Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

When does the Borders/Amazon partnership end?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last word, if I remember correctly, was that Borders would open up their own web store on Jan 1. Meanwhile, I still have Borders store credit that I'd like to use before it is too late. Any updates?
Old 01-15-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have any info, but I would use them up as fast as you can. I'm hoping that if you have a pre-order in place, the order will still go through even if Borders had already severed their tie with Amazon. BTW, this very question was asked last week-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=521596 .
Old 01-16-08, 10:45 AM

Thanks. Gold Edition members still enjoy the privilege of not having to search before posting, right?
Old 01-31-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
According to these articles it sounds like the partnership will end on Feb 3 or shortly after.

http://www.news.com/Borders-to-break...ml?tag=cd.lede

Borders to break free of Amazon

By Reuters

Published: January 16, 2008, 5:43 AM PST

Borders views the launch of its new Web site as a chance to control its own destiny and help spur a turnaround at the book retailer, executives say.

Borders has been running its site in an alliance with Amazon.com since 1991. Amazon has operated the site, while Borders got a portion of the sales from Borders.com.

But that will change in its fiscal first quarter--which starts February 3--when Borders' agreement with Amazon is no longer in effect, and it launches its new Web site on its own.

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...es-solo-online

Borders goes solo online

Book chain ends Amazon partnership with upgraded web site launch

Angelica Mari, Computing, 21 Jan 2008

Book retailer Borders has ended its alliance with Amazon for the running of its e-commerce operations.

The agreeement between the two businesses, in place since 1991, expires in February and Borders' new site will formally launch by this spring.
Old 01-31-08, 05:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
So I have three days to try to use $235 in Borders gift cards. Maybe a PS3.
Old 01-31-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Perkinsun Dzees. I've got a couple of gifts cards to use as well.
Old 01-31-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads-up, PD. I wonder if they will honor pre-orders or cancel them once they split.
Old 01-31-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Shit. That is sooner than I thought. Need to see if I still have any credit there.
Old 01-31-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
So I have three days to try to use $235 in Borders gift cards. Maybe a PS3.
You can only use 1 gift card per order. If you have a few gift cards, then you might want to stop at a Borders tomorrow and have them roll it into one big card.
Old 01-31-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although it sounds like Borders could end it's partnership with Amazon in a couple of days, I'd be surprised if they do so before their own website is up and running (in the Spring).
Old 01-31-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Well, I just went to place an order at Borders/Amazon and noticed that when I placed an item in my cart from Borders.com and went to checkout, the item description no longer says "Sold by Borders.com teamed with Amazon.com" (or whatever it used to say). Now it just says "Sold by Amazon.com".

However, when I entered my Borders gift/return card as payment for the order, it accepted it.

Not sure what that means exactly, but it looks like the end is definitely near.

Or course, it could also mean that the Borders.com site will stay up for the time being and that somehow you'll still be able to place orders through it until they have their new site ready to go.

Whatever the case, we'll know in a few days.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 01-31-08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You can only use 1 gift card per order. If you have a few gift cards, then you might want to stop at a Borders tomorrow and have them roll it into one big card.
Have been thinking about that...thanks for the reminder. Off to find my cards now before I forget.
Old 02-02-08, 12:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Oh shit...I have $250 store credit...WTF am I going to do?!
Old 02-02-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Buy a PS3 and send it to me!

Either that or preorder a fuckton of stuff from Amazon.
Old 02-02-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones

Either that or preorder a fuckton of stuff from Amazon.

That's what I did, but I'm concerned about the pre-orders. Since Amazon doesn't charge your gift card until the order ships, I'm worried that they will cancel the order. I could see them sending out emails stating that they can no longer process Borders gift cards and that if you still want the order, you'll have to provide alternate payment. I sure hope that I'm worrying about nothing.
Old 02-02-08, 11:18 AM

That's what I did, but I'm concerned about the pre-orders. Since Amazon doesn't charge your gift card until the order ships, I'm worried that they will cancel the order. I could see them sending out emails stating that they can no longer process Borders gift cards and that if you still want the order, you'll have to provide alternate payment. I sure hope that I'm worrying about nothing.
Good catch, I'll avoid pre-orders.

I was going to buy a DS but they are oos, only have them from sellers now. I guess I could still buy one, but prefer to not use sellers.

I was also going to buy a PS3, but there is no discount or 5 free offer going on right now, and I hate to pay full price for anything.

I'll probably end up just not using most of the credit, and waiting for the regular 40% off Borders coupons.
Old 02-02-08, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Anyone we can tell for sure? Maybe call Amazon and/or Borders and ask?

I just pre-ordered 3 Blu-ray/HD DVD titles, and I would hate to have to buy stuff I'm not really interested in right now just to use it up.
Old 02-02-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

That's actually a valid point. Nobody knows what's going to happen. I'll change my answer to order a fuckton of instock items, then!
Old 02-02-08, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Arg. I guess I'll buy some things.
Old 02-02-08, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Arg.
This is my sentiment as well. After the recent extravaganza at BMG, I hate to spend my GCs even on stuff I know I want to have, despite the fact that said GCs will imminently become more or less useless to me. I now completely understand consumption smoothing.
Old 02-02-08, 04:06 PM
Suspended

I just don't know what to buy...thats the problem. Maybe a TIVO HD? Maybe a Onkyp receiver? Wish I knew for sure this was happening today.
Old 02-02-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon sells just about everything in the free world. I'm getting a set of 5.1 Harmon Kardon speakers for my bedroom, since it's dropped about 50 bucks in the past week.
Old 02-02-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, having the Onkyo 605, I vote for that. It's a great receiver.
Old 02-03-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The sky hasn't fallen just yet. You can still make orders through borders.com. I think tomorrow will be the day to see if they are calling it quits.
Old 02-03-08, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Well, I just went to place an order at Borders/Amazon and noticed that when I placed an item in my cart from Borders.com and went to checkout, the item description no longer says "Sold by Borders.com teamed with Amazon.com" (or whatever it used to say). Now it just says "Sold by Amazon.com".

However, when I entered my Borders gift/return card as payment for the order, it accepted it.
This bit concerned me. However, in the order history, items purchased through Borders.com will have the familiar "Sold by Borders.com teamed with Amazon.com." I'll keep an eye on my CC charges just in case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.