Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why don't I have a comfort level with Circuit City?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll be picking up a new plasma set within a few weeks, and I noticed that Circuit City has no interest on Panasonics for three years.

Nice price on the set, and nice deal.

My concern is that CC is going to go the way of Fretters, Highland, etc, as in another superstore that goes bellyup. Which is really only a problem if I buy an extended warranty, which I'm guessing is a good idea on a fairly major purchase like a plasma.

The CC's by me always seem like ghost towns, and I'd be pissed if I bought an extended warranty and the store went out of business. Places like Best Buy (like 'em or not) generally appear busy, which makes me think business-wise they're stronger than CC.

Or am I worrying about nothing?
Old 11-16-07, 03:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Extended warranty is pretty much never a good idea, although typically when these companies go under they sell those warranties to another firm.
Old 11-16-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Extended warranty is pretty much never a good idea
99% of the time I'd be in agreement. But I thought the general consensus on HD sets was that it was worthwhile.

Originally Posted by Groucho
although typically when these companies go under they sell those warranties to another firm.
I wasn't aware of that.
Old 11-16-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Generally, it's a good idea to get the extended warranty for big ticket item, depending on the cost and the length of the manufacturer's warranty. But always, always, always read the warranty yourself before signing it, and don't just go by what the guy selling it to you says.
Old 11-16-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can also get a Mack Extended Warranty, and that takes Circuit City out of the equation for service issues in the future after the manufacturer's warranty expires. I got a 4-year Mack warranty for about $120 on my 50" plasma.
Old 11-16-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My credit card provider always doubles up the manufacturer's warranty-good enough for me.
Old 11-16-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Circuit City isn't going to be closing its doors for awhile. I think they sell more display devices than Best Buy.
Old 11-17-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
My credit card provider always doubles up the manufacturer's warranty-good enough for me.
iirc, all mastercards do so. most "platinum" other cards as well. not too sure about discover or amex though. and only up to a certain length of time (1 or 2 years maybe?).

thats why its called the fine print!
Old 11-18-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
I'm not going to get into the debate over whether or not the warranty is a good idea, but CC's extended warranty's are through a third party anyway so even if the company goes under you're warranty will still be good.
Old 11-18-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as that third party company doesn't go under. At least if CC goes under, you'll know about it. Some company you've never heard of goes under and you won't know until you need to call them up for service.
Old 11-18-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Only time I have ever gotten a service plan was several years ago on a dvd player that I got from Sam Goody. Only reason I got it was because it was only 10 buck for 2 years. This was right after Sam Goody was bought by Best Buy. It was a Product Replacement Plan, not a Product Service Plan. Main difference being that they didnt try to fix the unit, just gave me what I paid for it back as a gift card. I would do a plan like that again, but not a service plan where they actually try to fix the item.

As far as Circuit City goes, I f.ing hate them. The store near me is absolute shit. They never have the stuff that is advertised in their circular. Their dvd section is a f.ing mess, seems like they never alphabetize. The workers there either never want to help you, or dont know anything. They never have registers open, everyone has to wait in line at customer service where they inevitably have one ergister open and two lazy fucks standing around chitchatting. I always seem to get behind soem guy doing about 50 returns. Their website doesnt offer instore pickup on dvd's, so if they have a monster sale on something its like trying to find a needle in a fucking haystack. The only time I buy anythign from them is if it is on sale for lower than anyone else has it, even then its a crapshoot if they actually have it. Personally i would much rather, and feel more comfortable doing so, shop at Best Buy. Their store at elast is not a shithole, stuff seems for the most part organized, they offer instore pickup on dvd's, have a frequent shoppers program. They too have some mindless drones workign there, but they at least seem to approach you to offer help. Sometimes too much.
I guess its fairly evident that I absolutely hate circuit city.

Last edited by jjcool; 11-18-07 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Circuit City isn't going to be closing its doors for awhile. I think they sell more display devices than Best Buy.
Yeah, if CC closing is your concern i wouldn't really worry. I don't think that'll happen in 3 years.
Old 11-19-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't CC opening up 65 new stores soon?
Old 11-19-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Isn't CC opening up 65 new stores soon?

After closing like 500. (This number is obviously exaggerated or is it?)
Old 11-19-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've often wondered how the CC near me stays open.

Mediocre help, mediocre selection, prices that are higher than BB, filing system that is terrible. And that is the movie/music section.

The last time I was in there to buy something non-music/DVD related my GF and I waited 15 min for assistance and simply left. To this day she refuses to even shop there.