Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon will no longer offer 30 day price-match guarantee

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-30-08, 01:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

from someone over at CAG:

"Only orders placed before September 1, 2008 are eligible for a price difference refund under the Post-Order Price Guarantee policy. As of September 1, 2008 we are no longer offering discounts if prices change on our website after you make a purchase."
Old 08-30-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just reading that. Don't like it. I'm going to copy and paste my own post (from there).
Sometimes (quite often) Amazon's prices are later beaten by--Amazon. There's very little that feels worse as a consumer than buying a product, then seeing it for less days after, from the same retailer.
This will definitely make me more wary of buying things at Amazon. I'd rather pay the tax and get it from Best Buy etc, knowing I could return/PM it within 30 days.
I've be very interesting in knowing how often people used this policy, and how much money Amazon "lost" by using it (and as a corollary, how much money they "made" on item sales within the first 24 hours of an item's price going up.)
Old 08-30-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like my days at Amazon are now over. I won't be renewing my Prime account again. Amazon prices change so damn often.
Old 08-30-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Between this and the closing of accounts for "incidents", I don't know what's up with Amazon. Quite a few people at SD have had their accounts closed. Kind of makes me want to use up my credit just in case.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=908910
Old 08-30-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope this doesn't mean their Pre-order Price Guarantee is next to go.
Old 08-30-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. I've only used it once though but it was easy to get a credit for the price difference.
Old 08-30-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never really used it myself. If I feel I got a good price to begin with, I'm ok. Not worth it to me just to save a couple of bucks, IMO.
Old 08-30-08, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rkndkn View Post
Between this and the closing of accounts for "incidents", I don't know what's up with Amazon. Quite a few people at SD have had their accounts closed. Kind of makes me want to use up my credit just in case.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=908910
Amazon.com has also closed seller accounts like mine without even giving any explanation as to why even though I have perfect feedback. There is something weird in the changes in policy at Amazon. Another thing they changes that I recently became aware off is a policy that limits who sells top video games like Mario Kart Wii and Grand Theft Auto and the video game consoles.

Like ebay, Amazon is becoming less customer friendly. I don't know if it is the recession in the economy or just corporate idiocy, but companies like Amazon, Ebay and Borders are making drastic changes that aren't bringing new customers and actually are diving old ones away.
Old 08-31-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xbox69 View Post
Never really used it myself. If I feel I got a good price to begin with, I'm ok. Not worth it to me just to save a couple of bucks, IMO.
Same here.
Old 08-31-08, 12:07 AM

I've used it several times, mainly because of their annoying habit of changing prices all the time. In fact w/ any $100+ item I get from them I usually end up putting it back in my cart and use the "save for later" feature to watch the price over the next few weeks. Guess I'm not too surprised they are getting rid of it. The next change I expect is the reward $ amount needed for a GC via their Visa card.
Old 08-31-08, 12:08 AM

Aww shucks, this news sucks, if it is indeed true. Nothing made me happier than being a cheap bastard and emailing Amazon for a credit of like (hmmm...let me see, my last one was $3.23. I mean, even Best Buy still matches the price difference within thirty days and their policies completely suck. This is not enough to make me close my Prime account but it sure makes me feel less loving to Amazon. Thanks for the heads up, OP.
Old 08-31-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The few times I've used it it's been easy, an email from the form, and credit back in a day or so. The least I've saved is 3.00, the most is 15.00. Definitely worth it, especially when I don't have to drive to a store (I wouldn't bother doing that with an item from a B&M for three bucks.) Definitely seems like Amazon is reducing their customer focus.
Old 08-31-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a fan of this announcement. As others have mentioned, Amazon's prices jump around so much. Wonder what their return policy is like....if the price drop was big enough, could you contact them to return something and then re-order it?
Old 08-31-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I'm disappointed in this policy change, I appreciate the heads up. I was going to wait a little while to make a big electronics purchase, but now I'll be placing the order tomorrow.
Old 08-31-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you do the return/rebuy thing too often, that might lead to the other apparently new/stricter policy of being banned, plus, unless it's defective or their screwup, you probably have to pay return shipping (and hope it gets there, in good condition and on time.)
It might not be that bad if Amazon wasn't so spastic with their price changes, not even counting "limited time offers" like DotD and Gold Box. I bought something Gold Box before last Christmas that was a great deal off the regular price, then a week after, the regular price was cheaper than my GB price.
Old 08-31-08, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xbox69 View Post
Me too. I bought The Maltese Falcon 3-Disc for $11.99 just before they lowered the price to $9.99. While the cheap-ass bastard in me was a little disappointed I didn't get the absolute best price - I felt I got a good deal, and it wasn't worth the hassle for a couple of bucks.
Old 08-31-08, 11:06 PM
gamer for life

Wow this sucks. I am a big fan of amazon, but when it comes to older video games, the ones between 6 months and a year, I will no longer buy from amazon if they are not WAY cheaper. The price of these games will fall fast and hard with little notice. Dark Sector dropped almost 6 times in 30 days, a total of about 30 bucks.
Old 09-02-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this notice on the price guarantees I submitted for the Eraser and Outbreak Blu-Ray's.

So basically under the new policy I would have been punished for pre-ordering. I had my pre-orders in at 19.95. If I had placed my pre-orders after the 9/1 deadline, they can ship to me at 19.95 and then drop the price the next day and I'm screwed. There goes the incentive to pre-order from them, and possibly order from them at all.

This will definitely limit my blind buys from them - I'll just get those locally where I can still get price guarantees. I also won't be renewing my Prime when it's up.
Old 09-02-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think i've ever noticed if a price ended up dropping a few bucks later, so it doesn't really bother me too much. That and I don't think I order anything major that could drop a lot shortly after.
Old 09-04-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Amazon just sent me 4 emails, from 4 Blu-rays I bought this week, saying the prices changed, and refunded me $18.50. Eraser, Under Siege 2, Every Which Way But Loose , Gauntlet.

I'm pretty sure I ordered over the weekend though, but hey I'll take it as my last one.
Old 09-04-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well looking on the bright side of this change (though I agree losing it stinks), perhaps Amazon will make prices for things lower more quickly if they don't have to worry about the financial repercussions of having to refund customers from 30 days past. I'm sure they track that sort of thing to a degree.
Old 09-04-08, 12:11 PM

Lame, Amazon. You changed the price nearly daily on the 40" TV I bought, and I ended up getting over $100 back in the following 30 days. I bought it with confidence knowing that you would honor any price drops in the next 30 days. Now I will be a lot more wary in my purchases.
Old 09-04-08, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by blokhed View Post
Lame, Amazon. You changed the price nearly daily on the 40" TV I bought, and I ended up getting over $100 back in the following 30 days. I bought it with confidence knowing that you would honor any price drops in the next 30 days. Now I will be a lot more wary in my purchases.
Agreed. Last month I got 2 items, and $14 in credit back between the two.
Old 09-05-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

THIS BLOWS.

I have used this feature MANY times and saved hundreds of dollars, and I can't believe they're dumping it, considering the ridiculous rate at which many of their items change prices significantly. I got over $300 back after I bought my HDTV, $25 on a Zune--and that's how it SHOULD be if they're going to constantly be changing prices.

At minimum they should stop doing that (so dramatically); but really they should keep it, since you can get an adjustment at any brick/mortar store like Target or Best Buy. VERY BAD.............
Old 09-05-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very disappointing to hear. The post order price guarantee is a primary reason I do a ton of shopping with Amazon, even if items are a little more expensive than other online stores (knowing I can easily get a refund for a potential price drop).

My standard practice for a long time was to place an order and then re-add the item(s) to my cart and periodically refresh my cart in following days/weeks to take note of price changes. I've gotten 100s of dollars in refunds from price drops this year alone, and it takes no time at all as I have a simple letter in notepad and I just plug in the numbers/data for the price drops as needed.

As GizmoDVD, I will most likely not renew my prime subscription at the end of the year.

I will still shop with Amazon, certainly not as much as I usually do (especially with the pricey items).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.