Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Half.com--New buyer claims item damaged but...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Half.com--New buyer claims item damaged but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Half.com--New buyer claims item damaged but...

Originally Posted by uteotw
I'll just have to chalk it up to part of doing business. Still sucks though...
Sorry to hear that uteotw! I think you've got the right attitude. It sucks, but it's part of the cost of doing business.

I've been selling on Half.com and Amazon for several years, and although the vast majority of my sales have gone smoothly, I've had a few similar situations occur. Ironically, I'm in the middle of one of those situations right now. Like you said, even though I may have suspected shenanigans, I'll never know for sure, so I just factor it in as part of the cost of doing business.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-01-09, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Fallout 3 froze A LOT before I installed it to the HDD when that became available. (And you can stop a slightly scratched disk from freezing by installing the game too). I would imagine he just didn't like the game. Test it out when you get it back.
Old 02-01-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

thanks guys~hopefully it at least still works so I can play it. Live and learn I guess.
Old 02-05-09, 07:07 PM

I have sold a ton on Half over the last ten years and it sounds like the guy is a scammer. I tell these types to "send item back to me, I will verify receipt for Half.Com and then they need to get refund from Half". I tell them that "I NEVER refund because Half.com wants to keep track of who is asking for refunds". This has worked dozens of times. And then I rarely get negative feedback as I think they know I am on to them
Old 02-06-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you insure it? Ebay limits on shipping fees has made the seller eat the cost, but I always think it is worth the $1.70, especially for an item that's $40.00.
Old 02-09-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stop being ridiculous. This doesn't sound anything like someone trying to pull a fast one. Get the disc back, refund the money and chalk it up to experience.
Old 02-09-09, 12:20 PM

One final question: I already got the $$ from half, less their cut, and now I'm supposed to refund the whole amount so I'm actually LOSING $$ on the deal? Is that how it works?? Am I also expected to refund the shipping? I'm inclined to refund his purchase price minus shipping, since I'm out for paying to ship it and he's paying to ship it back. Seem reasonable?
Old 02-09-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One final question: I already got the $$ from half, less their cut, and now I'm supposed to refund the whole amount so I'm actually LOSING $$ on the deal? Is that how it works??
If you issue a full refund, Half will refund to you the commission they took out of the original sale.
Old 02-10-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a brand new sealed copy of Soul Calibur IV from amazon during the holidays and the case arrived crushed and the disc was loose. It is always possible that it may have been smashed during shipping.

Last edited by Krayzie; 02-10-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 07:40 PM

Well, I finally received the game back, and it sure has had the !@)$* scratched out of it. I'm actually more ticked about getting a totally messed up game back than I am about the refund, but I guess I'll just have to try get back into the game since there's no way I can sell it now. I'm just issuing the full refund (shipping included) and chalking it up a loss. Oh well...
Thanks again--
Old 02-17-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Couple of things. Are buyers with 1 feedback legit? Sure. Is it possible to have perfect feedback for 10 years? Sure. Do things get damaged in shipping? Sure.

What is the likelihood of all three things being out of whack for this one transaction? Nil. I think you got screwed. Either he played it and didn't like it (scratched it himself to return it) or it's something along the lines of what Perkinsun Dzees said:

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Even if the guy does offer to send the game back, I'd still be a little suspicious. It's possible that he bought a damaged copy from some store's used bargain bin for ultra cheap (or somebody gave it to him) and then he purchased your copy off Half.com so that he can send back the damaged copy to you for a refund.
Old 02-19-09, 04:00 PM

Well, I finally received the game back, and it sure has had the !@)$* scratched out of it. I'm actually more ticked about getting a totally messed up game back than I am about the refund, but I guess I'll just have to try get back into the game since there's no way I can sell it now. I'm just issuing the full refund (shipping included) and chalking it up a loss. Oh well...
Thanks again--
Go buy a new copy of the game and return it because that new copy will be all scratched up. Game must have come off the hub while being shipped to the store. After that your copy will remarkably have all the scratches removed!

I sell all my games on eBay when I am done and I always add a piece of bubble wrap (or cut a piece of old bubble mailer) inside the case to prevent the disc from popping off the hub and moving around during shipping.

Jamie