Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Insufficient USPS online postage

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Insufficient USPS online postage

Old 09-22-11, 07:40 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insufficient USPS online postage

If you print online postage and there is insufficient postage, what is the correct policy from USPS. I can't find it on their website.

I used to just add the additional postage amount onto the preprinted label and be done with it. For example if I was off 1 ounce first class, I would just put a 17 cent stamp on it. Now, they take the postage I pay online and what they charge over the counter and print a label for the difference. Since I get a discount for printing my own labels, that usually means I pay more than the actual weight difference. I used to just estimate my postage and just reconcile at the P.O., but now it looks like I may have to be more careful. Any info would be appreciated.

BTW, the link I used to paste into my browser to print my own labels on paypal for any kind of mailing doesn't seem to work anymore, It just takes me to the account info page. Anyone know of a different link than this one:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now
Old 09-22-11, 07:58 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,509
Received 734 Likes on 361 Posts
Re: Insufficient USPS online postage

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
If you print online postage and there is insufficient postage, what is the correct policy from USPS. I can't find it on their website.

I used to just add the additional postage amount onto the preprinted label and be done with it. For example if I was off 1 ounce first class, I would just put a 17 cent stamp on it. Now, they take the postage I pay online and what they charge over the counter and print a label for the difference. Since I get a discount for printing my own labels, that usually means I pay more than the actual weight difference. I used to just estimate my postage and just reconcile at the P.O., but now it looks like I may have to be more careful. Any info would be appreciated.

BTW, the link I used to paste into my browser to print my own labels on paypal for any kind of mailing doesn't seem to work anymore, It just takes me to the account info page. Anyone know of a different link than this one:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now
Just guess and drop it in the mail. If you're in the ballpark, nobody's gonna weigh it if you have a pre-printed label. I do it all the time and I've never had anything returned.
Old 09-23-11, 03:03 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: currently Philly originally from Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,893
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Insufficient USPS online postage

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Just guess and drop it in the mail. If you're in the ballpark, nobody's gonna weigh it if you have a pre-printed label. I do it all the time and I've never had anything returned.
yeah this. if its close to what it should be they don't weight it.
Old 09-28-11, 03:18 PM
  #4  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Insufficient USPS online postage

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
yeah this. if its close to what it should be they don't weight it.
This is what I used to think too, but a first class package got held up at Los Angeles USPS for need .17 worth of postage (I would venture a guess this was 1 oz worth of postage) I had to call three times before they located the packaged and figured out why it hadn't been delivered in over a week.
But generally yeah, ballpark works. But not 100%.
Old 09-28-11, 04:11 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Insufficient USPS online postage

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
yeah this. if its close to what it should be they don't weight it.
Yeah I used to do this. But they have started checking the packages. If I was off .1 ounce I wouldn't worry about it, but had 4 packages sent back to my house and had to add 1 ounce to each one. Two packages were .1 oz off. My P.O. is getting anal, but I have pretty good rapport with most of them and they usually take care of me. I have heard stories about postage being off .03 and the mailman told the person to leave it in the mailbox. they left a nickel and found 2 cents change in the mailbox the next morning.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.