Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target doesn't price match their own website?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. So The Decemberists new cd came out today. I have a Target gift card so I checked their website and they have is listed for $9.99. There is nothing that says Online Only, Online Sale, or anything similar. I didn't want to pay for shipping and I wanted it today so I drove over to the nearest Target store (out of the way) and they had it for $13.99. I went up to customer service to get it adjusted and they tell me they won't price match. In my opinion, that isn't a price match - it's honoring the listed price of your company. I know $4 sounds petty, but it's the principle of the situation that's important. Who's to say they aren't purposefully listing items lower on their website so people will come to store, see it's priced just a bit higher, and pay the extra cost that they normally wouldn't have (since they're already there). This is fraudulent business practice in my eyes.

*Rant off.
Old 03-24-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Target doesn't price match their own website?

They aren't the first company to not honor an online price. Bestbuy was notorious for having seperate pricing online versus in store, even having a second website that store employees could pull up to try and trick customers. Sam Goody, back in the day, used their B&M stores to market the shit out of their "new" website, then refused to honor pricing from it in their retail locations. I saw numerous times when Tower was in business that their online prices and store prices were not the same. Same thing with FYE. Its unfortunate, but what can you do? If the website lets you, do an instore pickup, so you get the low price, plus the almost instant gratification.
Old 03-25-09, 06:52 AM

Yeah, I've seen it at Bestbuy too, but the difference is that they have always adjusted the price for me. I don't know about a fake website. Luckily I haven't had them try that on me yet.

My biggest problem with this situation was that neither the store manager nor the woman I spoke to at the 1-800 number could give me a logical explanation as to why the prices were different and why they absolutely could not adjust the price for my purchase. "Just because" is not a good enough reason when it comes to honoring your lowest listed price in my opinion.
Old 03-25-09, 07:32 AM

For years the Target website was just a front for Amazon. Although they have taken ownership of the website they are still a disparate entity--you can't order to store, inventory checks are hit-or-miss, and inventories are very different. I'm not at all surprised that they don't price match their own website since the two share little more than a name.
Old 03-25-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Different Target's have different prices as well, same thing with Walmart.
Old 03-25-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Different Target's have different prices as well, same thing with Walmart.
Old 03-25-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to mention Target doesn't price match in general. When i worked there awhile back, there actually still was the option in their system when you try and do a price adjustment, but i'm not sure if that's changed now.
Old 03-25-09, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by jewellrunner
Wow. So The Decemberists new cd came out today. I have a Target gift card so I checked their website and they have is listed for $9.99. There is nothing that says Online Only, Online Sale, or anything similar. I didn't want to pay for shipping and I wanted it today so I drove over to the nearest Target store (out of the way) and they had it for $13.99. I went up to customer service to get it adjusted and they tell me they won't price match. In my opinion, that isn't a price match - it's honoring the listed price of your company. I know $4 sounds petty, but it's the principle of the situation that's important. Who's to say they aren't purposefully listing items lower on their website so people will come to store, see it's priced just a bit higher, and pay the extra cost that they normally wouldn't have (since they're already there). This is fraudulent business practice in my eyes.

*Rant off.
Don't see where there is fraud, you can have it from the website, there is no
where it says they are in store prices..these are two different places..
$4 is petty on your part..if you want it buy or move on to someone else..
DG

Last edited by disneyguy; 03-25-09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by disneyguy
Don't see where there is fraud, you can have it from the website, there is no
where it says they are in store prices..these are two different places..
$4 is petty on your part..if you want it buy or move on to someone else..
DG
Nope, not two different places when it's the same company, especially when they could potentially be pulling people into their stores for good prices based on what's on their website.

I already said it was a petty amount. You must have missed the part about principle.
Old 03-25-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So why not order it from the website in the first place? You end up paying shipping PLUS sales tax. There is the added convenience of not having to drive out to the store. Of course, you do lose the instant gratification (gotta-have-it-now) and would have to wait.

What's it worth to you?

EDIT: And from their website, there is this piece of info . . .

Some Items Don't Have A 'Find It At A Target Store' Button

Due to inventory tracking limitations, the 'Find it at a Target Store' button is not available on items that require a size or color choice (e.g. clothing, bedding), or on items offered by Target's partners (e.g. books, music, DVD's, custom mini-blinds, flowers, etc.).

Last edited by Xbox69; 03-25-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 07:00 PM

To answer your first question, I didn't want to pay shipping for something I was physically holding in my hand. It seemed silly.

As far as what you found on their site, thanks for locating that. I don't know why neither of the Target employees could have directed me to it. You're a better Target representative than either of them.
Old 02-26-11, 04:12 PM

The only other store I know that don't price match their own website is Borders. I have never try Barnes And Noble, FYE, Macy's, Michael's, Sears, JcPennys, Lowes and Home Depots. So don't know would they price match their own site.

Two Best Buys in the San Franciciso Bay Area that I go to, price match their own site when you tell them about it, at:

Geary Blvd CA
2675 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA, 94118

Colma CA
200 Colma Blvd, Colma, CA, 94014

Since Target don't price match their own website, then they should not have this on their site at all. Weekly Ad under which ever section, because that would get people to click on to see. And also say As Seen In Our Weekly Ad, when he or she clicks on the product.
If on the sunday paper ad say Titles shown and selected others. That is the case on the DVD and Blu-Ray part. The Weekly Ad part in the movie section on the website, is where people go to check what are the other ones that are also part of the sale, plus people will automatically click to check which store has it in stock. When they can, before just going out to the closes store.

Let say for example A-Team (Includes Digital Copy)(Blu-ray/DVD)- Target Exclusive, Max Payne(Widescreen)(Dual-layered DVD), Eloise in Springtime, Resident Evil: Afterlife(Blu-ray) and Erin Brockovich (Widescreen)(Dual-layered DVD) are part of the Weekly Ad sale, but it is not on the sunday paper ad. You have to go to the website to see by clicking on Weekly Ad in the movie section, since on the paper it said Titles shown and selected others. Now if the store DOES NOT have the sale price posted by anyone of the the stuff, would they hornor their web price on that. IF NOT then they should NOT even have the Weekly Ad part in any of the sections at all, for people to click on .
Old 02-26-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by syndicate
The only other store I know that don't price match their own website is Borders. I have never tried Barnes & Noble....
For certain, B&N doesn't PM online store either: B&N Thread
Old 02-26-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Also Walmart's offical policy is NOT to match the website (http://walmartstores.com/7659.aspx). I know that some people have had luck getting them to do that, but officially, they're not supposed to.