Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDPlanet Store Credit

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDPlanet Store Credit

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDPlanet Store Credit

I just learned about store credit for DVDPlanet and I was hoping to trade in some DVDs so I can use some of the credit for the 25% off DVD sale they have right now. How much credit do they usually give out? I know it's a broad question but what are their rates of giving away credit?
Old 07-16-09, 11:35 PM

Re: DVDPlanet Store Credit

Their rates are probably the best around, but still nowhere near as good as they used to be. There is, however, a very slim chance that you'd get your credit before the sale is over. I'm speaking from experience. Send your stuff in though. Just know that there are no guarantees.
Old 07-17-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They used to give much better credit, but they're still fine. There are tons of stuff that they'll give you more for than you would get on Amazon Marketplace or eBay.

When I send stuff to them, I almost always have my credit added to my account within 7 business days from the day I ship the package. I shipped some stuff off today and I fully expect to have the credit added before the end of the sale. A lot of that likely has to do with where you ship it from, although I don't know that for sure.

Just go to this link and go crazy:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/qm.cfm
Old 07-17-09, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L
They used to give much better credit, but they're still fine. There are tons of stuff that they'll give you more for than you would get on Amazon Marketplace or eBay.

When I send stuff to them, I almost always have my credit added to my account within 7 business days from the day I ship the package. I shipped some stuff off today and I fully expect to have the credit added before the end of the sale. A lot of that likely has to do with where you ship it from, although I don't know that for sure.

Just go to this link and go crazy:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/qm.cfm
So if I put in a title...are those prices usually accurate? I also heard Amazon has this trade-in thing. I can't believe I never heard of these things before.
Old 07-17-09, 09:44 AM

DVDPlanet Store Credit

I just learned about store credit for DVDPlanet and I was hoping to trade in some DVDs so I can use some of the credit for the 25% off DVD sale they have right now. I know you can use this for an idea of how much credit one will receive: http://www.dvdplanet.com/qm.cfm

And I also heard Amazon does this whole trade-in thingy too. Which site offers the best store credit?
Old 07-17-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just remember to search for things in the quote search, not the main site search. If you can't find something, experiment with how you search. I don't think you can include words like "the", and that sort of thing. Sometime if a title has a number in it, try it both ways - 1 and one. If you can tell what you find is your item, even if they have another UPC code listed, send it anyway, that doesn't matter most of the time as long as it's the same item.

I fully admit that some people report credit taking weeks and weeks, but like I said, that has never been the case for me and others, and that may be because of where you ship from.

I've looked at Amazon's credit, and it almost never comes close to DVDPlanet.
Old 07-17-09, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by moviewizguy
I just learned about store credit for DVDPlanet and I was hoping to trade in some DVDs so I can use some of the credit for the 25% off DVD sale they have right now. I know you can use this for an idea of how much credit one will receive: http://www.dvdplanet.com/qm.cfm

And I also heard Amazon does this whole trade-in thingy too. Which site offers the best store credit?
Three comments here, that hopefully will help you:

1. Best credit offer varies from title to title. You will need to compare both sites for each individual title to see who is offering the most.

2. You pay the shipping cost to send your items to DVDPlanet. Amazon pays the shipping cost for the stuff they take from you, so this could make the Amazon deal worth a few bucks more (the cost of media mail shipping).

3. Turn-around time for credit to show up at DVDPlanet is *usually* on the order of around 10 -15 days, give or take a few. They are probably pretty busy with the sale right now, too. So... there is no guarantee your credit will show up before the current sale ends. But if you are going to try, you should mail your stuff to them ASAP (like, today really, if possible)
Old 07-17-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just in case you are interested I am offering credit at dvdplanet for traders that have several dvds to trade at once and want to be able to use it before sale ends...Here is what I wroe in trade forum..

I am willing to trade it for your dvds,cds,blu rays,video games,pc games,PSP and other possible items.

Advantages:
I will trade for all your stuff at once. Most sites will take "some" of your trade items but not all.
I will accept scratches or other imperfections-just disclose it.
You will get your credit in time for Big 25% off sale.

How it works
Submit your list of titles and what you are hoping to get for them. I will get back to you with an acceptance or what I will pay.
(you can check second spin, newtown,dvd planet,wherehouse,spun for idea of what others will give you for comparison). Please be reasonable on "common titles"-that dvd of Swordfish you have is not worth $5.
I really enjoy more obscure titles and other region stuff that I cannot get myself with the credit I have.

I have done this trade program for years with dozens of Dvdtalkers and it is a lot of fun.
Old 07-17-09, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by moonraker
Three comments here, that hopefully will help you:

1. Best credit offer varies from title to title. You will need to compare both sites for each individual title to see who is offering the most.

2. You pay the shipping cost to send your items to DVDPlanet. Amazon pays the shipping cost for the stuff they take from you, so this could make the Amazon deal worth a few bucks more (the cost of media mail shipping).

3. Turn-around time for credit to show up at DVDPlanet is *usually* on the order of around 10 -15 days, give or take a few. They are probably pretty busy with the sale right now, too. So... there is no guarantee your credit will show up before the current sale ends. But if you are going to try, you should mail your stuff to them ASAP (like, today really, if possible)
Well, comparing the prices right now, DVDPlanet seems to be the best place. How much is the shipping cost? Does it depend on how many DVDs I would trade in?
Old 07-17-09, 10:40 AM

Well, comparing the prices right now, DVDPlanet seems to be the best place. How much is the shipping cost? Does it depend on how many DVDs I would trade in?
Shipping depends on how much you're sending them. It's like anytime you ship something. Depends on the box, weight and where it's going.

I sent a 44lb box to them on Monday through FedEX and it was $29.
Old 07-17-09, 10:41 AM

It depends on the weight of your package -- the post office will weigh it and tell you the cost. I always go with media mail, because its the cheapest option -- however its also the slowest, so keep this in mind. Usually with media mail, I can ship a box containing between 8 - 12 dvds for around $3 or less. Also, I always pay an extra 70 cents to get delivery confirmation -- this lets you track the package over the internet and you will know precisely when it was delivered. Well worth the 70 cents for the piece of mind, IMO. Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy wondering when/if the package got there.
Old 07-17-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Carcaridon
Shipping depends on how much you're sending them. It's like anytime you ship something. Depends on the box, weight and where it's going.

I sent a 44lb box to them on Monday through FedEX and it was $29.
As far as I know, FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes...
Old 07-17-09, 10:43 AM

It depends on the weight of your package -- the post office will weigh it and tell you the cost. I always go with media mail, because its the cheapest option -- however its also the slowest, so keep this in mind. Usually with media mail, I can ship a box containing between 8 - 12 dvds for around $3 or less. Also, I always pay an extra 70 cents to get delivery confirmation -- this lets you track the package over the internet and you will know precisely when it was delivered. Well worth the 70 cents for the piece of mind, IMO. Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy wondering when/if the package got there.
I prefer purchasing postage via PayPal and paying 18 cents for delivery confirmation.
Old 07-17-09, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by awil1026
I prefer purchasing postage via PayPal and paying 18 cents for delivery confirmation.
After a very, very bad PayPal experience a few years ago, I canceled my account and vowed never to use them again under any circumstances. I will gladly pay the US post office an extra 52 cents than use that alternative.

BTW, love your avatar! I had such a huge crush on her when Angel was airing.
Old 07-17-09, 10:57 AM

After a very, very bad PayPal experience a few years ago, I canceled my account and vowed never to use them again under any circumstances. I will gladly pay the US post office an extra 52 cents than use that alternative.

BTW, love your avatar! I had such a huge crush on her when Angel was airing.
Fair enough.

I decided to make her my avatar after re-visiting Angel about a month ago. Periodically, I like to pluck out a few Buffy episodes to re-visit, and I decided to do the same for Angel this time.
Old 07-17-09, 11:02 AM

Wow. That's kinda cheap.
Old 07-17-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I mailed out about 15-20 discs, about 10-12 days ago. Cost was something like $4 and change via media mail.
Media mail is slow- it's the last mail to get packed on the truck, so it can get bumped and delayed when traffic is heavy.
My package already got there and credit was waiting for me yesterday. Fastest turnaround I've had so far.
Old 07-17-09, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by awil1026
As far as I know, FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes...
That's why I send to their actual address and not the PO Box.
Old 07-17-09, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I mailed out about 15-20 discs, about 10-12 days ago. Cost was something like $4 and change via media mail.
Media mail is slow- it's the last mail to get packed on the truck, so it can get bumped and delayed when traffic is heavy.
My package already got there and credit was waiting for me yesterday. Fastest turnaround I've had so far.
That's even better. I thought shipping rates would be $20 or something. I don't know why.
Old 07-17-09, 12:19 PM

I mailed out a package of about twenty DVDs on Monday via Priority and I received my credit today. That's the fastest turnaround I've ever experienced.

Just a note of caution for sending via Media Mail: I once mailed a box of DVDs to DVD Planet via Media Mail - the box I shipped it in was returned to me a week later, with a note from the USPS saying that my package was damaged going through one of their sorting machines, that the box was all they were able to recover, even though there was no sign of damage on the box itself...

While Media Mail is cheaper, and I've sent countless packages via Media without any problems, it's a lot slower, which means there's a greater risk of something "happening" to it. It's my personal policy now never to send anything via Media Mail if there's any indication on the box as to its contents.
Old 07-17-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

the thing you need to keep in mind about media mail- if you use it- is that it costs more, on average, to send out a small order than it does a large one. - it's much less of a hit to send out 15-20 discs out in one package than it would be to send three smaller packages.

When you start shipping Priority, that's when every extra little ounce makes a big impact on the postage.
Old 07-17-09, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
the thing you need to keep in mind about media mail- if you use it- is that it costs more, on average, to send out a small order than it does a large one. - it's much less of a hit to send out 15-20 discs out in one package than it would be to send three smaller packages.

When you start shipping Priority, that's when every extra little ounce makes a big impact on the postage.
What do you mean much less of a hit to send 20 discs in one box than send them in 3 smaller packages?

Last edited by moviewizguy; 07-17-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 04:34 PM

What do you mean much less of a hit to send 20 discs in one box than send them in 3 smaller packages?
Seems pretty simple to me.

The variable costs encountered when using media mail are pretty tame. With priority mail, incremental ounces add on a lot to the cost.

Last edited by Arthur Dent; 07-17-09 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 07:11 PM

Sorry to ask even more questions but I'm afraid I have another question: Do DVDPlanet accept Blockbuster DVD cases?
Old 07-18-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So if I put in a title...are those prices usually accurate? I also heard Amazon has this trade-in thing. I can't believe I never heard of these things before.
amazon just started doing a trade-in program for both games and dvds. it is very small and doesnt compare to any of the usual suspects. at least yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.