Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

So I had an order in for the cheap Slumdog Millionaire Blu-ray which was backordered. No big deal.

I get the notice saying it will ship sooner than anticipated, and I get a shipping note over the weekend. It say shipping method is A1 International. I figure, OK, this was a special case with likely high demand, so they shipped it via a different carrier.

Then I notice my pre-order for I Love You, Man shipped the same way.

I tracked the Slumdog package at A1's site and saw an Out For Delivery status yesterday morning. OK.

So I get home at 7:00 pm and nothing. Again no biggie - maybe it comes tomorrow. Still says out for delivery online.

I leave for work this morning, and there's an Amazon box on my doorstep - at 8:30 am. I go online to track it and it was marked delivered at midnight. Yes you read that correct.

So basically this carrier thinks it's just fine to leave packages on dark doorsteps in practically the middle of the night. Unreal.

I just fired off a nastygram to Amazon and if they don't make sure my orders are some reputable carrier like UPS or Fedex, I'm cancelling all my orders and Prime subscription. I mean a $14 Blu-ray is one thing, but what if they did this with my $200 Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray set?

Anyone else have an experience with this carrier?
Old 08-11-09, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

Sounds like a local "guy in a Nissan sentra" type carrier. In my area (Seattle) this is handled by a company named Dynamex. They are usually a same-day carrier, and feel it's completely appropriate to THROW a box from ground-level onto my front porch 5 feet up.

However, their delivery times in the status window do NOT match what time they actually deliver. If A1 is similar, it's more likely the package was delivered between 7 and 9pm, or was handed off to the delivery person at midnight and left on your doorstep at 6am.
Old 08-11-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See that would make sense, but I don't think that's what happened here:

Here are the two tracking line items:

08/11/2009 00:01 LAD FRNT DOOR
08/10/2009 22:25 Arrived at Delivery

This reads like the package was handed off at 10:25 pm, and then LAD (left at door?) at 12:01 am.
Old 08-11-09, 02:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm pissed they shipped my new BD390 ($330) in its actual box and let it sitting out all day on my front porch. My $5 DVD comes in an envelope yet my $330 BD player can't?
Old 08-11-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Weird you should mention this today.

I ordered some stuff on Saturday, and when I tracked my package yesterday the Amazon site showed that A1 had it out for delivery yesterday (08-10). The box never showed up, so I figured it would probably get delivered today, but both the Amazon and A1 sites showed that it had been LAD (Left At Door) yesterday. It wasn't.

Called A1 and they were going to contact the dispatcher in Chicago,etc. Haven't heard back from them, nor do I know where my box is...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-11-09 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'm pissed they shipped my new BD390 ($330) in its actual box and let it sitting out all day on my front porch. My $5 DVD comes in an envelope yet my $330 BD player can't?
Amazon does have this posted on the item's page:

Ships Separately in Original Packaging: To conceal its contents mark it as a gift.
Old 08-11-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah see this is what I was afraid of. This "A1" probably underbid UPS and is going to start delivering for Amazon around here. Uh uh - my Amazon days are done if this is the case.

With UPS 9 times out of 10 my releases would come in today. I was actually looking forward to watching I Love You, Man tonight. Now I have to deal with some rinky-dink courier service who deliver it whenever. Hell no.

Fry's is about to see more money from me. I'll be going there with my 8/18 purchases unless I get a promise from Amazon they will not use this service again for my orders.
Old 08-11-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yeah see this is what I was afraid of. This "A1" probably underbid UPS and is going to start delivering for Amazon around here. Uh uh - my Amazon days are done if this is the case.
Yeah, if this is any indication I'm with you. I may experiment with a couple of additional purchases to see if A-1 Courier Services is used again.
Old 08-11-09, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by awil1026
Amazon does have this posted on the item's page:
Yeah I noticed that after I e-mailed them. Of course, I've bought a MacBook, Vacuum, HD DVD Players, other Blu-ray players etc. and all come shipped in a normal box. Guess I gotta look out for their trickery in the future.
Old 08-11-09, 04:00 PM
Suspended

With UPS 9 times out of 10 my releases would come in today. I was actually looking forward to watching I Love You, Man tonight. Now I have to deal with some rinky-dink courier service who deliver it whenever. Hell no.

Fry's is about to see more money from me. I'll be going there with my 8/18 purchases unless I get a promise from Amazon they will not use this service again for my orders.
At least you get titles on release day. I never do

(But you could also buy I Love You from a retailer today and return your sealed Amazon copy tomorrow...)
Old 08-11-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't do that since I hate making the extra trip. I will just buy locally and wait to see if/when this crap gets sorted out.

I never used to get it Tuesday, but it seemed like in the last year or so they started shipping out of a local UPS hub so I was in a 1-day zone for ground.

I almost ordered the new Oppo BD player this weekend Amazon - so glad I didn't now.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 08-11-09 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

So mods, I guess Why The Fuss is too strong for a thread title? LOL
Old 08-11-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, my missing package - the one that A1 told me was delivered the night before (and wasn't) - was just delivered at 8:49 PM.

Hmmm...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-12-09 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is weak. I got the standard apology letter from Amazon. The "international" CS surprisingly didn't have anything meaningful to offer. Said some BS about passing feedback to the courier, Yeah right,

I guess I'm done with Amazon. Getting rid of the 30 day price guarantee was a nail in the coffin and this is basically the dirt being piled on.
Old 08-12-09, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That is weak. I got the standard apology letter from Amazon. The "international" CS surprisingly didn't have anything meaningful to offer. Said some BS about passing feedback to the courier, Yeah right,

I guess I'm done with Amazon. Getting rid of the 30 day price guarantee was a nail in the coffin and this is basically the dirt being piled on.
I received the same sort of standard Amazon apology, and they are reshipping the two items 1-day, even though I'll just have to return them since my package showed up last night just before 9:00 pm(!). Their customer service is fine, it's A1 I'm not so sold on.

I've got until the 22nd to cancel my Prime trial. What to do...what to do...?
Old 08-12-09, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I'm also from Illinois.

I just ordered some books and crap from Amazon and they ship it via A1 international. This courier is crap, there isn't even an estimated delivery date like with UPS.

Usually when I order stuff with 2-day Prime, I get it in one day with UPS. A1 took 3 days.

I'm done with Amazon if they're going to use this instead of UPS.
Old 08-12-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah they're giving me the spiel about how their system is automated and they can't choose a courier. So what, did their system achieve consciousness and choose to use A1 on its own? I'm sure they could mark customer accounts with details like "only use this carrier" but I'm sure they won't.

Gotta love it when places to try cut costs by going with the lowest bidder only to lose business because the service sucks. What was wrong with the status quo? I bet their UPS rep is going to laugh his ass off when they come back to them asking for more service again.
Old 08-12-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I received the same sort of standard Amazon apology, and they are reshipping the two items 1-day, even though I'll just have to return them since my package showed up last night just before 9:00 pm(!). Their customer service is fine, it's A1 I'm not so sold on.

I've got until the 22nd to cancel my Prime trial. What to do...what to do...?
If you're just in a trial I think you'd have to cancel. I bought my Prime subscription based on the expectation it would be UPS or maybe Fedex. Not some fly by night joint.

I would cancel and tell them exactly why. They need to get complaints from customers if they're going to rethink using this service.
Old 08-12-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you're just in a trial I think you'd have to cancel. I bought my Prime subscription based on the expectation it would be UPS or maybe Fedex. Not some fly by night joint.

I would cancel and tell them exactly why. They need to get complaints from customers if they're going to rethink using this service.
Right now I'm leaning heavily toward "cancel". And letting them know why, for what it's worth.

My first five Prime orders all shipped UPS, by the way.

I have a preorder (Dexter S3 for $18.50) that is supposed to ship next Tuesday, so I think I'll do it once that is sent. Hopefully it won't be A1...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-12-09 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cancelled everything I had pre-ordered through the next few months. The only open order I have is for the PS3 Arkham Asylum game since I got $5 off plus a decent price. If that ships A1 I am definitely done with them. As it stands I just cancelled two dozen orders - this should show I'm not BS-ing about how serious I am. I know they won't care, but if someone in this country actually reviews the correspondence maybe something will be done.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 08-12-09 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, I love prime. It sucks if they were to do this in my area. Most everything here is UPS, although my last two small orders (dvd and cd) have shipped USPS. Both arrived in 1-2 days, the only reason I noticed it USPS was that the items were in my mailbox and not the door like UPS.
Old 08-12-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

USPS would be fine it Amazon used something like Priority. I don't care. Funny thing is, I got to this A1's website and they don't even list that they have offices in IL.
Old 08-12-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a fun link at the Amazon Discussion boards:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/di...x1S36AZK6I1PPQ

Apparently these shenanigans have been going on for some time in other parts of the country. It wasn't until about a year ago that my stuff started shipping from a local UPS hub and I was in a one day zone. Now it seems like that is my downfall, as A1 seems to have taken over deliveries from locations within reach of a local depot.

And as an aside, is A1 about the laziest name one can pick or what? Ooh, look at us, we're at the top of the phone book listings! Apparently they put the same amount of effort into their deliveries as they did with their name.
Old 08-12-09, 06:54 PM

Wow, it's been going on for a year and a half in some parts of the country?

Damn, looks like Amazon has no plans to get rid of A1 in the future. Looks like us Chicagolanders were the recent recipients of the A1 infection and we'll be stuck with it for a long while now.

Anyway, I got another package from A1 today (this time they actually made the 2 day speed). Too bad the guy just threw my package at the door and left. Luckily there were only books in there. I'll think twice before buying electronics from Amazon for a while.

And wtf, can't they get some marked vehicles and uniforms? It looks so weird when some guy in street clothes and a Honda Accord delivers my package. Shady as hell.

Last edited by vg111; 08-12-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, A1 is just AWFUL.

They've been doing New York deliveries for a good year and a half, two years now. I had so many bad experiences with them that I pretty much stopped ordering from Amazon.

I once had to cancel and reorder because their records showed that it had been delivered when it hadn't. While I had the Amazon rep on the phone, I mentioned that this service was really terrible and I'd rather just have items sent first class or media mail. He said he'd "pass that on." Riiiiiight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.