Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy has ruined their layout - now mixing DVDs with Blu-rays.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-11-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched and didn't find a thread for this, and I didn't see it mentioned in the last couple Best Buy threads, so if it's old news then just ignore. I only just realized it though. I was just in my local Best Buy store and they were in the process of totally changing their DVD/BD layout. It's a mess, a complete mess and I think it's going to confuse a lot of customers. They have now started to mix all of the DVDs with all of the Blu-rays. Maybe I'm being anal about it, but I hate it with a passion.

I took a couple quick pictures...

Old 10-11-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy has ruined their layout - now mixing DVDs with Blu-rays.

I know a fair amount of people who don't even know what a blu-ray is (mostly people in their 50s and 60s like my parents), so I could see this confusing some people. But if you know what you're looking for, as I'm sure you do, why does it matter?
Old 10-11-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you know what you're looking for, what is on BD for sure, then it isn't a problem. It could just be annoying to be scanning them all and see a title and think it's on BD only to realize it's just a DVD instead, have it be because the BD isn't in stock or maybe it isn't even on BD at all but you didn't know that for sure or not. It just seems like a change for the worst for no good reason to me.
Old 10-11-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I dont remember the thread... U r correct this was mentioned in some other place... But goo idea for a thread on its own... Btw... We alk should call corporate & complain.... Cause this plain sucks....
Old 10-11-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just found the thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...-stores-7.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...-stores-8.html
Old 10-11-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost told them what I thought about the change as they were doing it, in a joking way while still being dead serious about it, but I thought that may have come across like an assholish move since they're just doing what they are told. Surely they realize how awful a decision it is though. To me, anyone with half a brain would know that.

But hey, this is Best Buy afterall.
Old 10-11-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I almost told them what I thought about the change as they were doing it, in a joking way while still being dead serious about it, but I thought that may have come across like an assholish move since they're just doing what they are told. Surely they realize how awful a decision it is though. To me, anyone with half a brain would know that.

But hey, this is Best Buy afterall.
Agree. I did tell them what I thought of it but I was just telling the truth. If that makes me an asshole then so be it.

In addition to DVD and BD jammed together, they have every version of the BD in the same spot. That's fine except they just stick up a sign with the price and the customer is left to guess which version is on sale.

Locally, the selection has dropped to about 20% of what it was a couple of months ago. They have almost no catalogue titles. It is truly pitiful.
Old 10-11-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I searched and didn't find a thread for this, and I didn't see it mentioned in the last couple Best Buy threads, so if it's old news then just ignore. I only just realized it though. I was just in my local Best Buy store and they were in the process of totally changing their DVD/BD layout. It's a mess, a complete mess and I think it's going to confuse a lot of customers. They have now started to mix all of the DVDs with all of the Blu-rays. Maybe I'm being anal about it, but I hate it with a passion.

I took a couple quick pictures...
Your first mistake was being in that store to begin with.
Old 10-11-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Your first mistake was being in that store to begin with.
Touché.
Old 10-11-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

If you know what you're looking for, what is on BD for sure, then it isn't a problem. It could just be annoying to be scanning them all and see a title and think it's on BD only to realize it's just a DVD instead, have it be because the BD isn't in stock or maybe it isn't even on BD at all but you didn't know that for sure or not. It just seems like a change for the worst for no good reason to me.
Don't forget the genre issue as well. Even if you know what film you are looking for BB might have a film placed in the wrong section (drama film in the action category etc).
Old 10-11-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It has been years, but wasn't that a major pain in the ass issue at Circuit City too?

Ugh.
Old 10-11-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

This would bother me if I actually looked for a non-new release more than once in a great while there. These days if I do stop in it's to get something new that week and it's in the new release section anyway.

I could see this resulting in more incorrect pulls for In-Store pickup since I wouldn't expect the clerk to go as far as actually confirm the SKU and edition is correct when filling the order.
Old 10-11-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch.. haven't been in bestbuy in awhile, but now we have to walk down like 4 valleys to scan the titles vs 2.. makes me not want to upgrade and save at all right now.
Old 10-11-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The combining of the DVD and blu-ray sections doesn't really bother me. The organization by genre does. When everything is A-Z it's fairly easy to find a specific title. But with this new layout I don't know where to look. Many titles don't fall neatly into one genre or another. Or they're put in the wrong area. You have to check each section to be certain that something isn't there which is more time consuming.
Old 10-11-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I know a fair amount of people who don't even know what a blu-ray is (mostly people in their 50s and 60s like my parents), so I could see this confusing some people. But if you know what you're looking for, as I'm sure you do, why does it matter?
It matters when you just want to check out the blu-rays and now you got to walk through every freaking aisle. It'll also be confusing when reading a sign with a sale price and now you got to double check with format it's for. This just plain sucks. One more reason not to go to a brick and mortar store called Best Buy.
Old 10-11-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Honestly, given how huge of a disaster their movie section typically is, this doesn't bother me all that much. I'm kind of used to not being able to find shit there anyway.
Old 10-12-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Yet another step in BB's slow, inevitable march toward dropping optical media outright.
Old 10-12-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

And me dropping Best Buy outright. Love all the unsealed slipcovers with price tags stuck on them in that picture. They've lost many sales from me just because of that.

And it bears repeating that they lost a $2000 TV purchase from me because their store makes it impossible to actually check out stuff. I bought it at Fry's instead, even though they had it priced higher and had to jump through a few hoops to get them to price-match, because I felt they deserved my money more since I could actually do stuff with the TVs in the store and see how they worked instead of just watching a demo feed on a wall-mounted TV with no remote.
Old 10-12-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Maybe they should mix the XBox, PS3 and Wi games together while they're at it.
Old 10-12-12, 09:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe they should mix the XBox, PS3 and Wi games together while they're at it.
That might be going a little far, but I think I'd like to be able to find video titles sorted by their names and then choosing the format I wanted. Price could be the determinant of what I select. And it could work that way for games as well.
Old 10-13-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My bestbuy still has their blu-rays and dvds separated so there is nothing to complain about...........yet
Old 10-13-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From the Upgrade & Save Thread in the Blu-ray Bargains Forum...

Originally Posted by hariseldon
About the store reorganization.

There are 2 different threads in the Best Buy Community Forums if anybody wants to take their comments over there. Since that forum is at least moderated by BBY employees I'd think the more complaints they get there, the more good it might do to get things fixed.

I'd encourage any and all to jump and state their opinion. Over here we're just bitching to the choir, at least over there maybe some of the messages get sent upstairs.

Best Buy Community Forum Thread 1

Best Buy Community Forum Thread 2
Old 10-13-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Saw this today.

Mixing DVDs and blu-rays sounds at least acceptable in theory, but it's a cluttered mess on the shelves.
Old 10-13-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Yet another step in BB's slow, inevitable march toward dropping optical media outright.
This is obviously a joke, since the chain won't be around long enough for that to happen.
Old 10-13-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I took a drive to Best Buy tonight to look for the Elm Street collection. Noticed that they'd made this switch. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. It actually made the shelves in the horror section look full, something that very rarely happens lately.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.