DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   When does the Borders/Amazon partnership end? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/522727-when-does-borders-amazon-partnership-end.html)

Trevor 05-21-08 10:18 AM

How does one get an unbillable credit card? Don't they check it when you add the card?

Gizmo 05-21-08 10:40 AM

Nope, Amazon told me its over and thats why they charged my card. Get them in fast. Looks like its still active but a a crapshoot if you get charged or not.

Peep 05-21-08 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
How does one get an unbillable credit card? Don't they check it when you add the card?

I'm sure they do some sort of validation, but that does not seem to include 1-time use numbers (like Citibank provides). Also, I sometimes use one of those store-bought Visa cards which you can get at supermarkets. I like to make up fake names and addresses on those just in case somebody tries to charge them after their balance hits zero. Once they hit zero, I'll attach them to an Amazon account. Amazon makes sure the billing address (not the shipping address) matches the card and that the card has a legit number, but they don't authorize the card until the order starts to ship.

Be careful, though. If they decline to use your GC, they may attempt to use others credit card numbers previously used by that same account if the backing credit card fails to authorize.

I generally keep one Amazon account open for non-GC purchases (which have my real credit card attached) and one for GC purchases. Sometimes I'll buy an Amazon gift certificate from my 'real' account to use in my GC account if my GC doesn't cover the purchase I'm planning on making.

Gizmo 05-22-08 09:27 PM

Still working for anyone? I still have $43 left :(

bhauge 05-23-08 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Still working for anyone? I still have $43 left :(

Yup! Placed an order tonight for "The Wild Wild West" Season 3 and Season 4 ($24.99 each) and it's already entered the "Shipping Soon" phase :)

Sweet Baby James 05-24-08 01:01 AM

www.borders.com still redirects you to Amazon. However, their beta site is up and running and big surprise, their prices suck!

http://beta.borders.com/online/store/Home

SFranke 05-24-08 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
www.borders.com still redirects you to Amazon. However, their beta site is up and running and big surprise, their prices suck!

http://beta.borders.com/online/store/Home

Shocker. Really though, I've been browsing the site with my calculator open to see what prices are like after 40% off, and they are pretty good.

Sweet Baby James 05-24-08 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SFranke
Shocker. Really though, I've been browsing the site with my calculator open to see what prices are like after 40% off, and they are pretty good.

Don't forget, it's 40% off of list price. I also noticed that Borders has several items priced above list price, such as Cloverfield Blu-Ray for $40.99. Also, I will now have to pay tax. There will be some things that will be cheaper at Borders than at Amazon. However, as a whole, this is bad news. It was good while it lasted.

Gizmo 05-24-08 11:27 AM

Borders new site is slow and clunky. Crap, still got $43 left. Anyone confirm its still working?

SFranke 05-24-08 11:33 AM

Don't forget, it's 40% off of list price. I also noticed that Borders has several items priced above list price, such as Cloverfield Blu-Ray for $40.99. Also, I will now have to pay tax. There will be some things that will be cheaper at Borders than at Amazon. However, as a whole, this is bad news. It was good while it lasted.

The worst offender I saw was Rush's Replay DVD set: $43 where MSRP is $40. I'm mainly interested in CDs, and that's probably where most deals can be found.

Peep 05-25-08 04:22 AM

Just tried 1 more (last?) order. Activated a trial Prime mebership to speed things along. Will report back later.

Superdaddy 05-25-08 10:52 AM

I used my last Borders gift card online last night, but at their new site. Didn't bother trying at Borders/amazon as I didn't want the transaction denied and my credit card charged.

Picked up four cheap CD titles, and got free shipping since the order was over $25. Total cost was about $30 including tax, so I only had to pay about $5 out of pocket.

I had been getting these gift cards as cashback rewards from Discover card for years; can't imagine how much amazon merchandise I bought with them but it must be in the thousands of dollars. When I first started redeeming them, Discover was still offering double the value...cash in $20 of your cashback bonus, get a $40 gift card. Good times.

Then the rebate was dropped from $40 to $25 but I kept collecting anyway. I've literally built most of my DVD collection at no cost, using these rebates.

I have an amazon.com Visa and get rebates form that too; now I'll just get them more frequently as I'll be shifting more of my business over to that credit card. With the Borders/amazon link coming to an end, there aren't many other partners on Discover that grab my interest.

Peep 05-25-08 12:49 PM

He shoots, he scores!

Peep 05-25-08 10:31 PM

Just tried one more. If that works, I may try another tomorrow.

Peep 05-25-08 11:08 PM

Still working!

Sweet Baby James 05-26-08 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Still working!

It's now DEAD!:rip: :sad:

Gizmo 05-26-08 09:15 PM

Glad I used my last $42 on Orphanage and Twister on Blu-ray. Goodbye Borders...it was fun.

Peep 05-26-08 09:25 PM

It's now DEAD!:rip: :sad:

Well, I got one last oder in about an hour or so ago. www.borders.com was already pointed at the new website, but I still had some Borders product in my wishlist. We'll see if it takes. I just tried checking my gc balance at Amazon and it's listed as unavailable, so chances are slim.

It was nice that the people who were wondering if it was still active the last couple of days thanked the people who confirmed that it was. Oh, wait.... they never did. :)

Cardsfan111 05-26-08 10:28 PM

I used all of my remaining gift cards a couple of months ago. I had to go just now and pull up the Borders site just to see the new look. It made me sad. :(

Peep 05-26-08 11:15 PM

My Borders GC was just charged the full amount and I'm now able to check balances again on Amazon's site. Maybe people with GCs who have Borders product still in their wishlist can get another order in quick.

bhauge 05-26-08 11:55 PM

I too am sad at the demise of the Amazon/Borders relationship :( I see there is a place on the checkout page to enter a Promotion Code, but it looks like the number from the current coupons don't/won't work. For one thing, the current codes are 18 digits, but the field only accepts 17 digits. I hope the next set of coupons have codes that will work.

Sweet Baby James 05-27-08 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I had to go just now and pull up the Borders site just to see the new look. It made me sad. :(

I'm already sick of looking at Barbara Walters!

SFranke 05-27-08 07:57 AM

If it's any consolation, Borders dropped their prices on a lot of items. Most CDs I've had my eye on are $1-$2 less. Even the Rush Replay x3 set I mentioned above is now $41...only $1 above MSRP!

Sweet Baby James 05-27-08 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by bhauge
I too am sad at the demise of the Amazon/Borders relationship :( I see there is a place on the checkout page to enter a Promotion Code, but it looks like the number from the current coupons don't/won't work. For one thing, the current codes are 18 digits, but the field only accepts 17 digits. I hope the next set of coupons have codes that will work.

Taken from the DVD Bargains forum, this code does indeed work on the new site-

Originally Posted by Funk
http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon30100529.htm

VALID THROUGH
6/01/08
30% Off
the List Price of One Item
with Purchase of $10 or More
Borders.com Promotion Code: SL4664

Looks like it's 30% off your entire order when used on (the new) Borders.com (?)

I'm going to hold out for the next 40% off coupon.

kyle 06-03-08 04:13 PM

So dissapointing, I wish I had known about this earlier--I just noticed this yesterday when visiting the borders web site. I have a bunch of Discovercard Borders gift cards I would have used on amazon before the 29th had I known.

Speaking of that, I still have 2 open orders that I placed using borders gift cards. Does anyone know:
- if they will still charge the gift card instead of the credit card?
- how long it takes to ship these orders? (one was a preorder of a blu-ray disc that was released today--I have Prime, and before these pre-orders would have shipped by Monday at the latest, but it is still not even in "shipping soon" state)

The Borders.com prices are awful--and of course they charge tax on top of all that!

I only kept the Discover card for the Borders gift cards since you could use them on Amazon. May be time for a new credit card.