Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Now you get to wait for your Warner Bros. movies from Netflix...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Now you get to wait for your Warner Bros. movies from Netflix...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Now you get to wait for your Warner Bros. movies from Netflix...

Originally Posted by Deftones
I watch all my TV on HDDVR, so I have no need to stream TV. I watch all my movies on blu-ray, so i'd like to have the best sound/picture possible.
I do HD streams of Netflix through my Series 3 Tivo. The HD streams Netflix provides look great on my 58" plasma and my 113" projector screen. I have blu-ray, so I can compare the quality of the HD streams to blu-ray. I know what I'm talking about.

I don't feel the need to buy every show/movie I desire to watch. That's just a waste of money. If someone wants to buy something that's only worth watching once, more power to you. I'll just rent and explore new titles without dropping loads of cash.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 01-10-10 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
For the last few months all of the WB new titles were not shipped to me on release day and went to very long wait right away. So nothing changes. It's just official now. The titles include The Hangover, The Final Destination, My Sister's Keeper, Terminator Salvation, Orphan, and a few others.
I got the Hangover on relase day from netflix, using the strategy I outlined above.
Old 01-10-10, 07:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I got the Hangover on relase day from netflix, using the strategy I outlined above.
I do the same thing. I return all my DVDs by Saturday to get the new releases on Tuesday. It's been hit or miss with WB titles. Mostly miss. I got the new Harry Potter but the other titles I mentioned went to "very long wait." I think they were getting a limited supply of WB titles. They may have been buying them from other resources in the same manner as Redbox.
Old 01-11-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I do HD streams of Netflix through my Series 3 Tivo. The HD streams Netflix provides look great on my 58" plasma and my 113" projector screen. I have blu-ray, so I can compare the quality of the HD streams to blu-ray. I know what I'm talking about.

I don't feel the need to buy every show/movie I desire to watch. That's just a waste of money. If someone wants to buy something that's only worth watching once, more power to you. I'll just rent and explore new titles without dropping loads of cash.
I stream Netflix HD from my Xbox 360 to my 61" Sony DLP. I've noticed that the quality of their HD content is good, better than SD, but not even close to the quality of blu-ray. I don't buy anything anymore either. But the fact remains, until streaming becomes as good as blu-ray, many early adopters won't bother streaming b/c the quality isn't there.
Old 01-11-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
But the fact remains, until streaming becomes as good as blu-ray, many early adopters won't bother streaming b/c the quality isn't there.
People that complain about HD streams not being good enough for a free rental with their Netflix sub have issues.

Me, I'm a film lover I own lots of stuff on VHS that isn't on DVD. I don't cry about companies only releasing stuff on DVD-R. I'd rather watch the film than cry about it and never buy it.

Considering Netflix is a rental company, if they do work the deal that WB stuff can get streamed faster because of the late discs, it doesn't hurt me. It helps be be able to watch it instantly and without a "very long wait".
Old 01-11-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Better this than the studios go back to the old "priced for rental" days of VHS, where most new releases were $80, and only select "blockbusters" were priced to sell on release date.
This would absolutely destroy them.
Old 02-16-10, 05:21 PM

28 day wait for Warner titles in Redbox machines also. Redbox makes deal with Warner: http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/16/war...ch+(TechCrunch)
Old 02-16-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

great. not that i condone piracy in any shape or means, but i hope this backfires in a huge way for Warner.
Old 03-18-10, 01:39 PM

Best Buy is bragging about how you have to wait to rent the Blind Side in next weeks ad. The ad features The Blind Side and and it states "Don't Wait to Rent. Buy It Tuesday."

Old 04-09-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Now you get to wait for your 20th Century Fox movies, too! This is getting absolutely fucking ridiculous.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/n...-fox-first-tv/
Old 04-09-10, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am now convinced to switch to the dark side, damn you Blockbuster, damn you to HELL!
Old 04-09-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just Netflix, if you really can't wait a month there are other rental places.

Personally, I have a dozens of DVDs that I still need to watch (from Hollywood Video, plus some earlier TV show purchases) - I can wait a month to watch The Blind Side or any other movie.
Old 04-09-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Heat
It's just Netflix, if you really can't wait a month there are other rental places.

Personally, I have a dozens of DVDs that I still need to watch (from Hollywood Video, plus some earlier TV show purchases) - I can wait a month to watch The Blind Side or any other movie.
I'm loyal to Netflix for many reasons. I will stick with them, as I'm not about to plunk down money for another service. Personally, I think this is just going to continue driving people towards illegal methods of obtaining movies.
Old 04-09-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4040
I think I am now convinced to switch to the dark side, damn you Blockbuster, damn you to HELL!
I haven't rented from BB in 10 years, this won't really make me go back.

I have rented from "Family Video", and it wasn't anything newly released.

Preventing people from renting a movie isn't going to magically turn into amazing release sales. Sorry studios, those magic days of selling record breaking #'s of discs on release day are gone, partially due to years of you guys tossing out half-assed re-releases and expecting people to buy the movie again.
Old 04-11-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm in the camp that has a lot of movies in my queue, so this won't bother me at all. Even if I did want new releases, I would never go to Blockbuster.
Old 04-12-10, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
That does suck for you guys who use netflix.. I rent all my movies from the library and most of them I don't even have to wait a week for, seeing that I usually search for titles a month before release date and get on the waiting list before everyone else.

Obviously they won't get every title.. but most of the major releases you'll find.
The library (some, I know the one in Apple Valley, Ca does) buy them from Wal-mart they did they come out.