Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

$.75 should be included in whatever you charge the person who won the auction.
At least included in whatever you charge for shipping.
Old 06-15-10, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
You watch the movies or polish the cases? These things are going to be worthless in 5-10 years.
They're already worthless. I can't give away the DVDs I want rid of. Of course, the few titles I still need still have to retail $12-$15 instead of 10. Then all the marketplace/ebay idiots try to gouge for them too even though nobody in there right mind would pay so much for certain low budget titles. What is Dimension smoking to still have Wes Craven's Dracula 3 Legacy running $20 (Hell, Amazon still wants $27)? I finally ended up ordering a sealed copy on ebay for $10 yesterday from a seller that's not insane.
Old 06-15-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
$.75 should be included in whatever you charge the person who won the auction.
At least included in whatever you charge for shipping.
Thats excellent in theory, too bad Ebay caps what you can charge for shipping for a DVD auction at $3. Try shipping a box set for $3. Which auction do you buy, the $9.99 auction or the $10.75 auction?
Old 06-15-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Thats excellent in theory, too bad Ebay caps what you can charge for shipping for a DVD auction at $3. Try shipping a box set for $3.
For a single DVD auction, $3 is more than enough to cover first-class postage, a $0.25 bubble mailer, and a little extra to cover other costs.

For box sets, you can charge more than $3 by using the shipping calculator to charge for exact shipping costs. Re-use an Amazon shipping box to cut down on your supplies cost, or ship it via USPS Priority flat rate medium box to get a free box.
Old 06-16-10, 06:34 AM

I just don't understand how people find it acceptable to haphazardly package and ship single DVDs and boxsets. I don't know how many times I've gotten packages with no thought of padding or securing that the item would survive being tossed around, being on the bottom of a heavy pile of other packages, or being crammed into a mailbox. People actually believe wrapping a couple of pieces of copy paper around a boxset and slapping on some stamps would not result in some sort of damage when it gets delivered.
Old 06-16-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
For a single DVD auction, $3 is more than enough to cover first-class postage, a $0.25 bubble mailer, and a little extra to cover other costs.

For box sets, you can charge more than $3 by using the shipping calculator to charge for exact shipping costs. Re-use an Amazon shipping box to cut down on your supplies cost, or ship it via USPS Priority flat rate medium box to get a free box.
The problem with that is you are penalized in search if you use the shipping calculator.

Ebay needs to do something. They have killed their mainstream dvd market. A seller like buy.com is the only type who can move in and start a stable store on ebay. You have to be able to buy direct and negotiate the fees down.

Ebay needs to move their fees to about 7% and leave the listing fee at .05. They just arent competitive any more. It cost more to list there on dvds below $50 than Amazon.

The mainstream retailer on ebay is a dying animal. It has become a nightmare with all the changes and excessive fees. checkout whiteelephantmedia.com and read their horror stories.

I have been a power seller for about 6 years now and cant see my business growing much in the future unless they make changes.
Old 09-20-13, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish there was a better alternative to selling on EBay, it's kind of ridiculous I sell old video games and give Ebay almost 1/3 of the money i make on them. I mean an insertion fee then a percentage of final price, then money from receiving payment via Paypal. It almost seems illegal. So I sold some video games for about $160 and I paid ebay about $45 of those dollars or about 1 and a half of the games I sold.
Old 09-20-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
So I sold some video games for about $160 and I paid ebay about $45 of those dollars or about 1 and a half of the games I sold.
Damn. That's really fucked up.

I don't think I've sold anything on eBay in eight or ten years. Back then I sold a bunch of old Transformers toys and some comic books I no older had any interest in and did quite well. I think I only paid the insertion fees (I started the auctions at less than $10 so the fees weren't a lot... twenty five cents, maybe?) and then the final value fee which was something like 5% or so. And they also didn't make me kick back a cut of my shipping and handling. I never used PayPal at the time, only checks and money orders, though several people actually sent me cash in the mail. One guy actually sent me $165 in an envelope (three fifties, a ten, and a five)!

What does their fee structure (eBay and PayPal) look like now?

ETA: Looks like they charge a flat ten percent for the final value fee which includes the final selling price plus shipping costs for a regular listing. Looks like they charge more for certain bells and whistles, and I'm not sure what PayPal's pound of flesh looks like.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-20-13 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-21-13, 12:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I sold about 200 things on Ebay over the course of 3 years, but I stopped selling altogether. Between the constantly increasing fees and the fact that they never back up the seller, it was just not worth it anymore. I still buy there when I have to, but would love a good alternative.
Old 09-23-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I wish there was a better alternative to selling on EBay, it's kind of ridiculous I sell old video games and give Ebay almost 1/3 of the money i make on them. I mean an insertion fee then a percentage of final price, then money from receiving payment via Paypal. It almost seems illegal. So I sold some video games for about $160 and I paid ebay about $45 of those dollars or about 1 and a half of the games I sold.
That doesn't sound right. There are no insertion fees, and FVF's should only have been 10%, plus about 3% for PayPal. So your total fees on $160 sold should have been about $22 or so, or half of what you said. Care to post your breakdown?
Old 09-27-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done it yet, but a new policy says if you choose an ebay voucher for payment instead of paypal money, you pay no seller fees at all. I'm assuming you still lose money on the buyers pay pal transaction, but I could be wrong, haven't read into it that far.

Last edited by hasslein; 09-27-13 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hasslein
I haven't done it yet, but a new policy says if you choose an ebay voucher for payment instead of paypal money, you pay no seller fees at all. I'm assuming you still lose money on the buyers pay pal transaction, but I could be wrong, haven't read into it that far.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of this, but I guess it's been running for a month or so. I'm not sure if I've been invited to the promotion or not.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/nosellfees/

Basically, there are no fees at all. Not even PayPal fees. The only caveat is that you get a voucher as payment, so you have to spend it at eBay. If you sell AND buy a lot on eBay, like I do, it might be worth it. The vouchers do not expire, so there's little risk if you intend to spend that much money buying at eBay eventually.
Old 10-10-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

eBay is on a purge right now, getting rid of sellers.

Got an email today saying "Your account has been restricted indefinitely". Selling for 11 years, power seller at one time. eBay threads are full of sellers who got the boot today. It is being referred to as Purge 2.0

Stats:
99.6% positive feedback (3 negatives this year)
DSR 4.9/5 across the board

The negatives did dip me below standard last year, but I have been improving.

Most common items I sell are movies, games, and comic books.

CSR have been useless, though 1 did tell me I was above standard selling, but that still got me no where.
Old 10-10-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. This article says it might be because of protection cases where eBay had to force you to refund buyers:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog...6831.html/2/20

Does that apply to you, stingermck?
Old 10-11-13, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang

Does that apply to you, stingermck?
Last October I had a buyer open a case against me and it went to eBay for a decision, which seems common in their dispute practice. That's the only thing close. I got another negative from a buyer who was unhappy with the purchase, but never opened a case. I honestly just forgot about it until I got the neg. Even still, looking at the boards on eBay, there are sellers with 100% feedback and perfect DSR getting the boot.

Last edited by stingermck; 10-11-13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-01-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The problem is that buyers/consumers are not purchasing on ebay as much anymore. That is why they released news today that ebay buyer protection is now ebay money back guarantee. Because buyers/consumers are hesitant to deal with ebay's shitty scamming ways.
Old 11-04-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
eBay is on a purge right now, getting rid of sellers.

Got an email today saying "Your account has been restricted indefinitely". Selling for 11 years, power seller at one time. eBay threads are full of sellers who got the boot today. It is being referred to as Purge 2.0

Stats:
99.6% positive feedback (3 negatives this year)
DSR 4.9/5 across the board
I don't think eBay wants smaller dealers/sellers on their site anymore. They continue to push out the non-corporate sellers, turning the auction site into a facsimile of Amazon's marketplace.
Old 06-15-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Has anyone noticed that on many completed auctions, ebay now takes you to a new, current auction for a similar item instead of the completed auction you're trying to find? At the top of the "new" listing, you get "The listing you're looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.", highlighted in blue. You have to click on the word "listing" in that sentence to find the original auction.

Another thing, there was a link in auctions to view seller's other items, or if they had a store, you could choose to go to their store. They took away the view other items link, so it takes you directly to their store instead of just showing a regular list of their items.

They've also added Best Offer to regular auctions, not just Buy It Now. Apparently ebay may put this in the auction themselves without the seller having any control. I don't fully understand how it works yet.

Last edited by sportsfan64; 06-15-18 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-17-18, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Has anyone noticed that on many completed auctions, ebay now takes you to a new, current auction for a similar item instead of the completed auction you're trying to find? At the top of the "new" listing, you get "The listing you're looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.", highlighted in blue. You have to click on the word "listing" in that sentence to find the original auction.
They've been doing that for years.

Another thing, there was a link in auctions to view seller's other items, or if they had a store, you could choose to go to their store. They took away the view other items link, so it takes you directly to their store instead of just showing a regular list of their items.
You can still get there by clicking on the username in the auction listing instead, and then click the "Items for sale" link. One extra click.

They've also added Best Offer to regular auctions, not just Buy It Now. Apparently ebay may put this in the auction themselves without the seller having any control. I don't fully understand how it works yet.
This is not correct. Best Offer has been available for auction listings for years, but eBay does not add it automatically. The seller has to select the option when creating the listing. The Best Offer option disappears on the listing after the first bid has been placed.
Old 06-17-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

I was always able to view a completed auction in full detail without automatically being taken to a new, current auction. This changed for me in May. I never had to click on extra links to get back to the old auction.

I figured out about how to find a seller's other items without viewing their store.

I was going by a thread in the ebay forums about them adding Best Offer to regular auctions without the seller's control.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sellin...qaq-p/28183269
Old 06-20-18, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going by a thread in the ebay forums about them adding Best Offer to regular auctions without the seller's control.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sellin...qaq-p/28183269
Sorry, I got Best Offer confused with Buy It Now. Still, it's easy enough to avoid. Don't use the Quick listing form while being a new/low-volume seller and setting the initial bid price too high.
Old 06-20-18, 10:19 AM

Welcome to ebay, where the buyer rules the day and the seller is a cancerous cyst!
Old 10-09-18, 12:35 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I just noticed they increased seller fees on media to 12%. Great.