Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy has ruined their layout - now mixing DVDs with Blu-rays.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy has ruined their layout - now mixing DVDs with Blu-rays.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: Best Buy has ruined their layout - now mixing DVDs with Blu-rays.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I took a drive to Best Buy tonight to look for the Elm Street collection. Noticed that they'd made this switch. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. It actually made the shelves in the horror section look full, something that very rarely happens lately.
I went to another store on Friday and for some reason I didn't see a horror section at all. Only saw Action/Sci-Fi, Drama, Family and Disney.
Old 10-15-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
This is obviously a joke, since the chain won't be around long enough for that to happen.

Some of you guys bitch about the smallest things. I mean, how fucking hard is it to walk by four racks instead of two? Or pick the DVD vs. the Blu-Ray when they're in the same space?

There are changes that they've made that I don't agree with, but mixing DVD's and Blu-Rays...not that big of a deal.
Old 10-15-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

They're separated on MY racks.
Old 10-15-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I took a drive to Best Buy tonight to look for the Elm Street collection. Noticed that they'd made this switch. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. It actually made the shelves in the horror section look full, something that very rarely happens lately.
wasn't bad in my location either...
Old 10-15-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino

Some of you guys bitch about the smallest things. I mean, how fucking hard is it to walk by four racks instead of two? Or pick the DVD vs. the Blu-Ray when they're in the same space?

There are changes that they've made that I don't agree with, but mixing DVD's and Blu-Rays...not that big of a deal.
hey, look! our resident BB apologist! please. it's a cluster fuck. fortunately my store has not done it, but the pictures i've seen from stores doing it are horrible. just to save some stupid space. i mean physical media is dying out and is less and less a part of the long term plans. i get it. but let's not hasten it's demise by making it fucking impossible to find shit there. just pisses people off and drives them into other avenues.
Old 10-15-12, 06:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Meh. It takes me maybe an extra minute or two every time I visit looking at the BDs. And it opens me up to seeing the bargain DVDs that I might miss otherwise.
Old 10-15-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
hey, look! our resident BB apologist! please. it's a cluster fuck. fortunately my store has not done it, but the pictures i've seen from stores doing it are horrible. just to save some stupid space. i mean physical media is dying out and is less and less a part of the long term plans. i get it. but let's not hasten it's demise by making it fucking impossible to find shit there. just pisses people off and drives them into other avenues.
Yes, because if you wanted to find, say, Avengers in the Blu-Ray section, you'd go to the "A" in the Action section and there it would be. However, if they're mixed, you'd go to the..."A" in the action section, and there it would be.

You're right...that would be impossible to find.
Old 10-15-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, because if you wanted to find, say, Avengers in the Blu-Ray section, you'd go to the "A" in the Action section and there it would be. However, if they're mixed, you'd go to the..."A" in the action section, and there it would be.
Exactly. How is this an issue for people at all? What extra steps do you need to do now to get a BD compared to before?

You need to walk twice as much to browse the entire movie section. Big deal. You spend more time bitching about it on the internet than you do actually walking through the store.

You might think you see a BD but it's actually a DVD and that's annoying? Seriously? That's your complaint. Don't we all know that a BD is in the smaller, thinner blue cases by now? Or they say 'BLU RAY' on the case?

People will complain about anything if Best Buy is involved. If their favorite mom and pop store did this the same people would say they love it.
Old 10-15-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I haven't read every post in the thread, but I think this new setup might be better than the way it was. I would think it might be helpful for some to see the price difference between the DVD and BD quickly.
Old 10-15-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I haven't read every post in the thread, but I think this new setup might be better than the way it was. I would think it might be helpful for some to see the price difference between the DVD and BD quickly.
That would be a valid point if the price tag on movies at Best Buy wasn't wrong at least 50% of the time.
Old 10-15-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because you don't mind the changes doesn't mean others can't express a different opinion. No, it's not "fucking hard" to walk by four racks. Still, I don't like the change even though I usually walk through both the DVD and Blu-ray sections when I go to BB, which has been less and less. I don't like it for the same reason I sort my Blu-rays separate from my DVDs. It's how I prefer to view stuff. With business down I can't fathom why a store would make a change that a percentage of their customer base won't like. But, whatever.
Old 10-15-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe a larger percentage of their customer base does like it. We don't know that and the dvdtalk community isnt exactly the majority. This may work for the average consumer who would like to see the price difference right away before choosing to go BD or DVD. Maybe having them together will lead to more people discovering the advantages of Blu Ray. Or simply, maybe its a space saving technique to give them a chance to bring in new products.

Bottom line is that we don't know... unless you've done the same market research Best Buy has.
Old 10-15-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one of my local best buys changed over and doesn't really bother me. for me it makes looking for dvds easier, because I no longer have to figure out what genre they put X title since its all alphabetized (minus family movies and tv titles) now if they separate genres then i may have an issue.
Old 10-16-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only one store here has made that switch and to me, it wasn't that bad. I was taken aback at first and kind of surprised but I don't shop there enough anymore for it to be a real bother anyway.

They'll phase all of that out eventually. I remember when the Best Buy I used to shop at when I was growing up had mixed VHS and DVD and thought it was blasphemy.
Old 10-16-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't know how it could be better? DVD's were always alphabetical within random categories while Blu's were just alphabetical not separated into categories. If they want to put them all together fine, just don't make me guess what you're going to categorize a movie as.
Old 10-16-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

You're right...that would be impossible to find.
considering my local best buy has the organization skills of a 3 year old, and shit is hidden behind other shit; yes, this makes it impossible to find shit.
Old 10-16-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Maybe a larger percentage of their customer base does like it. We don't know that and the dvdtalk community isnt exactly the majority. This may work for the average consumer who would like to see the price difference right away before choosing to go BD or DVD. Maybe having them together will lead to more people discovering the advantages of Blu Ray. Or simply, maybe its a space saving technique to give them a chance to bring in new products.

Bottom line is that we don't know... unless you've done the same market research Best Buy has.
Did you see a number by my use of percentage? I didn't say it was a large or small percentage.

Bottom line is you don't know what Best Buy actually did before making the change. But I'll try to remember to do all that research that is required here at dvdtalk before posting an opinion.
Old 10-16-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
This may work for the average consumer who would like to see the price difference right away before choosing to go BD or DVD.
I could actually buy this one if BB indeed did price all of their media and if the prices on the media it did price were actually correct.
Old 10-16-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
Did you see a number by my use of percentage? I didn't say it was a large or small percentage.
You said "With business down I can't fathom why a store would make a change that a percentage of their customer base won't like." Clearly you think that the percentage is significant enough.

But you don't know the basic cost/benefit of the change. A percentage doesn't like it, but maybe their research shows that a significant percentage will like it and it will lead to higher sales. This makes the change fathomable.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, just that the percentage that doesn't like it is insignificant. Best Buy doesn't cater to hobby dvd buyers. If they did, they'd organize their dvd's by the last name of the key grip, like the real collectors do.

Bottom line is you don't know what Best Buy actually did before making the change. But I'll try to remember to do all that research that is required here at dvdtalk before posting an opinion.
Anyone that's taken an intro to marketing class knows that businesses don't make these kind of changes off the cuff. Market research is always involved.

Example: the reason dvd's are broken up by genre and not the significantly simpler alphabetical is because it leads the customer to have to search for the product they are looking for. If they can make a customer browse for what they want they're more likely to stop and see something else that they want. These kind of changes aren't done by accident.

Last edited by Goat3001; 10-16-12 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

The last time I was in BB I think they were "resetting" to do this. But as I rarely visit the store I'm a bit mixed about the change. I can see it being a pain to look for stuff but it was hard enough already so... I'd rather just order it online and have it delivered free to the house. Of course there are those few items that are on sale in the store and not online or sold out online necessitating a trip to the store - the reason I was there on my last visit. I almost didn't find what I wanted due to poor organization and even though 2 employees were working in the area neither offered to help, actually going out of their way to avoid physical or eye contact. Generally... BB is a pain an any case...
Old 10-16-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
I remember when the Best Buy I used to shop at when I was growing up had mixed VHS and DVD and thought it was blasphemy.
I remember when I started working there , DVD was in two small, half height aisles and VHS had 6-7 full height aisles.

When I left: VHS was gone, replaced with an aisle of dirt bike/tuner car/wrasslin' DVD's.
Old 10-16-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

www.amazon.com

If Best Buy really profits from selling DVD's, they should be doing whatever it takes to make people happy and keep them browsing - and impulse purchasing. There's almost no reason to browse/buy DVD's at the store anymore - other than to get out of the house.
Old 10-17-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was always told that there was hardly any money made on movies/music, and the reason those items were even there was to get butts in the door in hopes they would buy other items.

Which my managers wanted those other items to be either disc storage binders, or a 2-year contract with MSN. Or in some bizarro world, a Karaoke machine.

I admit I love that the internet has given me the power to purchase items that are more to my liking, but I often miss browsing to see what is new/available. Sure Amazon is cheaper and takes less effort to peruse, but popping into my local used CD store is more fun.
Old 10-18-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fucking hard is it to put a film in the correct category? Maybe if I didn't have to search for shit all the time I wouldn't mind as much. Between looking where it should be, then when it's not there, where the employee thinks it belongs (oh, such and such actor is funny, therefore ALL their films go under comedy...), next the seasonal displays (hey, I realize you want to call attention to things like horror flicks towards Halloween, but how about stocking a few on the shelves before delegating every copy in the store to a cardboard display that if you're lucky is somewhere obvious), then the end cap hangers (god knows what may or may not be on the 8 or more of those from week to week), and finally, the dump bins (there's no good way of searching those things, and when you find something you like it's usually beat to shit). Call me crazy, but if you're not saving any space, and alphabetical allowed me to actually find what I was looking for...

As for your other suggestions, when a company is facing financial difficulties, the correct decision is to not do things that will drive away more business.
Old 10-18-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I actually hate was Fry's has done recently with Blu-ray. Their DVD's were always separated by category, but the Blu-rays weren't which was nice. Now they've done it with Blu as well. I hate that shit. Where do you find a comedy with some action like 21 Jump Street? Where do you find a borderline drama/horror film like Jacob's Ladder? Who fucking knows. Check all the sections. Waste of time. A-Z is fine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.