Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Reports Huge 2nd Quarter Losses

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe their recent anti-consumer practices are finally affecting their profits.

Circuit City Has Loss on Lower Prices; Shares Fall

Sept. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Circuit City Stores Inc., the second-largest U.S. consumer-electronics chain, reported a wider loss than analysts estimated after it failed to lure customers with lower prices on flat-panel televisions and computers. The shares had their biggest decline in more than five years.

The loss was $62.8 million, or 38 cents a share, for the second quarter ended Aug. 31, compared with net income of $10 million, or 6 cents a share, a year earlier. Sales dropped 6.2 percent to $2.64 billion, the retailer said today in a statement, also trailing estimates.

``The quarter was horrendous,'' said Colin McGranahan, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein in New York. ``It's hard to lose that much money without just about everything going wrong.'' He doesn't own the shares.

Analysts estimated a loss of 12 cents, the average of 22 projections compiled by Bloomberg, while 15 predicted revenue of $2.79 billion.

Circuit City is losing market share to larger rival Best Buy Co., which reported this week profit that topped analysts' estimates and increased its annual forecast on computer and international sales. Circuit City cut 10 percent of its U.S. workforce this year, including 3,400 store employees who were replaced with people willing to work for less.

``We expected the changes to be disruptive in the near term, but necessary to deliver long-term profitable growth,'' Philip Schoonover, the retailer's chief executive officer, said in the statement.

Shares Fall

Circuit City fell $1.90 to $8.67, the lowest in more than four years, at 4:07 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The 18 percent drop was the biggest since February 2002. It slumped 54 percent this year. Today, Best Buy lost 2.2 percent to $46.44 and is down 5.6 percent in 2007.

The company expects a loss for the full year and predicts the third-quarter loss will narrow from the second period. Circuit City forecast cost savings of $150 million from selling, general and administrative expenses this year. That will rise to $200 million next year.

The retailer will evaluate any new acquisition offers. The company turned down two buyout proposals from private-equity groups, saying the offers were inadequate.

Circuit City said it will consider slowing the pace of store openings and evaluate its real estate holdings.

Same-Store Sales

Sales at stores open at least a year fell 7.9 percent in the quarter. Retailers use same-store sales to measure the health of older locations.

Circuit City is facing increased competition from Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's biggest retailer, which has devoted more store space to flat-panel TVs. This was Circuit City's fourth straight quarterly loss.

``Their entire TV category was down double digits,'' McGranahan said. ``They may not have been promotional enough given how much they lost in market share to Best Buy.'' McGranahan rates Circuit City ``market perform.''

In June, the Richmond, Virginia-based retailer said financial results for the ``near term'' would be volatile and withdrew its annual forecast. Circuit City is struggling to compete with Best Buy, which has more stores in prime locations and higher customer service ratings.
Old 09-24-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 09-24-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Couldn't have happened to a worse organization.
Old 09-24-07, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I know this forum hates CC due to recent legal issues, but really they're an all-around incompetent organization.

Walk into any CC in the country and I guarantee you'll see two things:
1) 30+ associates picking their noses on the sales floor.
2) Nobody manning the checkout stand, meaning all sales have to go through customer service. Just want to pop in and out for a DVD? Sorry, got to wait for Granny McGripesalot to return a VCR or somesuch.

Last time I went in there it was to buy something in their ad. The ad breaks on Sunday. I was in there the following Friday. It still wasn't in their system.

And it's been like this for years.
Old 09-24-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the truth. I don't know why they have so many employees just mingling around and only have 1 register open.
Old 09-24-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matrixrok9
That's the truth. I don't know why they have so many employees just mingling around and only have 1 register open.
That's my biggest gripe as well.

Well, that and their dumping of all of their sale DVDs into rickety cardboard bins.
Old 09-24-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Haven't been in awhile, but the last time I did was to find the new Home Alone. It wasn't in comedy, or family. It was however in horror / suspense.

The time before that I was in the market for a new receiver. I was looking at one and this salesman started talking up another (incidentally, the price was only like $30 more). I figured I'd give a try and he said "well, it's not in stock right now".
Old 09-24-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I just noticed over the weekend they are opening a new store near me. The building is already there, it is gutted with a CC coming soon banner on the front.
Old 09-24-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I know this forum hates CC due to recent legal issues, but really they're an all-around incompetent organization.

Walk into any CC in the country and I guarantee you'll see two things:
1) 30+ associates picking their noses on the sales floor.
2) Nobody manning the checkout stand, meaning all sales have to go through customer service. Just want to pop in and out for a DVD? Sorry, got to wait for Granny McGripesalot to return a VCR or somesuch.

Last time I went in there it was to buy something in their ad. The ad breaks on Sunday. I was in there the following Friday. It still wasn't in their system.

And it's been like this for years.
Yeah, I don't particularly like CC either, but not because of the stupid receipt conspiracy. The big layoffs because employees were paid too much sealed the deal for me. Haven't been to a CC since. Then they hire pimple-popping teens who wouldn't know a composite from a component connection, but still manage to talk to their buds on their micro-sized cell phones, and yes, mining for boogers and finding a motherload.
Old 09-24-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess the CompUSA merger is only a matter of time. Talk about the two most inept organizations on the planet joining forces.
Old 09-24-07, 08:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Yep, that they have managed to stay in business this long is a mystery to me.

But competition is good, and I hope they stay in business, if only to help keep prices down at BB and WM.
Old 09-25-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CC is a fine store to shop at....

...if you like being told nothing is in stock or enjoy searching through the most poorly setup DVD/CD section ever.

My anti-CC stories include:

Me and the GF were there to buy a memory card for her parents camera. After spending more time that we should have discussing which card to get and waiting for someone to help us (the deal on the memory stick was pretty good) we simply walked out and bought a (smaller) memory stick at Target. And this happened before they fired their highly paid employees!

Then there is still the fact that the DVD/CD department is counter intuitive and most of the time their prices are higher than BB. All this is assuming I can even find what I'm looking for, and even then there is a slim change they have it.

I just save myself the frustration and shop at BB.
Old 09-25-07, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
That's my biggest gripe as well.

Well, that and their dumping of all of their sale DVDs into rickety cardboard bins.
Don't forget the not having said sale DVDs in stock.
Old 09-25-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wewantflair
I guess the CompUSA merger is only a matter of time. Talk about the two most inept organizations on the planet joining forces.
I think that distinction is currently held by Sears/Kmart, but CompUSA/CC would definitely take over if they merge.
Old 09-25-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I used to go out of my way to shop at CC over BB. Last time in CC, nobody to be found, I have to go get the number off the piece of equipment I wanted to purchase, bring it back up to the front counter only to be told it is out of stock. Waste of time.
Old 09-25-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
GOOD. CC is practically as bad as Gamestop IMO.