Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Old 07-29-09, 06:30 AM

Deepdiscount's broken abacus

I was about to place an order on Deepdiscount's website this evening but, after apllying the DVDTalk code, I noticed that the discount applied was not the advertised (and generous) 25%, but only 22.9%.

Unless one is placing an extremely large order, such as one might if stocking the inventory of a video-rental store, it's not a huge difference. Still, in the aggregate, this little mistake can, and will, result in hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, of dollars of undeserved income for Deepdiscount.com.

Is it an honest mistake? Probably, but if 25%-off is promised, it's the website's duty to deliver that discount, and not one with more than 2% shaved off. If nothing else, one would think that Deepdiscount might like to keep the Federal Trade Commission from examining their trade practices.

I intend to call them in the morning, both to complain and have a sales representative add up my order him/herself, applying the proper discount. I suggest that all interested parties do likewise.
Old 07-29-09, 06:54 AM

Re: Deepdiscount's broken abacus

Were there any preorder items included in your order?
Old 07-29-09, 07:21 AM

Thanks for a laugh this early in the morning.
Old 07-29-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All 6 of my Blu-rays I ordered in two separate orders came to the same 25% off prices that I calculated prior to ordering.

Either you ordered something not released yet, or an item that is not included in the sale, or you are in Canada and had to pay for shipping or something.
Old 07-29-09, 07:41 AM

Wrong thread for complains..
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...surprises.html

Originally Posted by originalthinkr View Post
I was about to place an order on Deepdiscount's website this evening but, after apllying the DVDTalk code, I noticed that the discount applied was not the advertised (and generous) 25%, but only 22.9%.

Unless one is placing an extremely large order, such as one might if stocking the inventory of a video-rental store, it's not a huge difference. Still, in the aggregate, this little mistake can, and will, result in hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions, of dollars of undeserved income for Deepdiscount.com.

Is it an honest mistake? Probably, but if 25%-off is promised, it's the website's duty to deliver that discount, and not one with more than 2% shaved off. If nothing else, one would think that Deepdiscount might like to keep the Federal Trade Commission from examining their trade practices.

I intend to call them in the morning, both to complain and have a sales representative add up my order him/herself, applying the proper discount. I suggest that all interested parties do likewise.

Last edited by disneyguy; 07-29-09 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I can tell you that I checked all my orders before putting them in and the 25% discount was given to me on all of them.

Dirk

Last edited by DirkUSA; 07-29-09 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Bad Typo!
Old 07-29-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Well, I can tell you that I checked all my orders before putting them in and the 20% discount was given to me on all of them.

Dirk
You mean 25%.
Old 07-29-09, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
You mean 25%.
Yes! 25%................I need more coffee....................
Old 07-29-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foggy View Post
Were there any preorder items included in your order?
Yeah, show us your order. Not everything on the site gets the discount.
Old 07-29-09, 02:31 PM

Tricky math: Abacus cadabracus

Originally Posted by disneyguy View Post
Wrong thread for complain[t]s...
Well, it wasn't a complaint so much as it was a warning, but after calling Deepdiscount I understood why there was a discrepancy in the discount rates: I had a CD in my order, and that discount only applies to DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

I guess I could admit some responsibility in jumping the gun and posting my dissatisfaction here, but Deepdiscount's ad and order page don't indicate that CD's and other merchandise aren't discounted under the offer.

So, I won't. But Deepdiscount's 25%-off promotion is entirely fair and honorable. Order with confidence (but save your CD orders till next time).
Old 07-29-09, 02:58 PM

There we go. Glad you figured out what happened.
Old 07-29-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Tricky math: Abacus cadabracus

but Deepdiscount's ad and order page don't indicate that CD's and other merchandise aren't discounted under the offer.
This banner is right across the top of their home page when you go to their site:

Old 07-29-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Were CDs ever included?

I agree that I wish the checkout page didn't just group the discount at the bottom, but instead showed the price of each item. But still it's you're fault, even if you don't want to admit it.
Old 07-29-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a lot of great Mega-Sale prices on cds. I've actually spent more on cds than dvds this sale.
Old 07-29-09, 04:06 PM

Don't quote me, but my swiss cheese of a memory seems to recall that everything (barring preorders) was included in the beginning years of the big sale. Like I said, my memory tells me that so it's entirely possible that it's exactly wrong .

Edit: actually, I should say the years that DDD started carrying CDs, etc and had the sale. See, swiss cheese....

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Were CDs ever included?

I agree that I wish the checkout page didn't just group the discount at the bottom, but instead showed the price of each item. But still it's you're fault, even if you don't want to admit it.
Old 07-29-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Tricky math: Abacus cadabracus

Well, it wasn't a complaint so much as it was a warning, but after calling Deepdiscount I understood why there was a discrepancy in the discount rates: I had a CD in my order, and that discount only applies to DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

I guess I could admit some responsibility in jumping the gun and posting my dissatisfaction here, but Deepdiscount's ad and order page don't indicate that CD's and other merchandise aren't discounted under the offer.

So, I won't. But Deepdiscount's 25%-off promotion is entirely fair and honorable. Order with confidence (but save your CD orders till next time).
Your ridiculous to rational quotient is extremely high, and your fail is currently at 100%. Better luck in another thread.

Still chuckling over the FTC being mentioned...