Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Trevor
I wish they were slow in getting me items. The free month for each late item probably pays for Prime for most of you. Me, they are never late, so I generally select slow shipping to rack up those digital credits.
I won't ask for a free month anymore because mine renews in October, and I don't want it being November or December since I spend so much on holiday deals then. I gained almost whole year in the past 3 or 4 years though.
Old 11-29-18, 12:51 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I would say about 25 percent of the stuff I get from Amazon gets marked "Delivered" on their site the day before I actually see it. It's gotten to the point where I wait an extra two days before contacting Amazon. This is not new...it's been going on for over a year now. Yes, I'm a PRIME member.

As far as getting shipments in the promised PRIME two-day window? MAYBE half of the time.
This has only just started happening to me, and it's a regular occurrence now. But the app seems to think it's going to be delivered (two stops away!), and I'll watch the dot go right by the house and either mark as delivered, failed delivery (no one home?), or no delivery attempt.

Like you, I've just waited an extra day or two and it eventually gets delivered, so it's just probably the delivery driver couldn't find my package in their car, so they skipped me.

I'm sure most of the issues are with temp drivers hired for the holiday season that aren't exactly rocket scientists in their approach to organizing and delivering packages.

Regarding the 2 day prime shipping, just yesterday, I ordered an item, and it shipped right away, but says it will be delivered on Monday (5 days). If I go to the item page, it still says 2 day estimated delivery if I order within 18 hours or whatever. It was a deal of the day item.

It's gotten bad enough, Amazon should just have a button on their order tracking page that says "did you actually receive the package?" or "did you receive it in 2 days?". But the fact that the last order just plain says it'll take 5 days says that the 2 day delivery is just a rough estimate.
Old 11-29-18, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PerryD
It's gotten bad enough, Amazon should just have a button on their order tracking page that says "did you actually receive the package?" or "did you receive it in 2 days?".
I wish they'd bring back their "Leave package feedback" option.
Old 11-29-18, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
I wish they'd bring back their "Leave package feedback" option.
Why? They don't fucking listen anyway. If they did, we'd be able to choose a fucking shipping carrier by now.
Old 11-29-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^*And* get product shipped in proper packaging instead of guaranteed-to-damage-your-product bubble mailers.
Old 11-29-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Regarding the 2 day prime shipping, just yesterday, I ordered an item, and it shipped right away, but says it will be delivered on Monday (5 days). If I go to the item page, it still says 2 day estimated delivery if I order within 18 hours or whatever. It was a deal of the day item.

It's gotten bad enough, Amazon should just have a button on their order tracking page that says "did you actually receive the package?" or "did you receive it in 2 days?". But the fact that the last order just plain says it'll take 5 days says that the 2 day delivery is just a rough estimate.
It seems Amazon has altered the deal regarding Prime. Last four things I've ordered have come within 2 days of being shipped, but they've taken 3 days to actually get shipped. Maybe it's due to the holiday season, but that turnaround time is terrible for someone who's paying $120/yr for expedited shipping.
Old 11-29-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
It seems Amazon has altered the deal regarding Prime. Last four things I've ordered have come within 2 days of being shipped, but they've taken 3 days to actually get shipped. Maybe it's due to the holiday season, but that turnaround time is terrible for someone who's paying $120/yr for expedited shipping.
I've ordered some stuff at the same time and had one thing get shipped 2 day Prime and the other get shipped slower so i get the the $1 digital credits. Not aonly did they ship out the slower shipping method item first, but I also received it first.
Old 11-29-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many of my "slow shipping" items arrive within 2 days. I'm happy with the slow shipping credits as I typically earn enough to fully offset the cost of Prime (and you can purchase digitally delivered software with them - stuff I'd have purchased with cash otherwise). It's very rare that I truly need something in 2 days.
Old 11-30-18, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Viper187
Why? They don't fucking listen anyway. If they did, we'd be able to choose a fucking shipping carrier by now.
If nothing else, I liked having the chance to vent. Yes, it's entirely possible they took the option down because they got tired of the criticism.
Old 11-30-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Guys...you won't believe it. Ordered something the other day with an expected delivery of Sunday. These madmen went ahead and shipped it to arrive TODAY. The nerve of these people...
Old 12-01-18, 12:00 AM

Really, Amazon? REALLY??

I needed to vent somewhere.
Old 12-01-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

^ Did that happen in shipping, or was it damaged before they shipped it out?

I’ve had Amazon send out three or four of visibly damaged items (they weren’t damaged in transit; the shipping containers were undamaged).

In one case, about fifteen years ago, they sent me a CD in a shattered case. It was basically a bag with a CD, inserts, and a bunch of shards of clear plastic. I know it wasn’t damaged in transit because they included a little vard apologizing for sending out a damaged item because it was the last one available at the time, and they would replace it if I wasn’t satisfied. You bet your ass I sent it back; I almost wrote “FUCK YOU” on the note and included it, too, but I didn’t.
Old 12-03-18, 12:10 PM

Oh, it was definitely damaged before shipping. I've had packages arrive with the box in tatters, but the contents is normally always acceptable. It may not be obvious from the photo, but the box isn't exactly crushed. Looks to me like it got caught in some machinery, maybe a conveyor belt. I was restrained in my feedback on Amazon's returns page, but did say that both the picker and definitely the packer should be ashamed.
Old 12-03-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Amazon has robots with mechanical arms picking a lot of items for shipment these days. It's all on conveyor belts and such.
Old 12-03-18, 02:45 PM

Mmm. I did IT work for a short time at a modern Internet fulfillment center, and while our stuff was all hand-picked, it then moved around the facility in a tote on intelligent conveyor belts based on several variables. Totes could be parked in a large holding area until they had time to be processed, or perhaps in anticipation of some event, i.e. the next first shift or a series of trucks arriving. Or they could be directed straight to packing, to "special handling" packing, or to the autobaggers in the case of a single softgood. Assuming my BD set wasn't a robot malfunction, my best guess is that the tote overturned at some point.
Old 12-04-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
I ordered a Fire tablet for my Mom on Friday for 2 day delivery, which for Prime members means the delivery will be Wednesday because they are calculating on when they feel like shipping it.

So I tell her she'll have a delivery on Wednesday. It never comes, but I check the bs tracking they provide which starts with "TBA". It says "your package was delivered today. It was handed directly to a resident". My mom was home all day and she is the only one that lives there.

So I contact Amazon through their live chat and this is the reponse I get "I'm sorry you didn't receive your package, even though tracking says it's been delivered. A carrier may scan the package as "Delivered" when it is out for delivery and you may receive the delivery on the next business day."

So basically it sounds like they can't keep up with the volume they are shipping out right now so they are just marking packages as "delivered" in order to keep their "two day shipping" promise. Seems pretty fraudulent and i can't see how they can keep track if any of their packages are truly delivered if they aren't consistant on tracking their packages correctly. I asked the rep how would the driver know that the recipient would be home when they got there to deliver the package since they are stating that they handed it to a resident. I got a canned response that they will mark it in their notes.

Yesterday, I got two packages delivered from Amazon yesterday. One was for me and one was for someone three houses down. I delivered it for them but I'm sure their tracking showed it was delivered to the correct address. This was one of Amazon's own delivery drivers because they were using some $19.99 a day rent a truck.
So I finally received the tablet on Friday, two days after the guaranteed delivery date and eight days after placing the order which was a Prime item. So I really received it later than I should have than those that didn't have Prime membership.

Amazon no longer gives a free month of Prime when they miss the deliveries. They took that wording out of the policy a few months back from what I've heard. It now says that you get refunded your shipping costs if they miss a delivery. So if you have Prime you don't pay for 2-day shipping, so your shipping cost and refund is $0.

I used the live chat feature to complain, just to see what they would do. Conveniently the chat feature wasn't available for the item that was late, so I had to choose another item I ordered to initiate a live chat. They will basically offer you a $5 credit via gift card to your account. About what I expected. I don't know how many times they'll do this, but paying $10 a month to get inaccurate tracking and delivery is not what I want from a Prime mebership and it was the main reason I signed up in the first place.

The biggest issue with them marking the packages as delivered is the recipient will have no way of knowing if their package is still in transit or if it was delivered to the doorstep and stolen by porch pirates. Theft of packages on doorsteps is now a major concern with the proliferation of people ordering online especially around the holiday times. If it's an expensive item that was lost in transit but marked as delivered, there may be no way to fight it with your credit card company since the tracking will say delivered.
Old 12-04-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

^Yep, that is happening with me frequently where the tracking says "delivered today, handed directly to a resident" a day or two before it is actually delivered.
Old 12-04-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
^Yep, that is happening with me frequently where the tracking says "delivered today, handed directly to a resident" a day or two before it is actually delivered.
Same here. Doesn't matter if they leave the package on my porch or in the mail box it always says "delivered today, handed directly to a resident".
Old 12-04-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^I'm getting that now as well. I'm sure that's how the post office is marking it - even though they don't actually hand it to someone. It used to be "left on your front porch" or "look where you normally get your mail."
Old 12-04-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I'm getting that now as well. I'm sure that's how the post office is marking it - even though they don't actually hand it to someone. It used to be "left on your front porch" or "look where you normally get your mail."
i think a lot of the ones where it is saying "handed directly to a resident" are where Amazon is using their own delivery service.
Old 12-04-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
i think a lot of the ones where it is saying "handed directly to a resident" are where Amazon is using their own delivery service.
Not here. It's 90% USPS and 10% UPS. We're too "rural" (if you can call a population of ~76,000 rural) for Amazon delivery services. UPS mostly when "We're going to be in your area so will deliver ourselves." It's *always* late when UPS does that. USPS would have delivered by 11am and UPS won't show until 6PM or later.
Old 12-04-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
Oh, it was definitely damaged before shipping. I've had packages arrive with the box in tatters, but the contents is normally always acceptable. It may not be obvious from the photo, but the box isn't exactly crushed. Looks to me like it got caught in some machinery, maybe a conveyor belt. I was restrained in my feedback on Amazon's returns page, but did say that both the picker and definitely the packer should be ashamed.
Ask for / demand 20-30% off that order. That looks 30% damaged, so that's what you should receive off the order.

Damn, Amazon is getting more sly and sloppy by the day. I keep thinking it isn't possible to hate them more than I do, but I'm constantly further enlightened by posts like the Prime shipping refund being $0 if they miss their delivery. Damn, that's horrible and proof positive that they continue to rape their Prime customers and the $120 per year for Prime is almost all profit for them...
Old 12-04-18, 09:16 PM

Oh, I just requested a replacement. Ordered on Saturday at 1pm, and arrived (apparently) intact this afternoon. Very fast work and no Prime!
Old 12-05-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had an order due today. I look at the tracking and as of yesterday it was at the nearest major city near me and this is how it was marked at their latest tracking notes:

"Delivery attempted - Signature is required or unable to find secure location"

There is no signature required for this item and the delivery address is a P.O. box. The whole point of a P.O box is that it IS secured.
Old 12-05-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's an interesting one. On the item details page (at present) it says "Freeo one-day" Prime shipping. When you add teh item to the cart you have a choice of boxes to click on for shipping. The first one is "one day shipping" at the cost of $3.99. Not really free if I have to pay $3.99 for it. This is after meeting the $35 threshhold.

Amazon Amazon

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.