid along, but what if the kid gets injured (or destroys a package). Even if it's not a kid, if they're not 'on the payroll' as it were. I know some of these jobs are contractor jobs without the range of protection and responsibility being a full 'employee' has, but still.
That said, if I saw this car deliver to my house, I wouldn't say anything unless the kid was in danger. Times are tough and what 'work' looks like isn't as clear cut as it used to be.

On the music and smart devices topic - I still can't get Alexa to shuffle my whole music library. It will play specific songs/artists/albums if I am very specific, so that's an improvement.

Old 04-07-23, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I know some of these jobs are contractor jobs without the range of protection and responsibility being a full 'employee' has, but still.
I think that is what it boils down to. If they are delivering in their privately owned vehicle, I have less of a problem with it. If it is in an Amazon delivery truck, I would think that would be a no go.
Old 04-10-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Got a weird package from Amazon today at my p.o. box. Everything I've ordered from Amazon and everywhere else for that matter, I've already received. I go to my p.o. box today and there's a small 3"x5" poly mailer in my box. I take it out of my box and there's a little slit on one of the side corners. As soon as I pull it out, these hard tiny white pebbles and dust starts pouring out the sides and onto the floor. I put it on the counter and open it the rest of the way. The bag has some more loose white stuff dust and slightly hard pebble like stuff in it. Then there is a little clear cellophane like wrapper with more of the white stuff in it and twisted shut at both ends. Other than that, there is just a business car that says "Thank you for your order".

I have no idea why this was sent to me, but it had my full name on it. I mostly only receive Amazon packages at my p.o. box and use it for my Ebay business which doesn't go by my proper name. I googled the address and it appears to be some type of Amazon associated shipping address. This is the return address listed on the envelope: Shipping Center, 4302 Chefs Way, Louisville, KY 40218. Anyone ever receive something odd like this from Amazon or this address?
Old 04-10-23, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Old 04-10-23, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't know if this is what your scenario is, but there's a 'brushing' scam that is kinda like that.
Basically they send stuff to an unsuspecting person and then create fake reviews or up their sales numbers.

Amazon Amazon
https://www.bbb.org/article/news-rel...em-for-victims

The fact that you actually didn't get anything is a little weirder. Is the powder silica gel/beads? Maybe they're brushing but not sending anything, or sending a damaged envelope, or it got damaged in transit.
Old 04-10-23, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I don't know if this is what your scenario is, but there's a 'brushing' scam that is kinda like that.
Basically they send stuff to an unsuspecting person and then create fake reviews or up their sales numbers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...3XVXQPUV79Z2ZC
https://www.bbb.org/article/news-rel...em-for-victims

The fact that you actually didn't get anything is a little weirder. Is the powder silica gel/beads? Maybe they're brushing but not sending anything, or sending a damaged envelope, or it got damaged in transit.
I was thinking maybe some kind of brushing scam, but There really wasn't any kind of product in except maybe something to make it weigh a little bit more than an empty package. I got a little whiff of something that smelled like mint when I pulled the package out but didn't want to investigate by sniffing the envelope. I just wiped the white dust that landed on my shirt onto the floor and turned the package in to the post office. Maybe they stuck a hard mint in the package and it got crushed in transit, but I don't know why a random company would send me a mint or send anything where they wouldn't want their name of their company known.
Old 04-10-23, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

I received a package like that with little metal balls just a little bigger than a BB. I actually called the police and they said it was a scam.
Old 04-10-23, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I received a package like that with little metal balls just a little bigger than a BB. I actually called the police and they said it was a scam.
It's got to be some type of scam, I'm just curious the point of it. If they're trying to build up their numbers on Amazon, I don't see how it could work since there's no order placed from my account. Unless they are creating separate accounts and buying their own items and sending it that way. But they would have needed to get my number from somewhere. My biggest concern was that is some type of drug or a harmful chemical. I'll have to see if I get anything else in the coming week.
Old 05-20-23, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I ordered two Game of Death Blu-rays which is OOP for $49 each and assumed the 3rd party seller would ship them in a box and not a brown mailer since he is making a mint on selling stuff that is rare and out of print.
Old 05-21-23, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I ordered two Game of Death Blu-rays which is OOP for $49 each and assumed the 3rd party seller would ship them in a box and not a brown mailer since he is making a mint on selling stuff that is rare and out of print.
You're the one supporting third-party sellers. You take your chances. Why you need two? Gonna eBay 'em later?

And how is Amazon at fault for this?
Old 05-21-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He has a 100% rating according to Amazon in the last 12 months.

One to watch and one to collect but if they are in trashy condition I will just return them and forget the whole thing.

I could have saved money and probably bought the foreign releases but I wanted the Shout Factory editions and I doubt they would ever get a official US blu-ray release again with the demise of physical media.
Old 05-21-23, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That Bruce Lee GOD Shout release isn’t worth the trouble and price. If you really are a fan of his movies, you should just buy the Criterion set. That’s pretty much the ultimate set for his movies in the States.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (05-24-23)
Old 06-12-23, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Amazon did it to me AGAIN. Preordered the exclusive edition of JOHN WICK 4 the day it went online (at $28...it's now selling for $43) and sure enough, just like my Superman Exclusive set last month, it's "lost in transit."

They're telling me, "Oh, we'll just cancel it for you and you can order it again"...but they won't let me order again at the old price.
Old 06-12-23, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

No, if the order is lost, you should have an option to get a replacement shipped, without having to place a new order at the current price. Instead of talking to a rep, try going through the Return order process or through the chat assistant. They should both have options to send a replacement copy.

Edit: actually, if it’s past the expected delivery date and hasn’t had a delivery scan yet, it should say in your order status that the delivery is running late. At that point, the system gives another 3 days for it to show up. If it still hasn’t scanned as delivered by the end of the third day, then it will give you automatic replacement or refund options in the order status. The only time you won’t get a replacement option then is if it’s out of stock from the original seller.

Last edited by TheBang; 06-15-23 at 12:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
story (06-12-23)
Old 06-16-23, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems the service and the packaging is worse when you have Prime.

I got a package of blu-rays on Wed and the package was already opened.
Old 06-18-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah but it was opened sooner with Prime.
Old 06-20-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Follow up on my post. John Wick 4 finally showed up, a full week after street date.

Here's a new one: I went online last Monday (June 12) to get a book for my Dad for Father's Day. The book he wanted was IN STOCK, so I went to order it and the checkout told me the estimated delivery was June 19. So I reached out to CS, told them I was a PRIME member, and asked them why it was going to take that long if it was "In Stock"? I'm paraphrasing, but the CS Rep told me, "Oh, your local fulfilment center doesn't have it, so we need to ship it to them and then it will ship to you." Me: "Can't you just ship it directly from a warehouse that DOES have it?" CS Rep: "No. We'll do our best to get it to you before Sunday."

Yeah, no thanks...I went to Barnes & Noble for the same book. It cost me a few bucks more, but they delivered it on Thursday, three days later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.