Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Old 07-29-09, 06:30 AM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Deepdiscount's broken abacus

I was about to place an order on Deepdiscount's website this evening but, after apllying the DVDTalk code, I noticed that the discount applied was not the advertised (and generous) 25%, but only 22.9%.

Unless one is placing an extremely large order, such as one might if stocking the inventory of a video-rental store, it's not a huge difference. Still, in the aggregate, this little mistake can, and will, result in hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, of dollars of undeserved income for Deepdiscount.com.

Is it an honest mistake? Probably, but if 25%-off is promised, it's the website's duty to deliver that discount, and not one with more than 2% shaved off. If nothing else, one would think that Deepdiscount might like to keep the Federal Trade Commission from examining their trade practices.

I intend to call them in the morning, both to complain and have a sales representative add up my order him/herself, applying the proper discount. I suggest that all interested parties do likewise.
originalthinkr is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 06:54 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 469
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Were there any preorder items included in your order?
foggy is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 07:21 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 731
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Thanks for a laugh this early in the morning.
beesonosu is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 07:23 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

All 6 of my Blu-rays I ordered in two separate orders came to the same 25% off prices that I calculated prior to ordering.

Either you ordered something not released yet, or an item that is not included in the sale, or you are in Canada and had to pay for shipping or something.
Snowmaker is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 07:41 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 744
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Wrong thread for complains..
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...surprises.html

Originally Posted by originalthinkr View Post
I was about to place an order on Deepdiscount's website this evening but, after apllying the DVDTalk code, I noticed that the discount applied was not the advertised (and generous) 25%, but only 22.9%.

Unless one is placing an extremely large order, such as one might if stocking the inventory of a video-rental store, it's not a huge difference. Still, in the aggregate, this little mistake can, and will, result in hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, of dollars of undeserved income for Deepdiscount.com.

Is it an honest mistake? Probably, but if 25%-off is promised, it's the website's duty to deliver that discount, and not one with more than 2% shaved off. If nothing else, one would think that Deepdiscount might like to keep the Federal Trade Commission from examining their trade practices.

I intend to call them in the morning, both to complain and have a sales representative add up my order him/herself, applying the proper discount. I suggest that all interested parties do likewise.

Last edited by disneyguy; 07-29-09 at 07:43 AM.
disneyguy is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 08:12 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Originally Posted by originalthinkr View Post
I was about to place an order on Deepdiscount's website this evening but, after apllying the DVDTalk code, I noticed that the discount applied was not the advertised (and generous) 25%, but only 22.9%.

Unless one is placing an extremely large order, such as one might if stocking the inventory of a video-rental store, it's not a huge difference. Still, in the aggregate, this little mistake can, and will, result in hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, of dollars of undeserved income for Deepdiscount.com.

Is it an honest mistake? Probably, but if 25%-off is promised, it's the website's duty to deliver that discount, and not one with more than 2% shaved off. If nothing else, one would think that Deepdiscount might like to keep the Federal Trade Commission from examining their trade practices.

I intend to call them in the morning, both to complain and have a sales representative add up my order him/herself, applying the proper discount. I suggest that all interested parties do likewise.

Well, I can tell you that I checked all my orders before putting them in and the 25% discount was given to me on all of them.

Dirk

Last edited by DirkUSA; 07-29-09 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Bad Typo!
DirkUSA is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 08:38 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Well, I can tell you that I checked all my orders before putting them in and the 20% discount was given to me on all of them.

Dirk
You mean 25%.
Snowmaker is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 08:46 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
You mean 25%.
Yes! 25%................I need more coffee....................
DirkUSA is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 09:05 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Originally Posted by foggy View Post
Were there any preorder items included in your order?
Yeah, show us your order. Not everything on the site gets the discount.
starman9000 is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 02:31 PM
  #10  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Tricky math: Abacus cadabracus

Originally Posted by disneyguy View Post
Wrong thread for complain[t]s...
Well, it wasn't a complaint so much as it was a warning, but after calling Deepdiscount I understood why there was a discrepancy in the discount rates: I had a CD in my order, and that discount only applies to DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

I guess I could admit some responsibility in jumping the gun and posting my dissatisfaction here, but Deepdiscount's ad and order page don't indicate that CD's and other merchandise aren't discounted under the offer.

So, I won't. But Deepdiscount's 25%-off promotion is entirely fair and honorable. Order with confidence (but save your CD orders till next time).
originalthinkr is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 02:58 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

There we go. Glad you figured out what happened.
DirkUSA is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 03:10 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Re: Tricky math: Abacus cadabracus

Originally Posted by originalthinkr View Post
but Deepdiscount's ad and order page don't indicate that CD's and other merchandise aren't discounted under the offer.
This banner is right across the top of their home page when you go to their site:

Snowmaker is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 03:24 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,098
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Were CDs ever included?

I agree that I wish the checkout page didn't just group the discount at the bottom, but instead showed the price of each item. But still it's you're fault, even if you don't want to admit it.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 04:02 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,486
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

There are a lot of great Mega-Sale prices on cds. I've actually spent more on cds than dvds this sale.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 04:06 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Phibes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 569
Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Don't quote me, but my swiss cheese of a memory seems to recall that everything (barring preorders) was included in the beginning years of the big sale. Like I said, my memory tells me that so it's entirely possible that it's exactly wrong .

Edit: actually, I should say the years that DDD started carrying CDs, etc and had the sale. See, swiss cheese....

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Were CDs ever included?

I agree that I wish the checkout page didn't just group the discount at the bottom, but instead showed the price of each item. But still it's you're fault, even if you don't want to admit it.
Phibes is offline  
Old 07-29-09, 08:49 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,672
Re: Tricky math: Abacus cadabracus

Originally Posted by originalthinkr View Post
Well, it wasn't a complaint so much as it was a warning, but after calling Deepdiscount I understood why there was a discrepancy in the discount rates: I had a CD in my order, and that discount only applies to DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

I guess I could admit some responsibility in jumping the gun and posting my dissatisfaction here, but Deepdiscount's ad and order page don't indicate that CD's and other merchandise aren't discounted under the offer.

So, I won't. But Deepdiscount's 25%-off promotion is entirely fair and honorable. Order with confidence (but save your CD orders till next time).
Your ridiculous to rational quotient is extremely high, and your fail is currently at 100%. Better luck in another thread.

Still chuckling over the FTC being mentioned...
Cheato is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.