Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Adult DVD Empire/DVD Empire ships free shipping items(ordered Business Days before 3pm EST) the same day you order them. That's how they make their money. Amazon- orders(free shipping) sitting around for days on end and the CC isn't being charged plus it gives the customer the chance to cancel the order.
Old 06-08-16, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by jjcool
It just seems silly to me to bitch and moan about a company's service, when they let you know before you even place the order what service you are going to get. They don't hide the fact that the free shipping threshold is $50, and that free shipping will take x amount of days. People agree to these stipulations before they order, and then complain when their package arrives on time as promised.
Well it looks like arriving on time as promised is not always the case. I don't always monitor the dates since they typically take up to three weeks and in the old days I had multiple orders so something was generally shipping regularly, but this time I only had one thing on order so I tended to check it periodically. I ordered a DVD complete series set on May 17th with a delivery date of by June 9th. When it took until June 7th to ship I expected a pretty quick turn around, but not the case this time. The scheduled arrival date is now June 15th.
Old 06-09-16, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Add me to the list of rare breeds that thinks Amazon has gone Majorly Downhill. They no longer issue price difference refunds if the item you purchase goes down in pricing the next morning.
Old 06-09-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
Well it looks like arriving on time as promised is not always the case. I don't always monitor the dates since they typically take up to three weeks and in the old days I had multiple orders so something was generally shipping regularly, but this time I only had one thing on order so I tended to check it periodically. I ordered a DVD complete series set on May 17th with a delivery date of by June 9th. When it took until June 7th to ship I expected a pretty quick turn around, but not the case this time. The scheduled arrival date is now June 15th.
NO!!!! Really??? A week late??? And poor you with nothing else to watch.
Old 06-09-16, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
NO!!!! Really??? A week late??? And poor you with nothing else to watch.
Thanks for the concern, really...but yes I do have plenty too watch.

I am not fretting this delivery change. However, what some have been indicating, including myself, is that Amazon's free-shipping service has been on the decline. In previous years, a three week window typically meant receiving the package in the first two weeks. Now I'm finding my deliveries are tending to come in the last few days.

The counter-argument was that we went into it knowing the time frame and ordered anyway, and that as long as Amazon met their expected delivery window there should be no complaints. Well, I was just pointing out that with this current order they failed to do that. A three-week delivery window just changed into four weeks in the last days. In the recent past when an order was shipped within the last two days, Amazon would at least expedite it to two day shipping to make the date. Apparently, not this time. We are talking about an item in-stock when ordered. One would think three-weeks would be sufficient time to have it delivered.

I remember when Amazon was on top and people took shots at DeepDiscount for their late free-shipping. Well, my experience of late is that DD's free-shipping is now much quicker than Amazon's. This is more about stating an observation then complaining. Amazon used to get 90% of my on-line business, but now they are down to around 10%. There are still a few circumstances when Amazon comes in cheaper or has something not available elsewhere, but for the most part I have taken my business elsewhere.
Old 06-09-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Of course it's not always the case. No one said it was.
Old 06-09-16, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Of course it's not always the case. No one said it was.
Hmmm...based on your previous comment of:

"and that free shipping will take x amount of days. People agree to these stipulations before they order, and then complain when their package arrives on time as promised."

I thought someone did. Apparently, my mistake.
Old 06-09-16, 12:42 PM

Amazon policy on Free Shipping:

"Orders including $25 or more of eligible books qualify for FREE Shipping. All orders of $49 or more of eligible items across any product category also qualify for FREE Shipping. With free shipping, your order will be delivered 5-8 business days after all of your items are available to ship, including pre-order items."

This order contained only one-item and it was in-stock at time of order and was never listed as out-of-stock during the times I was able to check.
Old 06-09-16, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Add me to the list of rare breeds that thinks Amazon has gone Majorly Downhill. They no longer issue price difference refunds if the item you purchase goes down in pricing the next morning.
It is rather gratifying to see that more people are actually stopping and thinking, and realizing that Amazon is no longer that panacea that it used to be. Amazon has most definitely gone downhill in the last 3 to 5 years, become exceedingly avaricious, rapacious, and less "friendly" as a company.

Perhaps our rare breed will come, in time, to smack Amazon's cavalier attitude in the face. Where it counts... with our wallets, or rather, lack of funds from those same wallets... I fervently hope so, as they are in need of a wake-up call.
Old 06-10-16, 09:06 AM

Amazon policy on Free Shipping:

"Orders including $25 or more of eligible books qualify for FREE Shipping. All orders of $49 or more of eligible items across any product category also qualify for FREE Shipping. With free shipping, your order will be delivered 5-8 business days after all of your items are available to ship, including pre-order items."

This order contained only one-item and it was in-stock at time of order and was never listed as out-of-stock during the times I was able to check.
If those are the facts, I would agree that is unacceptable service.
Old 06-10-16, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle
It is rather gratifying to see that more people are actually stopping and thinking, and realizing that Amazon is no longer that panacea that it used to be. Amazon has most definitely gone downhill in the last 3 to 5 years, become exceedingly avaricious, rapacious, and less "friendly" as a company.

Perhaps our rare breed will come, in time, to smack Amazon's cavalier attitude in the face. Where it counts... with our wallets, or rather, lack of funds from those same wallets... I fervently hope so, as they are in need of a wake-up call.
Reality check for the Kool-aid you're apparently drinking. Amazon's e-commerce sales were up 32% for the last period reported. So ... good luck smacking them with your wallet.
Old 06-10-16, 10:29 AM

If those are the facts, I would agree that is unacceptable service.
"I would agree that is unacceptable service" would have been just fine as a response, but why the "If those are the facts..."? Just a need to get in one last dig to try and dispute it? Obviously, that addition could be added to about any response on here, if one wanted to. Just as "IMO" in most cases. Tough crowd. I wouldn't have presented it as I did if it wasn't the facts, but I guess that's meaningless if someone else already has their mind set.

In any case, I will bow out now. I represented my observations as honestly as I could. People can either accept them or ignore them, but I did nothing to try and skew them against Amazon. In fact, I even agreed with someone above that sometimes Amazon's shipping approach can be favorable when a recent order gets tied in with one at the later end of the shipping range.
Old 06-10-16, 11:24 AM

"I would agree that is unacceptable service" would have been just fine as a response, but why the "If those are the facts..."? Just a need to get in one last dig to try and dispute it? Obviously, that addition could be added to about any response on here, if one wanted to. Just as "IMO" in most cases. Tough crowd. I wouldn't have presented it as I did if it wasn't the facts, but I guess that's meaningless if someone else already has their mind set.

In any case, I will bow out now. I represented my observations as honestly as I could. People can either accept them or ignore them, but I did nothing to try and skew them against Amazon. In fact, I even agreed with someone above that sometimes Amazon's shipping approach can be favorable when a recent order gets tied in with one at the later end of the shipping range.
Please don't take it personally, because I don't know you personally.

This is the Internet. There are three possibilities:

1. Someone posting does not have the best intentions.

2. They have the best intentions, but they have their facts wrong.

3. They have the best intentions and their facts are right.

So, 2 out of 3 outcomes are unhelpful, to say the least.

Now, if you never get your facts wrong, please post such. Heck, I might even add it to my signature. Otherwise, lighten up.
Old 06-10-16, 12:01 PM

Please don't take it personally, because I don't know you personally.

This is the Internet. There are three possibilities:

1. Someone posting does not have the best intentions.

2. They have the best intentions, but they have their facts wrong.

3. They have the best intentions and their facts are right.

So, 2 out of 3 outcomes are unhelpful, to say the least.

Now, if you never get your facts wrong, please post such. Heck, I might even add it to my signature. Otherwise, lighten up.
Funny, I've never been anything but "light" in these discussions. Of course it isn't always easy to interpret one's state of mind based on a post. I just find it interesting that while my posts have been nothing but representing basic observations in a relaxed logical tone, yours have been such as:

- If those are the facts,
- NO!!!! Really??? A week late??? And poor you with nothing else to watch.
- Now, if you never get your facts wrong, please post such.

If anything, it is obvious to anyone reading who the one is that needs to "lighten up", so to speak. And as typical in discussion like this, if you can't dispute what has been stated, just challenge the person's credibility or act like they are the one's over the top.

Anyway, have a nice day, it has been an interesting exchange.
Old 06-10-16, 03:08 PM

If anything, it is obvious to anyone reading who the one is that needs to "lighten up", so to speak. ... snip
First, you don't speak for anyone but yourself. Second, I question your grasp of the obvious. For example, when someone else called your post "bullshit" I guess that was more chill than I'm being ... right?

Not to be mean-spirited, but let me sum up your position.

'Hi, I'm bsmith. I spent $6,000 on Amazon last year but don't have Prime. I've pretty much taken my business elsewhere because Amazon's free service is not what it used to be. I want to mention that in post after post after post after post even though I acknowledge I'm in no hurry for what's coming anyway. I want to complain about Amazon Prime making Amazon more like Costco, even though, yeah ... I'm a Costco member. I greatly prefer the free shipping I get from DD but I haven't made the mental leap that if Amazon stopped offering free shipping that would go away faster that I can say Amazon Prime.'

So ... as far as what's obvious ... I wouldn't go there if I were you.
Old 06-10-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Reality check for the Kool-aid you're apparently drinking. Amazon's e-commerce sales were up 32% for the last period reported. So ... good luck smacking them with your wallet.
Could that fact, which is probably "damned lies" as statistics are wont to be, possibly have any modicum of relation to Amazon's tactics of raising and using a Big Stick?

Many people have traded in convenience for price these days (foremost among them those pesky Millenials). Amazon definitely has capitalized upon this fact. It rubs me, as a value-minded consumer the WRONG way.

There are still 24 hours in a day, and some of us are able to see past Amazon's latest ploys.

Same idea goes for using grocery store coupons effectively. I spend less than 20 minutes per week and save probably 1/2 on my grocery bill. It's just about being savvy and intellgently using all resources out there. That's time well-spent in my eyes.

Amazon is "easy" and convenient, but it's expensive, they know it, and the glory days are over...

I'm enjoying my Kool Aid... not grape-flavored, most fortunately!
Old 06-10-16, 04:21 PM

First, you don't speak for anyone but yourself. Second, I question your grasp of the obvious. For example, when someone else called your post "bullshit" I guess that was more chill than I'm being ... right?

Not to be mean-spirited, but let me sum up your position.

'Hi, I'm bsmith. I spent $6,000 on Amazon last year but don't have Prime. I've pretty much taken my business elsewhere because Amazon's free service is not what it used to be. I want to mention that in post after post after post after post even though I acknowledge I'm in no hurry for what's coming anyway. I want to complain about Amazon Prime making Amazon more like Costco, even though, yeah ... I'm a Costco member. I greatly prefer the free shipping I get from DD but I haven't made the mental leap that if Amazon stopped offering free shipping that would go away faster that I can say Amazon Prime.'

So ... as far as what's obvious ... I wouldn't go there if I were you.
Wow...did I hit a nerve or what. Now who needs to lighten up.

Who exactly called my post "bullshit" that followed it up with anything of relevance to dispute it. I might have missed it. Did they counter a re-response from me?

And please enlighten me on what I stated that was "bullshit", using your terminology.

Oh and I really like your latest technique of quoting something that at a glance appear to be coming from me when in fact it is your own interpretation. And this coming just after you accused me of speaking for others and you turn right around and attempt to speak for me. Laughable at best.

As for your interpretation:
- Yes, I spent over $6000 at Amazon last year. guilty as charged
- Yes, I have taken 90% of that Amazon business elsewhere because the free-shipping service is more appealing elsewhere
- Yes, I am a Costco member because i find the cost of the service justified for the value i am getting, and no i do not feel the same way about Amazon Prime. However, i have never disputed the value it may bring to others. guilty again.
- No at this time I do not agree that if Amazon took away their free shipping that others would follow suit, especially given that they are now probably getting more business as a result of Amazon's changes, but only time will tell.

Somehow it comes across differently when in my words then your, but I will let others make their own interpretation. And nothing like selective picking to try and make a point. You had to go back almost two months to pull out the information used in that post. What's wrong you didn't find anything in any of the more recent posts to your liking?

I also enjoyed how you used your 2 out of 3 scenario as a statistic about what is helpful and not helpful to slant in a negative fashion. Unfortunately, I have to disagree again (my opinion of course) since i would say that number 3: "They have the best intentions and their facts are right" are of a much higher percentage than the other two options combined, especially when it comes to people purposely having having bad intentions. But i guess i am more of an optimist then you.

All this back and forth and yet nothing to actually dispute my observations or findings. Except of course to say "bullshit", which of course is such an effective argument. If your intent is to get under my skin or misdirect the conversation, it isn't working, but it has been interesting.

Last edited by bsmith; 06-10-16 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 09:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Bsmith, how many orders was that $6000? I don't order nearly that much, about 200 orders at mostly $5-10 each. Most of those orders gave me $1 digital credit. Almost $200 worth of free ebooks, music, and movies more than pays for Prime in my mind, not even factoring in all the other Prime benefits.
Old 06-10-16, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Bsmith, how many orders was that $6000? I don't order nearly that much, about 200 orders at mostly $5-10 each. Most of those orders gave me $1 digital credit. Almost $200 worth of free ebooks, music, and movies more than pays for Prime in my mind, not even factoring in all the other Prime benefits.
I went through my orders for the year of 2015. I spent about $6172 on 129 orders. While I can see how someone might be able to capitalize, I don't externally stream, do digital books, or download music.

What I do have is my own Synology NAS that I use to stream digital content I own based on physical media I've purchased. And even in that case it is generally content to stream to family iPads. For myself that consists of content of either lesser video quality or that i would have difficulty finding time for to view in my theater room for several years. I prefer viewing in the theater room whenever possible, and I am not setup to stream there.

I have over 350 TV series and 2000 movies on physical media. Mostly pre-70's.
Old 06-10-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I went through my orders for the year of 2015. I spent about $6172 on 129 orders.
Wow, that's almost $48 per purchase. What exactly did you buy?
Old 06-10-16, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
At a quick glance about 250 DVD/Blu-ray purchases (some individuals, some sets, some TV seasons) About $4500

About $300 for my Synology server (box and drive)
About $500 in Livescribe echo pens
About $200 in books
About $100 in music
About $600 under other miscellaneous items.
Old 06-11-16, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Also, remember I'm into free-shipping so I had to always be over the $35 minimum of last year. With the new minimum my average would probably needed to increase to around $62 a year.

Just to put something in perspective about the $6000 that was re-brought up with no frame of reference to its initial intent. Earlier in the thread some were making the point that Amazon would not miss non-PRIME customers if they went away because obviously they don't spend enough if they didn't see value in the cost of PRIME, if for nothing else then the free shipping. I knew I spent a fair amount to be a valued customer, so I went and totaled my 2015 purchases. I presented the $6000 amount not for any type of bragging rights but just to present that non-PRIME customers may be providing more value to Amazon then some realized.

Now I can also see where some might think, "you spent almost $6200, what's the big deal to another $100 for PRIME". My response to that is that I shop for best deals like many frequenting these forums, so my goal is to maximize what I am getting for my dollar. This means waiting for price drops and special deals, and free-shipping. While only $100, it is still $100 that I could use to buy another 7 to 10 DVDs/Blu-rays. It just goes against the grain of shopping for deals. This is my opinion, and not to insinuate others can't benefit from the services of PRIME.

Price saving is my chief concern (items cost + shipping). Raising the minimum for free-shipping from $35 to $50 has had an impact on my ability to build orders while maximizing savings. Shipping times is the least of my concerns. The reality is that i had become complacent with Amazon. These changes forced me to go back and more aggressively search out deals. While doing this I came to realize Amazon's price was not as competitive as before and there free-shipping slower than in the past. I didn't reduce my shopping at Amazon due to slow free-shipping, but it did become an observation and now an extra benefit provided by the other vendors I've been using.

The only reason I came back into this thread was to state my observations about differences I've noted between how free-shipping in being handled by Amazon now versus just a few years back. I would have been done several posts back, except "ctyankee" seemed to have issues with my motives that needed further clarification.
Old 06-12-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Hmmm...based on your previous comment of:

"and that free shipping will take x amount of days. People agree to these stipulations before they order, and then complain when their package arrives on time as promised."

I thought someone did. Apparently, my mistake.
Agreed. Your mistake.
Old 06-22-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is the complaint thread but just a heads up. As of yesterday if you bought e-books from Amazon between April 2010 and May 2012 you should have some Amazon credit on your account due to the settlement of price fixing done by Apple.
Old 06-22-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I think I only bought one ebook in that period and it only $0.99, so it looks like I'm SOL on that front.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.