Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Just received yet another bootleg/copy DVD from Half.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I've had the worst luck buying DVD's off Half.com They've all be advertised at "Brand New Region 1" and almost everyone one of them have been bootlegs/copies. Has anyone else had the same problem?
Old 12-17-07, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm... do you always go through the sellers' feedback? Certain types of comments (sometimes even on positive ratings) can be a red flag... looking at the score alone isn't enough.

I always look at least a few pages of comments to see if there's anything unusual... ANYTHING that says "not as described", etc. is an immediate red flag. Also, anytime someone leaves a negative rating or complaint that doesn't have a response from the seller is another warning signal. Also, ANYTIME I see insulting or unprofessional remarks from the seller in response to feedback, I immediately move on to the next listing.

Finally, if the price is way too low for no good reason, big red flag.

Just a few tips from my perusals of the site.
Old 12-17-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also avoid sellers from Asia.

And leave a negative feedback for him. If he reponds with a negative for you, just reply to it with something along the lines of "retaliatory feedback from a seller of bootlegs, has been reported to half.com".
Old 12-17-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
The title in question was "Starter for 10". I can't find it anywhere for less than $19.99 retail so I turned to Half.com I believe I paid $12.99 plus $2.50 for shipping. The cellophane was not the same as the one's in the store. Red flag one. The plastic cover had marks all over it one I removed the cellophane. Red flag two. The art work on the DVD has streaks where the colors is missing. Um, yeah. Final red flag. I contacted the seller and told him I was giving he/she the benefit of the doubt. I know most of these people get these DVDs from distributors. He responded right away and offered me a refund. I said yes, and thank you. I'm so tired of these crooks.
Old 12-17-07, 11:38 PM

Ray Charles The Streak Live
Old 12-18-07, 08:12 AM

if your buying an asian movie from ebay or half, and its really really cheap. chances are, its a bootleg or DVD-R.
Old 12-18-07, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I've had the worst luck buying DVD's off Half.com They've all be advertised at "Brand New Region 1" and almost everyone one of them have been bootlegs/copies. Has anyone else had the same problem?
The sad part is people like this that ruin it for the honest people on half.com and ebay