Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about Black Friday Price Matching Policies

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched and didn't find this anywhere. I have a couple of questions:

1- What retail stores have a price match policy?
2- Does that policy change for Black Friday?
Old 11-23-08, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you look at the best buy ad, i believe its either the last page or first it pretty much says that they do not price match on black friday ...

my sister works at wal mart in seattle and she says that they do price match ...

it might vary
Old 11-23-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It can also vary by the type of deal. TYpically, stores that usually pricematch (BB, CC) will not price match the 6:00 AM-12:00 PM "Doorbuster Specials", but might match the specials that last all day. Even here, YMMV.
Old 11-23-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people do the return, buy back stunt. I've never gone through the trouble.
Old 11-23-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 356 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by lovgun7
if you look at the best buy ad, i believe its either the last page or first it pretty much says that they do not price match on black friday ...

my sister works at wal mart in seattle and she says that they do price match ...

it might vary
I pricematched successfully at Walmart a few years ago. Basically I bought Target sale DVD's and avoided the crowd that way.
Old 11-24-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Saw a TV ad for Wal*Mart yesterday and they very emphatically mentioned that they will price match.
Old 11-24-08, 03:16 PM

Yeah...Wal-mart is the place to go. Last year I ordered as much as possible online late Wednesday night from BB. Then on Friday morning went in to WM a half hour before their sale, grabbed the stuff I was going to price match and then proceeded to sneak the seasons of Sopranos that I wanted from underneath the shrinkwrap. At 5am I just strolled up to the register with my cart and put everything in order of the store whose ad I was using...Wal-Mart first and then the BB section, Target section, and finally the CC section. I was home by 6am to order the 4 Bond sets from CC and a DVD case from Staples. By 6:30 I was done shopping and got everything I wanted without having to wait in any lines. Actually the only wait I had on anything was waiting for a WM guy to open up the game case for me and then waiting for the WM guys to look in another direction as I was grabbing Sopranos.
Old 11-28-08, 11:52 PM

i went to circuit city this year and i asked 3 different people if they were price matching ... one told my she didnt know ... another told me just flat out no.... and the last gave me a small explination ...

he said no because since its only 6 hours deals if they were to call target, walmart or best buy to see if they had stock on something i was trying to price much the other stores responce would be "no we are out fo stock" ..."

to me that was a BS answer ... every store that i have ever price matched at they have never once called another store to see if stock was available ...
Old 11-29-08, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lovgun7
to me that was a BS answer ... every store that i have ever price matched at they have never once called another store to see if stock was available ...
It's part of most stores PM policy to call. Just because they didn't before doesn't matter. Are you saying you didn't know that is part of standard PM policy? NO??? I could interpret that as a BS answer.
Old 11-29-08, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jpb07
Then on Friday morning went in to WM a half hour before their sale, grabbed the stuff I was going to price match and then proceeded to sneak the seasons of Sopranos that I wanted from underneath the shrinkwrap.
This I don't understand. Even the 24-hr. SUPERCENTER WM here closed for part of Thanksgiving Day and didn't open 'til the BF sale.
Old 11-29-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I can tell you that the Best Buy in Salem, NH refused to price match anything from the two day sales. I tried to pricematch a couple of video games and they flat out told me no.
Old 11-30-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I can tell you that the Best Buy in Salem, NH refused to price match anything from the two day sales. I tried to pricematch a couple of video games and they flat out told me no.
It's quite a bit more noticeable than their finest print but it is indeed there -- across the FRONT page. They will not pricematch during Black Friday and the next day.

The Best Buy price match policy does not apply to items in this ad or to our competitors' items for sale November 28 and 29, 2008, and is not valid on prior purchases.

I see it denoted in their sales ad in months leading up to BF as well.