Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing that pisses me off is the feedback form. Why the fuck can't I just choose to leave positive feedback!? I don't want to leave comments unless I'm pissed at the person!!
Old 05-31-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone I know recently bought a PS3 on eBay. They paid, and everything seemed to be going fine. The seller then emailed them back saying that eBay will not release the funds from PayPal until they leave positive feedback first. The seller said they were very broke, and they were planning on shipping using the money for the ebay auction, but since they wouldn't release the funds until positive feedback, they couldn't ship the item.

The person I know, grudgendly, went ahead and left positive feedback so that the other person could get to the money.

Since that time, the buyer hasn't heard back from the seller, and they fear that they have now been screwed over.

I fear that this is going to start happening to more and more people.
Old 05-31-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Bad move, wouldnt Paypal eventually release the funds, after a waiting period? (provided the whole thing wasn't a scam)
Old 06-01-08, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brent L
Someone I know recently bought a PS3 on eBay. They paid, and everything seemed to be going fine. The seller then emailed them back saying that eBay will not release the funds from PayPal until they leave positive feedback first. The seller said they were very broke, and they were planning on shipping using the money for the ebay auction, but since they wouldn't release the funds until positive feedback, they couldn't ship the item.

The person I know, grudgendly, went ahead and left positive feedback so that the other person could get to the money.

Since that time, the buyer hasn't heard back from the seller, and they fear that they have now been screwed over.

I fear that this is going to start happening to more and more people.
You know, I almost have to say the person deserves being taken for believing that paypal wouldn't release funds unless a person gets positive feedback. Who in the world would believe such a thing ?
Old 06-01-08, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fitlissa76
You know, I almost have to say the person deserves being taken for believing that paypal wouldn't release funds unless a person gets positive feedback. Who in the world would believe such a thing ?
Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing, myself.
Old 06-01-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fitlissa76
Yup, me too.
Old 06-20-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ebay fee calculator

http://ebcalc.com/
Old 06-20-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So instead of my item being $25 + $5 shipping it will now be $30 with free shipping. Thanks eBay
Or you could sell an item for more than $25....

Offering free shipping is appealing to buyers, so even if you think you'll break even, it's worth it.
Old 06-23-08, 02:53 PM

looks like it might be full time to amazon.com. I have had to refund 6 of 40 payments due to unconfirmed address. To which I have been bitched at 4 times for it and them now refusing to pay and threating negative feedback. I even made sure to put in every listing that a confirmed address was required.

Fuck you EBAY, fuck you so hard. I hope your fucking company collapses and everyone involves feels the stress of every small seller that you have screwed with.
Old 06-30-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crystal ball says seller fees on the rise

PARIS (AP) — A French commercial court Monday ordered eBay to pay more than $59 million to a high-end fashion company because counterfeit goods were sold on the auction site.
The fashion company, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA, is home to such prestigious brands including Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Fendi, Emilio Pucci and Marc Jacobs, and had complained that it was hurt by the sale of knockoff bags and clothes on eBay.

Pierre Godet, an adviser to LVMH Chairman and CEO Bernard Arnault, said the Paris court's decision was "an answer to a particularly serious question, on whether the Internet is a free-for-all for the most hateful, parasitic practices."

EBay countered that LVMH is trying to crack down on Internet auctions merely because it is uncomfortable with the business model, which tends to cut out the middleman.

"If counterfeits appear on our site, we take them down swiftly," eBay spokeswoman Sravanthi Agrawal said. "But today's ruling is not about counterfeits. Today's ruling is about an attempt by LVMH to protect uncompetitive commercial practices at the expense of consumer choice and the livelihood of law-abiding sellers that eBay empowers every day."

She said eBay hopes to appeal the ruling.
Old 07-03-08, 10:57 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pvdfan

Fuck you EBAY, fuck you so hard.
thats hot...
Old 07-04-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
PARIS (AP) — A French commercial court Monday ordered eBay to pay more than $59 million to a high-end fashion company because counterfeit goods were sold on the auction site.

The fashion company, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA, is home to such prestigious brands including Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Fendi, Emilio Pucci and Marc Jacobs, and had complained that it was hurt by the sale of knockoff bags and clothes on eBay.

Pierre Godet, an adviser to LVMH Chairman and CEO Bernard Arnault, said the Paris court's decision was "an answer to a particularly serious question, on whether the Internet is a free-for-all for the most hateful, parasitic practices."

EBay countered that LVMH is trying to crack down on Internet auctions merely because it is uncomfortable with the business model, which tends to cut out the middleman.
Ha. I bought a Prada hat a few years back, and always questioned it's authenticity. I don't know enough about fashion to say if it's real or not.

I guess that I side with LVMH. It's really hard to stick up for either company. eBay has made themselves very unlikable. And LVMH is what it is ... high-end fashion ... a parisitic, superficial, class-dividing suck.

Would someone explain why the MPAA (or other authority) can't/doesn't/won't crack down on fake DVD sales? I really never got it. Like 50% of the DVD listings are rips. Are they exempt in some way? I stopped looking for DVD's on there a few years back. It was always a hassle to examine every DVD to see if it's real or not.

Update on my 7900+ feedback... I'm at 98.2%. People aren't complete assholes. But there does seem to be a bit more hastiness and nastyness in the buyers. I always (always always) offer a refund if anyone ever has a problem. So we've never had many problems - outside of people who are simply irrational - or just don't contact us about said issue. That REALLY is the only time that we ever have bad feedback.

I still leave people positive feedback, and state "NEGATIVE ..." in the text.

Regardless, the feedback still causes extra worry of negative feedback causes stress which makes it harder to function. And the worst part is that eBay's stance boldly states that the sellers (and, to a lesser extent, the buyers) really have no say in how eBay operates. I spend $6000-$7000/mo with the company, and will never be heard. eBay really - doesn't - care. Their 'we pay attention to our customers' statement is completely insincere.

The only real way that I've been effectively battling eBay is by pushing our 'off-eBay' sales a lot more. If I a customer calls, I always try to hook them on calling back and buying the item direct. I found that it works really, really well. We have also really been pushing our advertisements on other websites. It's really suprising to see how many people out there actually find us from Google searches, which point to non-eBay sites (LabX.Com, Used-Line.Com, etc.).

I like that eBay gives us a 5-15% break on eBay fees, depending on our 'star' ratings for the month. At $6000-or-so, that works out to a good bit savings.
Old 07-05-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this should be interesting....

i sold a couple of dvd's a couple of weeks ago for $11 ($17 with shipping). i mailed them to the confirmed paypal address and put delivery confirmation, according to which, it was delivered 3 days later (6/20). this morning i get a paypal dispute from the buyer that he hasn't received the dvd's yet. and he only has 4 feedback in the last year.
Old 07-06-08, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by kevin75

i sold a couple of dvd's a couple of weeks ago for $11 ($17 with shipping). i mailed them to the confirmed paypal address and put delivery confirmation, according to which, it was delivered 3 days later (6/20). this morning i get a paypal dispute from the buyer that he hasn't received the dvd's yet. and he only has 4 feedback in the last year.
Best of luck to you, no matter what, it will take them a long time to release your funds even if you win.
Old 07-07-08, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin75

And he'll get his money back. Delivery Confirmation does not guarantee delivery as someone can walk by and take it from his door or mailbox. Isn't Paypal wonderful?
Old 07-07-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
And he'll get his money back. Delivery Confirmation does not guarantee delivery as someone can walk by and take it from his door or mailbox. Isn't Paypal wonderful?
I've had claims of the exact same nature where the USPS slip was exactly enough since it showed delivery. I was not debited for the money.

I'm not saying I like Paypal, but they can't offer you postage directly through their site with tracking and then turn around and say that tracking is not good enough.

Of course something could have changed recently - I haven't used Ebay regularly to sell since they put these bullshit terms into place.
Old 07-07-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How old of an auction can you leave feedback for? Some guy I sold a cd to in Deutschland(pronounced douche-land as far as Im concerned) is telling me he never received the cd but when I went to click on the item next to his feedback it says it has either been removed or is over 90 days old. So am I in the clear of this guy being able to leave me a negative if its 90+ days old. I searched for an answer but couldnt find anything. He also paid for it via paypal over 60 days ago, thats over the limit too right?
Old 07-08-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you are free and clear!
Old 12-12-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
so there appears to be no way to make shipping higher then $3.00?

i have a box set to put up and i cannot get shipping higher then that, even if i set the shipping to priority mail.
Old 12-13-08, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by whotony

i have a box set to put up and i cannot get shipping higher then that, even if i set the shipping to priority mail.
I thought you could raise it for priority..Also some of the sellers are charging
higher by requiring a fee for insurance and not insuring it..
DG
Old 12-13-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August200...e/MaxShipping/

Limits on shipping and handling charges for select categories
Starting in October, limits on shipping and handling charges* will be in effect for select categories. These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S. Sellers are required to offer at least one shipping option within the maximum and may also offer other options above the maximums for expedited or international shipping. Sellers can still use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs at or below the maximums or if their listings are not standard -- e.g., if you're selling an unusual large/ or heavy item, or a bundle-you can also use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs. See FAQs for more details.
Old 12-14-08, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by disneyguy
I thought you could raise it for priority..Also some of the sellers are charging
higher by requiring a fee for insurance and not insuring it..
DG
I don't think that will work anymore. I was listing a highly collectible CD and was requireing insurance and it wouldn't let me even though my shipping charges were 3.00 and the insurance was acutal cost.

I have not done this, but I've thought about it. You can list a media item as a lot and add a throw-away CD or something. That way you can legitimately charge up to 10.00 for p&h.
Old 12-15-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I just use the shipping calculator. Since the calculator doesn't take fractions for the dimensions of packages, I round up everything to the next whole number. Occasionally, the actual cost is lesser to the point I refund the difference; otherwise, it's usually within fifty cents, and nobody ever seems to miss that. In any event, I haven't gotten burned on the shipping cost vs. what my buyers have paid yet.
Old 12-15-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The policy is you have to give the buyer at least one shipping option at $3. You can add another option for a higher cost, but so far no buyer has taken me up on it. So media mail it is.
Old 12-15-08, 04:48 PM

As many here will know, Ebay's attempt to introduce the 'Paypal or the highway' rule in Australia was a PR disaster. They could not have got it any more wrong. It seems they believed that Ebay users would follow blindly, regardless of changes. One power seller I know now uses other sites, with his Ebay usage down to about 20% of his overall listings. His sales are steady.

I was an occasional buyer and seller. I might use Ebay to buy, but I won't bother selling, when I can list for free on an Australian site. Might take longer to sell, but it's not costing me if it doesn't.

One thing I can tell you for a fact. Nearly 80% of my bookmarked favourite sellers (mostly dvd, film memorabilia, books etc) have shut up shop on Ebay over the last 6-8 months. Some big stores with thousands of listings and five figure sales figures. Gone. They are the sellers that helped the company grow and Ebay now depend on to remain profitable.

You can't tell me Ebay is not feeling the squeeze.

Last edited by parramatta; 12-15-08 at 04:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.