DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   When does the Borders/Amazon partnership end? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/522727-when-does-borders-amazon-partnership-end.html)

BuckNaked2k 05-01-08 03:18 PM

I just called the customer support number on the back of the card.

While the rep confirmed that Borders was indeed splitting from Amazon at some point in the future, she certainly did not believe that it was going into effect today.

I believe that this is an Amazon.com system glitch, although it does seem awfully fishy that it is occurring on May 1.

Sweet Baby James 05-01-08 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. I've been back and forth with Amazon today and they keep sending me the same canned response. I just wanted to alert them to the problem so that they could get to work on fixing it. Here is the last reply that I received from Amazon, FWIW-

Thank you writing to us with your concern.

We are not stopped accepting Borders gift card on our website.

To use Borders gift cards and to complete the purchase successfully:

1. Add the items from our co-branded store to your Shopping Cart.
2. Click "Proceed to Checkout." When filling out the online order form:
3. Enter the gift card number in the space marked "Do you have a gift card or promotional code?"

Be sure to click the "Apply" button after entering the number.

No deductions are made from your Borders Gift Card until your order is ready for shipment. If the cost of your order is greater than the value of your Borders Gift Card, we'll charge the balance of the order to your credit card at the time of shipment. For this reason, we'll ask for your credit card information when you place your order; this is a standard requirement, even if the current balance on your gift card is greater than the order total.

For more information about using Borders Gift Cards, including a list of restrictions, please visit our web site at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=602598

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=ccyaqwxd3264288572
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=ccyaqwxd3264288572

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

Yakuza Bengoshi 05-01-08 07:11 PM

^Sweet Baby James, thanks for taking the time to try to get this resolved with Amazon and to keep us informed. FWIW, I tried to use a gift card online today too without success. If this is successfully resolved, I'll take it as a sign to stop procrastinating and find something to buy with that gift card.

BuckNaked2k 05-02-08 10:49 AM

The problems continue with the Borders gift cards.

Although neither Borders' nor Amazon's customer service has any information on these being "shut off", it's pretty clear that their information system was programmed not to accept them starting on 5/1, (the originally announced switch over day).

Kocheese99 05-02-08 10:57 AM

I just tried as well, and it won't let me use it. It did work yesterday though. So we'll see if this is the end or not.

Sweet Baby James 05-02-08 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
I just tried as well, and it won't let me use it. It did work yesterday though. So we'll see if this is the end or not.

It hasn't worked since April 30 for me. I sent another email to Amazon telling them that if they have stopped accepting Borders gift cards, then admit it and take down the www.borders.com site so we can all get along with our lives.-wink- If they truly are still accepting them, then get some mofos to work on resolving the glitch. I'll post their response once I receive it.

Sweet Baby James 05-02-08 03:44 PM

Well, it would appear that Amazon doesn't wish to acknowledge the problem. I just received the exact same canned response that they dished out yesterday. Here is their response to my inquiry(I'll put it in spoilers for length)-

Spoiler:
Greetings from Amazon.com.

You're welcome to use Borders Gift Cards as payment for purchases made on the Borders teamed with Amazon.com site. The option to use a Gift Card should appear on the order form as you proceed through the checkout process. Please note that Gift Cards can only be used when placing orders through the order form; they may not be used for 1-Click orders.

If you wish to use your Borders Gift Card but are receiving an error message, this may be because the items you're attempting to purchase were not added to your Shopping Cart through the Borders teamed with Amazon.com store:
http://www.borders.com/

or you have one or more third-party items in your cart--for example, an Amazon Marketplace listing or an apparel item.

To correct your order, take note of the items in your cart, delete them, and then add them once more to your Shopping Cart from the Borders teamed with Amazon.com store. You'll then be able to enter your Borders Gift Card as payment for the order. When filling out the online order form:

1. Enter the gift card number in the space marked "Do you have a gift card or promotional code?"
2. Click the "Apply" button after entering the number.

I hope that this information is helpful. For more information about using Borders Gift Cards, including a full list of restrictions, please visit our web site at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=602598

I've also included a few of the more common restrictions below.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Common Borders Gift Card Restrictions:

1. Borders Gift Cards can only be redeemed at www.borders.com;
Borders Gift Cards cannot be redeemed at www.amazon.com.

2. Borders Gift Cards cannot be used to pay for purchases or orders
containing any Amazon Marketplace items, or any other items that
are fulfilled by a third party.

3. Borders Gift Cards cannot be used for the purchase of Amazon.com
gift cards.

4. Only one Borders Gift Card may be redeemed per online transaction.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=rtfavtcd3266320383
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=rtfavtcd3266320383

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Sujith
Amazon.com Customer Service
==============================
Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account

---- Original message: ----

---------------
05/02/08 09:08:33
Your Name:Sweet Baby James:D
Comments:Well, it seems that you have stopped accepting Borders gift cards as method of payment as of May 1 even though you continue to claim that you do still accept them. I am unable to place an order with a Borders gift card and I have read on other forums that no one has been able to since April 30. If you have no intention of accepting Borders gift cards from this point forward, I would like to know so that I can arrange for alternative payment for the order that I wish to place. If it is a technical glitch, I hope that you are working on a resolution so that I can use my Borders gift card before you end your relationship with Borders. I have included the previous correspondence below. Thanks.

Peep 05-02-08 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Best regards,

Sujith
Amazon.com Customer Service

Say no more.

Sweet Baby James 05-02-08 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Say no more.

:lol:

BuckNaked2k 05-02-08 06:51 PM

I received a slightly more encouraging reply earlier:

I'm sorry for the trouble you had when placing an order with Borders gift cards.

We are aware of this issue, and our technical team is working on taking care of it right now.

Often these errors are corrected after only a short time, so please try again in a day or two.

Thanks for your patience while we fix this problem and thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Kocheese99 05-02-08 06:57 PM

well if it doesn't get fixed tonight we probably won't hear anything till monday. Hopefully we can still use them for a little while longer.

Yakuza Bengoshi 05-03-08 08:41 AM

It's fixed! I just successfully placed an order using a Borders gift card on the Borders/Amazon site. This past problem was a good wake up call to me to use that card.

Sweet Baby James 05-03-08 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
It's fixed! I just successfully placed an order using a Borders gift card on the Borders/Amazon site. This past problem was a good wake up call to me to use that card.

Thanks for the heads-up!

dizzlle01 05-04-08 06:23 AM

time to finsh off all my giftcard.

BuckNaked2k 05-05-08 07:02 AM

Same here. No more procrastinating. BOGOs be damned.

tbwmp88 05-09-08 01:20 AM

nevermind

bhauge 05-10-08 02:19 PM

OK, I've got an update from the Borders supervisor that I've been conversing with. Here are the highlights:
  • There will be a "soft" rollover of the Amazon->Borders website starting May 18th. This will be an unannounced rollover. It sounds like there may still be times during that week (18th-24th) where the Borders site would take you to Amazon, but it may be unpredictable.
  • The "hard" rollover will occur on May 25th. From this date on, everything will be under the control of Borders.
  • The weekly coupons that are currently used in the store will be able to be applied to online orders (40%-off DVDs, 40%-off best seller books, etc.). I expect these discounts will apply off MSRP and not off their current selling price (same way that is done now in the stores).
  • You will be able apply your "Borders Bucks" to your online order.
  • I didn't get a clear picture on what their "normal" selling price will be on items such as DVDs. He hinted that since items were being sold online and didn't have the overhead of their retail stores, that they would probably sell for less than MSRP. I think we'll have to wait and see.
  • They will still offer free shipping on orders > $25
  • I think the issue of pre-orders is still a concern. If you had pre-orders for May 20th, you're probably still OK. If it's a May 27th pre-order, it might still be honored since it is so close to the rollover. Any pre-order beyond the 27th, I'd be concerned that they would either cancel the order, or that it would be fulfilled by Borders at whatever their price would be.
So the bottom line in all this is that you may want to use up your Borders gift cards this week if:
  1. You have Amazon items (MP3 players, cookware, etc.) that you want to add to your Borders order (although as tbwmp88 pointed out, we may be beyond that point now).
  2. You think that you can get a better price on Borders items now instead of waiting for the switchover.
That's all I have. I'll pass on any other information that I hear.

tbwmp88 05-10-08 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info bhauge!

Sweet Baby James 05-10-08 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by tbwmp88
Thanks for the info bhauge!

Ditto! BTW, I just did a return a few days ago and they are still giving full value. The 30% less policy hasn't taken effect as of this past Wednesday.

Peep 05-11-08 01:54 AM

Thanks for the update!

Gizmo 05-11-08 01:23 PM

Crap. Gotta use mine up then...

Gizmo 05-11-08 02:03 PM

Ditto! BTW, I just did a return a few days ago and they are still giving full value. The 30% less policy hasn't taken effect as of this past Wednesday.

What 30%?

Sweet Baby James 05-11-08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
What 30%?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=530611

Gizmo 05-11-08 03:54 PM

Just returned some DVDs...got full MSRP (minus a boxset that was on sale at 20% off)

bhauge 05-15-08 12:34 PM

Just a quick FYI. I was able to place an order for a Borders item (DVD) and a non-Borders item (NiMH Batteries) and saw that both of them were charged to my Borders GC. I might try for another combo order before the "soft" rollover on the 18th.