Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Old 02-16-11, 12:21 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,702
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

I picked up a couple of books tonight because I had a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble and hadn't been in the store in a long time. The two books were $16.00 and $5.95. There was no discount, I was charged full retail.

When I got home I looked at their online prices, they are $9.87 and $3.27. They even have free shipping on orders over $25, but even I were to pick up these two books by themselves the shipping would be $4.98.

Summary:

In-store price = $21.95
Online price: $13.14 + $4.98 shipping (or free shipping if I order at least $25 worth of books)

Both prices are before tax.

Anyway, will the store match their online price? If I return the books (they are in new condition) will I get instore credit that can be used online? Do I have an arguement if I went back tomorrow and asked for the price difference in the form of instore credit?
Old 02-16-11, 05:20 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,196
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Not that I've seen...
Old 02-16-11, 07:24 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 524
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Nope. I've asked and the online is completely seperate in terms of pricing from the B&M.
Old 02-16-11, 01:53 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,623
Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Originally Posted by Heat
I picked up a couple of books tonight because I had a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble and hadn't been in the store in a long time. The two books were $16.00 and $5.95. There was no discount, I was charged full retail.

When I got home I looked at their online prices, they are $9.87 and $3.27. They even have free shipping on orders over $25, but even I were to pick up these two books by themselves the shipping would be $4.98.

Summary:

In-store price = $21.95
Online price: $13.14 + $4.98 shipping (or free shipping if I order at least $25 worth of books)

Both prices are before tax.

Anyway, will the store match their online price? If I return the books (they are in new condition) will I get instore credit that can be used online? Do I have an arguement if I went back tomorrow and asked for the price difference in the form of instore credit?
No they don't match online. They will give you store credit (or ask for a gift card) for what you paid. Don't bother arguing just take the store credit/gc and buy whatever books you want online.

The only time I've seen prices same as online is when they have certain DVD sales (Criterion, A&E etc.).
Old 02-16-11, 02:46 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,145
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

They do not match their online prices. Return and reorder.

You should be able to get a full refund in the method you paid as long as the items are returned within 14 days, with receipt, and in unread condition.
Old 02-16-11, 05:05 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 652
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
They do not match their online prices. Return and reorder.

You should be able to get a full refund in the method you paid as long as the items are returned within 14 days, with receipt, and in unread condition.
How do you prove this?
Old 02-16-11, 06:43 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,145
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Originally Posted by Robertwoj
How do you prove this?
They can tell. Heck, I can tell.
Old 02-16-11, 10:44 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,702
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Thanks for the advice. I returned the two books today and was given a gift card for the full amount. Tonight I ordered the two books, along with a few more since I had another gift card that I wanted to use up, online at www.bn.com .

My total order was $38 online vs. about $57 if I had purchased the same books in-store.

Part of me thinks that there is no way they can keep charging full MSRP and stay in business, but everytime I drive by there are always a bunch of cars in the parking lot. There is something to be said for being able to browse the books before purchase, holding them, flipping through them, etc.
Old 02-22-11, 07:46 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,658
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

You may want to visit the B&N coupon thread. The first post is updated with coupons all the time, sometimes valid in-store, and most of the time valid online. We recently had a coupon for 50% off any item (which I used 22 times), but usually the discounts are 10-15%, occasionally 20% off. Right now there's only a few, because a bunch of coupons expires yesterday, but more will be coming.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-part-2-a.html
Old 02-22-13, 11:06 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Does anyone know if I use the "Pick up at store" option on a item I know a local B&M has in stock, will I get it for the online price vs the store price?
Old 02-23-13, 11:21 AM
  #11  
Political Exile
 
Philzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: America
Posts: 957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Will Barnes and Noble (brick and mortar) match their online prices?

Originally Posted by burnside986
Does anyone know if I use the "Pick up at store" option on a item I know a local B&M has in stock, will I get it for the online price vs the store price?
store price

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.