Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

EBAY sellers has ebay giving you the DSR shaft yet?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a notice from ebay this past weekend that since I have below standerd preformance as a seller that my account has been limited to only selling 1 item a week and the dollar amount of that auction can't be over $19.00. they also tell me to Try to raise your score by offering free shipping. But here's the thing, my feedback score is 100% with a couple hundred items sold on ebay but on the detailed sellers rating I have 4.8 to 5 stars on everything except 4 out of 5 stars on the shipping charges. Makes my mind run wild to think that your going to have to have 5 stars on everything to sell on ebay. Has this happend to anyone else?

Last edited by danstheday; 03-30-10 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: EBAY sellers has ebay giving you the DSR shaft yet?

Originally Posted by danstheday
I got a notice from ebay this past weekend that since I have below standerd preformance as a seller that my account has been limited to only selling 1 item a week and the dollar amount of that auction can't be over $19.00. they also tell me to Try to raise your score by offering free shipping. But here's the thing, my feedback score is 100% with a couple hundred items sold on ebay but on the detailed sellers rating I have 4.8 to 5 stars on everything except 4 out of 5 stars on the shipping charges. Makes my mind run wild to think that your going to have to have 5 stars on everything to sell on ebay. Has this happend to anyone else?
Mine is "above standard" and i have 4.8-5 on everything except shipping time which i have a 4.5... 100% and all that. it seems like they don't have a clue
Old 03-31-10, 05:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Since they limit you on shipping charges how can you be charging too much? Ebay is horrible for sellers these days.
Old 03-31-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617
Since they limit you on shipping charges how can you be charging too much? Ebay is horrible for sellers these days.
Only the DVD/CD/Media section is capped like that.

And, yes, I sell a LOT on eBay. After eight years of being a PowerSeller, it was taken away last month. Unfortunately 11 out of 620 people left 1-or-two stars under the individual DSR categories. 11 out of 620 doesn't seem like a terrible # to me. But, per eBay's "standards", I was only allowed 6 (1%).

That said, I'm not a PowerSeller, but had one hell of an explosive week with sales. I owe a lot to it being 'tax season' (budgets get reset, people know where they stand, some get returns). Nobody cares if I'm a PowerSeller. They care that I have 12k feedback, sitting around 98.3% positive.

As long as they don't mess with my selling 'abilities', I don't really think I've ever used any of the "incentives" that they provide. I even got my regular 5% discount (around $500 off my bill) for having an average of 4.7 stars across the board.

I'm going to step it up and try to get back in under the PowerSeller system, just 'because'. I think that it'll just take a constant stream of "please leave feedback" emails to get my score back up. It's not really "poor service" that brings down my 'scores'. Only around half my customers actually leave feedback. If I can get another 25% to leave positives, I should be good.

I now realize that this is just a way for eBay to RAISE THE FEES on sellers, again. Maybe it'll go to add another "wing" to the eBay "campus" (seriously, that place really pisses me off). And they can't even work out 'kinks' in their programming in reasonable time. "Going Green". Haha.

Their "kinks" have become so hilariously common that I started hitting "Print Screen" every time something stupid or contradictive is on the screen. Once I have enough (I'm thinking 100), I'm going to make a collection of them and post online.
Old 03-31-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Oh, and my real argument is this... I clearly post shipping costs, in every listing. Plain and simple, it's clearly stated prior to the sale. Nothing to calculate. It's all transparent.

That said, I should even have to justify it. But I'll do it anyways. Almost half of my day is spent, slaving over boxes. Big stuff (say 30-100 lbs) usually takes around a half hour (say $7 labor) to get from the shelving and get packed up. An average box (say a 24" x 18" x 18") costs me around $3. Peanuts/fill costs another $2-or-so. Add in tape, etc. But to charge an extra $12, on top of the actual postage -well- many would call that excessive.

And eBay lovvveeesss "free shipping"! Because anyone who sells something just figures it into their overall cost. And eBay ends up collecting fees on what would otherwise be a non-taxable amount. So say that I'm going to sell something for $300 + $25 S&H. Instead, I list it for $325. Well, instead of getting 7%-or-so of $300, they get 7% of $325. My monthly FedEx/USPS/R&L bill runs around $15k. Figure in another $3000-or-so in "packaging". I'm sure that eBay would love to collect fees on an extra $18000.
Old 04-01-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

There was a time when I offered free shipping on everything I sold and I still didn't get 5 stars on the DSR for shipping and handling.
Old 04-01-10, 08:19 AM

Same here. Last month I did the whole free shipping thing and most of the dsr feedback left for me was not 5 stars on the shipping fee.
Old 04-01-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm to the point where only about 30-40% of my transaction even leave feedback.
Old 04-01-10, 03:28 PM

The feedback thing is annoying. The biggest pain in the butt people that I bend over backwards to make happy are the ones that don't leave feedback most of the time. When you purchase an item that didn't go into dispute and the transaction is over 2 or 3 weeks old, there should be a pop up every time a person goes on Ebay asking you to leave feedback for that item. It would annoy enough people that most would probably leave feedback.
Old 04-02-10, 09:07 PM

The feedback thing is annoying. The biggest pain in the butt people that I bend over backwards to make happy are the ones that don't leave feedback most of the time. When you purchase an item that didn't go into dispute and the transaction is over 2 or 3 weeks old, there should be a pop up every time a person goes on Ebay asking you to leave feedback for that item. It would annoy enough people that most would probably leave feedback.
What about sellers that leave you bad feedback when you did not leave them feedback?
Old 04-03-10, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
What about sellers that leave you bad feedback when you did not leave them feedback?
you can't leave negative feedback as a seller anymore.
Old 04-03-10, 11:18 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
That pisses me off! I am very explicit in my listings.

I had someone bid and win on an item, then realized it wasn't exactly what they'd wanted. Ebay did nothing and let the "buyer" leave neutral feedback - WFT? On an item they didn't even purchase?
Old 04-04-10, 09:28 PM

Guess I should put more info.

What do you do if you sell something, you ship it, the person like it, but you did not give them feedback 1st, then in turn say it was a good item etc, but leave you bad feedback say something like "Great Item would buy again" but leave a - feedback. Then when you email them, they tell you that you should have left them feedback 1st as they paid you and all.
Old 04-05-10, 03:46 PM

Guess I should put more info.

What do you do if you sell something, you ship it, the person like it, but you did not give them feedback 1st, then in turn say it was a good item etc, but leave you bad feedback say something like "Great Item would buy again" but leave a - feedback. Then when you email them, they tell you that you should have left them feedback 1st as they paid you and all.
Back in the day when a seller could leave a negative feedback I always hated when they refused to leave feedback until you did first. It always seemed like a threat if you left a negative. As a seller if someone pays me in a timely manner, then they have done their part so I leave feedback as soon as I receive payment. I can't leave negative no matter what anymore, so what does it hurt. But getting back to the original point is that it does seem to annoy a lot of people when sellers don't leave feedback as soon as they receive payment.
Old 04-14-10, 12:52 PM

All this is why I stopped using eBay a long time ago. I might buy one or two things a year, at most, but I will never sell another item on eBay again.
Old 04-14-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Then when you email them, they tell you that you should have left them feedback 1st as they paid you and all.
It is true. You, as a seller, should have left feedback first.
Old 04-15-10, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I think you can if you go through all of eBays hoops (filing a did not pay request thingy). I just did that on someone who haggled on a price (best offer), won and still didn't pay. And we were going back and fourth 'live'.
Old 04-15-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ That is one of my favorite posts in a long, long time.
Old 04-15-10, 10:58 PM

I typed that from my phone. eBay has made it to where sellers have to eat anything a buyer wants to dish out to the seller. There is very little a seller can really do if a buyer wish to really buy and not pay. My issue has to do with the sellers holding onto feedback unless a buyer leaves it 1st. My out look is, and has been as a buyer I follow your rules and pay you. As a seller you should leave feedback once a item is ship. Even as a seller I did this long before the new rules when in.
Old 04-16-10, 08:25 AM
Banned

There is a reason why I no longer sell and/or buy of eBay anymore. It used to be a good site but now it has just gotta ridiculous.
Old 04-16-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yeah ebay has become a joke. 12% of what you sell something for on fixed price up to $50 then 9% after that on remaining amount. Insertion fees, Paypal fees. You have nothing left.

Ebay is TRYING to go under. I was there at the VERY beginning and it has went to hell since then.

I used to sell hundreds of things a month was a power seller at one pont, not even by choice, it just happened. That was fine, but now its generally a waste to sell on it. I go to forums, Amazon, etc to sell.
I really do hope they go under, or another auction site comes up with lower prices, which I think WILL happen, only a matter of time.
Old 04-16-10, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
...or another auction site comes up with lower prices, which I think WILL happen, only a matter of time.
We've been singing that motto for years. Nothing.
Old 04-16-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lets do it...
Old 04-16-10, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I think you can if you go through all of eBays hoops (filing a did not pay request thingy). I just did that on someone who haggled on a price (best offer), won and still didn't pay. And we were going back and fourth 'live'.
You still can't leave neg. feedback. The only thing that happens is that they get an invisible unpaid strike. They need to get a few of those to get suspended. But if they play nice for a few months the strike(s) go away. It is a joke.
Old 04-16-10, 04:49 PM

A tip is offer free shipping and if your going to ship to Hawaii or Alaska ship it priority mail. Shipping something from New England media mail free to Hawaii will kill your dsr rating.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.