Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

Well another order of mine just shipped via A1.
My Prime trial ends in a week or so - I think I'm done.

Bye bye Amazon. Hello Fry's/BB...
Old 08-13-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Same here. I had one non-media shipment pending. Half shipped UPS from Indy, the other half with f***ing A1. I knew it was going to be them when I didn't get a shipped email until over a day later.

I officially have no open orders with Amazon for the first time in probably 8 years.
Old 08-13-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In effort to maximize my Prime trial before I cancel I ordered some blank DL media. Curious to see who delivers it.

It's a shame they don't realize - and/or don't care - the impression these third-rate couriers have on perception and future sales.

Bummer for them, I guess.
Old 08-13-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in Chicagoland and bummed about this switch. It seems really hit or miss. One of my orders with two day shipping arrived less than 24 hours from ordering it, the other is on day 3 now. Very inconsistent. I live in a high rise apartment, and they left it outside the apartment door rather than at the office where all the other packages get delivered.

The whole point of prime is two-day shipping, and they need to be able to provide that. I'm coming up on my renewal in December, and will not renew if this courier stays. I've had it for a couple years and UPS has worked out great. What a dumb move by Amazon.
Old 08-13-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Another A1 shipment - actually a replacement of the original order that eventually arrived a day after it was marked as delivered - and it just was dropped off on my porch at 9:20 pm. I am done with Amazon.

What the fuck...
Old 08-14-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I got my shipment last night at 9. Apparently A1 left it at the front door of the apartment complex at 7:30. I live in a 16 story building, so there are hundreds of people that go by. Luckily one of the was nice enough to grab it for me and bring it up on their way in before someone else took it. What kind of idiot leaves a package outside the door to an apartment building? I'm done using amazon except for large items I know will go UPS. Sad, as I really liked their service before this.
Old 08-14-09, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it...instead of complaining about it, why aren't you all filing complaints about each of these with Amazon? You have paid for 2 day shipping through Amazon Prime and have a right to receive it - if you're not, you need to be contacting them and demanding they do something about it. I've found Amazon to be very helpful on this front in the past...I'm guessing that if enough of you complain about this service, they'll do something about it.
Old 08-14-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by abrg923
I don't get it...instead of complaining about it, why aren't you all filing complaints about each of these with Amazon? You have paid for 2 day shipping through Amazon Prime and have a right to receive it - if you're not, you need to be contacting them and demanding they do something about it. I've found Amazon to be very helpful on this front in the past...I'm guessing that if enough of you complain about this service, they'll do something about it.
I have, and the response from Amazon was "thanks for the feedback, we'll pass it along to the carrier". They're claiming they don't control the carrier that gets used, which seems like crap. I'm sure it's simply a cost-cutting measure.

In Amazon's defense, they did reship my "ghost" package after A1 couldn't find it, but they used the same carrier. A1's tracking is vague, in most cases inaccurate and this after 9:00 pm delivery is questionable, at best.

I intend on dropping my Prime membership before the end of my trial period and shopping elsewhere. I'll let Amazon know, but I'm sure it will be met with another "thanks, we'll pass on the feedback" letter.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-14-09 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-14-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I'm not sure how you missed the parts of this thread where we said Amazon doesn't appear to care after complaining numerous times. I had already filed my first complaint before I even started the thread.

One might guess they'd do something about long-time customers cancelling dozens of orders over this and explicitly stating so in correspondence to them, but one would be wrong. Just like 12thmonkey - you just get the "we'll pass this along to blah blah blah". I guess that's what happens when you set your frontline support up on the other side of the globe. They can click the Reship and Refund buttons easily enough, but give them a real issue, and it's all form letters and apathy LOL.
Old 08-14-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here we go again:

As an experiment before I cancel my Prime, I ordered some blank DL discs yesterday. They shipped via A1.
I check the status today, and it shows 'out for delivery'. Not bad - 1 day delivery, right?

Then I check the status about 10 minutes ago and it shows 'delivered' within the last 15 minutes. Guess what? It wasn't...

Oddly enough my preorder of Dexter S3 also shipped today, but that went UPS.

UPDATE: Package "appeared" on my porch about 45 minutes after it was marked online as delivered.
So, the good news is that the delivery time was 1 day. Hmmm...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-14-09 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's the problem for me, you never not what you're going to get. I've had amazing turn around time and delivery to my apartment door, and I've had slow turn around and the package left outside the building. I'd prefer consistency over sometimes amazing sometimes horrible.
Old 08-15-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
That's the problem for me, you never not what you're going to get. I've had amazing turn around time and delivery to my apartment door, and I've had slow turn around and the package left outside the building. I'd prefer consistency over sometimes amazing sometimes horrible.
ot, but that reminds of the (common?) saying that mcdonalds excels in mediocrity: the food is very average, but you know you are going to get that very average food every single time.
Old 08-16-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Luckily I havent had anything delivered by a carrier other than UPS or the USPS from Amazon. In fact, UPS just delivered my tvio in a big brown box the other day. even a day earlier than expected.
Old 08-16-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Amazon thread link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/cd/t/Fx20DX...36AZK6I1PPQ/15

My experience:

First package ever delivered by A1, first package ever lost! I called them and someone answered "Hello" like they were sitting on a recliner at home bored watching TV.

Amazon of course is following through with another package, but I'm pissed at A1. We all know each other here, a misdelivered package would have found its way to my front door.

The tracking says "Left at front door."

Sent a handful of emails to Amazon and they didn't care. I told them A1 was ruining their stellar reputation (seriously).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-16-09 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this is my first week in a long time I have had nothing coming from Amazon.

I wound up ordering the Kagemusha Blu-ray from DD and I'm getting Dexter S3 and the Simpsons S12 from Target or Best Buy since their prices are comparable on these items.

Also, I bought Uncharted for the PS3 at $30 and True Blood S1 on Blu for $40 yesterday at Best Buy. Normally Amazon price matches Best Buy and I wait for them.

So right there, that's almost $180 worth of stuff I would have bought this week alone from Amazon. They've lost all those sales over this courier. I've once again emailed them to make this point.

Such a shame.
Old 08-18-09, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Yeah, if this is any indication I'm with you. I may experiment with a couple of additional purchases to see if A-1 Courier Services is used again.
I placed a "Next Day" order for a book which was supposed to arrive on Monday, August 10th. Many calls to Amazon and A-1 with no success. When it FINALLY arrived, 2 days late, the delivery person had alcohol on his breath, (he showed up at 9:30PM), was dressed in street clothes and drove in what I assume to be his own automobile. Amazon was very cool and refunded $3.99 for shipping, and eventually refunded the cost of the book as well.

I'm supposed to be receiving the Dexter: Season 3 box set today. The Amazon email I received stated that it is being shipped via A-1, again. If I do not receive my order today, particularly since I once again ordered next day delivery, I will no longer be an Amazon.com customer. I just did a track of the order on A-1's site and according to them, they don't even have it! I WANT MY UPS!!!!!
Old 08-18-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep just bought Dexter S3 at Target this morning. Same price as Amazon for the Blu-ray set. So I paid tax to avoid the aggravation.
Old 08-19-09, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, this is funny as hell. Some random dude in an Accord throwing packages in the driveway. Welcome to the recession, Amazon
Old 08-19-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bottom line for Prime members is, we are supposed to be guaranteed delivery within two business days of shipment. If we do not get it, we are paying amazon $79 per year for nothing. My wife and I love Prime and have been using it for over three years, but if this happens in our area it will be the end of that membership.

We get 99% of our Prime deliveries from UPS and the remaining 1% from Fedex. In fact our UPS guy jokes with us all the time about how much stuff he delivers. We probably get 80-100 packages per year from amazon alone. Many weeks he stops at our house two or three weekdays.

This is bad, bad news. Stay away from Long Island, A1!
Old 08-19-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Bottom line for Prime members is, we are supposed to be guaranteed delivery within two business days of shipment. If we do not get it, we are paying amazon $79 per year for nothing. My wife and I love Prime and have been using it for over three years, but if this happens in our area it will be the end of that membership.

We get 99% of our Prime deliveries from UPS and the remaining 1% from Fedex. In fact our UPS guy jokes with us all the time about how much stuff he delivers. We probably get 80-100 packages per year from amazon alone. Many weeks he stops at our house two or three weekdays.

This is bad, bad news. Stay away from Long Island, A1!
And that's the problem - there is no shipping to refund when you're in the subscription. It's basically "tough luck". I'm waiting another week to see if I get a formal reply from Amazon, but if I don't, I'm issuing a chargeback for the whole subscription via my credit card. I offered Amazon the chance to give me a prorated refund of 50% since I just re-upped in April but they haven't replied.
Old 08-19-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ weird stuff i am reading about amazon, which has been imho, the gold standard for online retailers in the last couple of years. i sincerely wish yous guys luck with this shipping debacle and hope this is not an indication of a new "better" customer service direction by amazon.

and btw, i think amazon just recently posted a nice gain in profits.
Old 08-20-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My Prime trial comes to an end in a couple of days.

I placed an order today for an item that was not Prime eligible - it ships from a third-party company - but I was not charged shipping.

I assumed Prime only meant free 2-day shipping, and that non-Prime items would be subject to whatever the standard shipping rates would be.
Old 08-20-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I placed an order today for an item that was not Prime eligible - it ships from a third-party company - but I was not charged shipping.

I assumed Prime only meant free 2-day shipping for Amazon-shipped items, and that non-Prime products would be subject to whatever the standard shipping rates would be.
Old 08-20-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey

I assumed Prime only meant free 2-day shipping for Amazon-shipped items, and that non-Prime products would be subject to whatever the standard shipping rates would be.
Did the item say "fulfillment by amazon" anywhere in the description? Some sellers have amazon handle fulfillment of their orders. In those cases, you won't be charged shipping and you will get Prime delivery.

If that's not the case, I can't explain it. I have Prime and am otherwise always charged shipping when ordering through the Marketplace.
Old 08-20-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
I would say that I pay for two day delivery from the time I order the item, as long as the item is in stock and I order early enough in the day. Bottom line is, if I order soemthing from tehir website that Amazon sells, and it says in stock, and I order it at 9 in the morning, it should go out that day, and get to me two days later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.