Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best UK DVD sites to take advantage of $ exchange rate?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The USD is the strongest it's been in relation to GBP since the mid 80's.

What are the best UK sites for region-free US DVD shoppers to take advantage of this fact? Amazon UK is obvious, of course, but what are lesser-known, reliable places, similar perhaps to DVD Planet, DVD Empire, DD, etc.?

Would have fun doing some comparison shopping for MoC titles and the like. Or am I best off just sticking with Amazon UK? Thanks.
Old 01-24-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best UK DVD sites to take advantage of $ exchange rate?

I've shopped around, and always go back to Amazon. For one thing, their posted prices include VAT which will be removed for items shipping to the U.S. (I really haven't found any other price-competitive sites that do that.)

Their shipping charges are manageable, and the charge by item not by number of discs. I paid the same shipping cost for my 21-disc Laurel & Hardy set as for a single-disc title.

Good customer service. For example, last November I bought the L&H set, a pricey purchase at GBP79. The week after I received it, there was a substantial price drop (GBP20). I contacted them by email, and had a response within 18 hours, and a refund of the difference within 72 hours. It doesn't get better than that.

P.S. If you want to do some UK price comparisions, check out http://www.pricedevil.co.uk/
Old 01-27-09, 12:45 PM

Amazon.UK also does a much better job packing their shipments that most US website, Amazon included. I get damaged/loose stuff from Amazon all the time and have gotten 6 perfect shipments from AMazon.UK in a row.
Old 01-27-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
I've shopped around, and always go back to Amazon. For one thing, their posted prices include VAT which will be removed for items shipping to the U.S. (I really haven't found any other price-competitive sites that do that.)

Their shipping charges are manageable, and the charge by item not by number of discs. I paid the same shipping cost for my 21-disc Laurel & Hardy set as for a single-disc title.

Good customer service. For example, last November I bought the L&H set, a pricey purchase at GBP79. The week after I received it, there was a substantial price drop (GBP20). I contacted them by email, and had a response within 18 hours, and a refund of the difference within 72 hours. It doesn't get better than that.

P.S. If you want to do some UK price comparisions, check out http://www.pricedevil.co.uk/
I've been wanting that L&H set forever. I checked amazon.co.uk and it doesn't seem to be available directly from amazon, you have to use a 3rd party seller. Were you able to buy it directly from Amazon in November?
Old 01-27-09, 10:56 PM

Thank you for the Price Devil link. Anyone ever use sendit.com or their sister site thehut.com? I found a couple of good prices on MoC titles there and decided to test the waters -- keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 01-28-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've ordered from sendit.com several times and had no problems. My latest order took a bit longer to ship out but I didn't mind since the price was quite a bit cheaper than Amazon UK.
Old 01-28-09, 05:10 PM

I just placed my first order to sendit last week (22nd). They had a one-day, 10%-off sale. I got an email today saying that they had sent one of the DVDs. They're still waiting on the other.

They had a 2-disc set of the 2007-2008 A1 GP racing series for ₤7.69. That's ridiculously lower than several other sites. I'll be keeping an eye on their site for more sales.
Old 01-29-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I've been wanting that L&H set forever. I checked amazon.co.uk and it doesn't seem to be available directly from amazon, you have to use a 3rd party seller. Were you able to buy it directly from Amazon in November?
Yes, it was available directly from Amazon in November. I had been watching this set for about two years, and both the price and availability would change frequently. Keep checking back, and it will probably be available from them again - hopefully at a decent price and while the exchange rate still favors us stateside buyers.
Old 01-29-09, 10:41 AM

Yes, it was available directly from Amazon in November. I had been watching this set for about two years, and both the price and availability would change frequently. Keep checking back, and it will probably be available from them again - hopefully at a decent price and while the exchange rate still favors us stateside buyers.
Thanks, but I got anxious and went ahead and bought it used from a 3rd party overseas seller. I still can't believe I did that, but we'll see what happens. There were only 2 that would ship internationally, and the next time I went back to look at the site, one of them was gone. This is typical of my luck, so I assumed some cataclysmic event was going to happen in the next couple of days where the exchange rate pendulum swung back the other way and it would be 4USD to 1GBP. I'm not sure how Citibank will handle the conversion rate, but at the time I bought it, it was $83 shipped, or about $4 a disc, which is about one-fourth the price I almost bought the set for 2 years ago. Of course, my luck being what it is, it will undoubtedly be released in R1 in the next few weeks. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it, my old SLP VHS tapes are still good, but I've heard good things about this set.

Now I'm thinking about getting the Russ Meyer set. It's available directly from Amazon.co.uk. I have only seen a couple of those films and I really shouldn't be spending any more money on DVDs, so I've managed to hold off for now.
Old 01-29-09, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Now I'm thinking about getting the Russ Meyer set. It's available directly from Amazon.co.uk. I have only seen a couple of those films and I really shouldn't be spending any more money on DVDs, so I've managed to hold off for now.
I can't recommend this set enough. Be careful about price fluctuations, though. It tends to counce around alot. I got my for 55 pounds, or so. I've seen it under 50, although not for a while, and as high as 65 recently.
Old 01-29-09, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SPRBD
I can't recommend this set enough. Be careful about price fluctuations, though. It tends to counce around alot. I got my for 55 pounds, or so. I've seen it under 50, although not for a while, and as high as 65 recently.
Actually, it was your post in the DVD Talk forum that informed me this set even existed. I'll probably hold off a while longer, but I think there'll be boobs in my future.
Old 02-05-09, 12:17 PM

Have you any experience ordering stuff from amazon.co.uk that is fulfilled by Amazon's "preferred provider," Indigostarfish.com? It seems that they price things comparably to items fulfilled by amazon.co.uk directly, but they don't have VAT included so nothing is deducted at checkout!