Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix to end Profiles in the name of improvement.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix to end Profiles in the name of improvement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Count me in with those who have separate queues for the wife & myself, and we're both pretty pissed about this. I've sent them a message about it as well.
Old 06-20-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
This will piss me off because my girlfriend and I have separate cues. Normally it's not a big deal, since we have similar tastes, but every once in awhile something gets bumped due to "very long wait" status. When something like that happens, and we're alternating spots, it will jump to the next person's choice, causing one of us to lose our "turn."

Plus, there are places where we don't overlap, like when I get Battlestar Galactica or she gets Flavor of Love. If we have a movie we both want that gets skipped for one of those, there may be some disharmony in the household.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 06-20-08 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-22-08, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the profiles as such: 1 for newer movies (2 at a time), 1 for older, classic movies (1 at a time), and 1 for TV show series (2 at a time).

I just talked with a CSR to voice my displeasure. He mentioned the "very few people use this feature" line, and said they were looking at different ways of doing the profile queues that would make them easier to use by more people.

I said, "That sounds great. How bout we keep the existing profiles available then, until it's determined what can replace them."

CSR: "Uhh...well...the profiles will be discontinued on Sept 1."

Me: "If you can replace the current functionality with another feature that does the same thing, I'm perfectly fine. If you implement something that makes it so I can't do what I currently do with the profile queues, then you've lost a significant differentiation between you and your competition in my eyes. I will be considering other options."

Doubt it will do one bit of good, but I suppose it's better than nothing.
Old 06-22-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Can't say I've ever used the profiles feature since it's basically just me watching the movies (if my gf wants to see something I just add it to my queue).

I am however, disappointed with their new format to "browse DVDs". Before I'd be able to fairly easily find titles that were releaseing that week. If I stayed up on it, I'd never miss a title I wanted to see. Now, with their fancy slidshow-esque format the "new Releases" consist of such HOT recent debuts as Unaccompanied Minors and We Are Marshall! WTF, since when are titles that are more than 2 years old considered "new Releases"!

It's to the point where unless I type in the specific title I'm not going to find anything. So much for "browsing"
Old 06-30-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good news guys...Netflix came to their senses! Just got this email:

We Are Keeping Netflix Profiles

Dear broadwayblue,

You spoke, and we listened. We are keeping Profiles. Thank you for all the calls and emails telling us how important Profiles are.

We are sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused. We hope the next time you hear from us we will delight, and not disappoint, you.

-Your friends at Netflix
Old 06-30-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Beat me by that much! I haven't used it that much, but glad to see that they are sticking with what the customer wants and will actually listen. My original thought was that they were rolling out something better to take its place. If so, they should have done that through a joint announcement.
Old 06-30-08, 04:39 PM

just beat me as well - just got this email - very good news...
Old 06-30-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Now since profiles are staying, maybe I'll actually start to use the feature!
Old 06-30-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Great news.
Old 07-02-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 356 Likes on 230 Posts
I'm glad to hear they're keeping Profiles, even though I no longer have Netflix. Years ago, I wrote a suggestion letter to them asking that everyone in the family get their own queue. I'm sure they got a lot of such suggestions, but it felt pretty good that Netflix listened to me. For a family like mine--where movie watching is often a solitary activity due to age differences--separate queues are essential.
Old 07-14-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clckworang
Now since profiles are staying, maybe I'll actually start to use the feature!

Same here... Been with netflix for a long time and never used profiles.

Can you disable one profile for a time period? I'm traveling next month so it would make sense to turn off my profile while I'm gone.

Do the shipments alternate between profiles? The website doesn't answer very many questions.
Old 07-14-08, 05:38 PM

You have control over the profiles. You can set one up to get 2 movies, and the other to get 1. You can temporarily take one down to zero if you want. Whichever profile the returned disc came from, that's the profile from which the next movie ships. So return a kid's movie, a kid's movie ships. Return a TV disc, the next TV disc ships.
It's a great feature that's very easy to use. I encourage everyone to check it out.