Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Positive Comments about Best Buy, Amazon, DeepDiscount and Dvd Planet

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-02-06, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems as though looking at the threads that most people only complain about these sites or comment when they have sales or pricing errors. Why are there no positive threads about these companies? Just curious to hear your thoughts?
Old 06-02-06, 12:09 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because human nature is such that people are more likely to report the bad experiences and keep the good ones to themselves.

Are there all that many bad comments about DVD Planet?
Old 06-02-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
And now here's someone complaining about the complaints!

Just kidding...

Like mbs said, negative experiences are more likely to be shared than positive, whether in person or online. Plus, with a negative experience, there's so much that could go wrong, so there's variety--price errors, double charges, rude CS, lost packages, damaged packages, etc.--a positive experience post would pretty much always be "I ordered my stuff, I was charged the right price, and I received it safely/quickly."
Old 06-02-06, 02:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, people are busy and aren't going to take the time to post a thread saying that "store X did a wonderful job on this purchase."

But are much more apt to post a thread when they are pissed off about getting ripped off or getting poor customer service.
Old 06-02-06, 02:18 PM

I see this forum as more of a "consumer alert" kind of thing.

Who the hell would want to read about someone's happy experiences while shopping? That should be the norm when dealing with these people.
Old 06-02-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 158 Likes on 85 Posts
The reason is simple. When you buy something from a store, whether online or in person, there are certain expectations you expect to be met. You expect to receive the item in question in a reasonable amount of time. You expect to be charged the agreed upon price. You expect the item to be in new condition. Etc., etc., etc. The purpose of things like the store forum here at DVDTalk are to make note of when companies do not meet those expectations, so that others know to possibly expect the same. The reason that they're all negative is that when a company does something abnormal, it's almost always to the customer's detriment. How often do you hear of a cashier at Best Buy saying 'Oh, you're using a 10% off coupon? Why don't you use 2, even though the coupon says you can only use one?' Instead, you might reasonably hear 'You can't use this coupon on this movie because it's spread over 2 discs and that's a boxset.'
Old 06-02-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
IMHO, DVDPlanet is a great site with competitive prices, coupons and a customer rewards program. I've even had good experiences with their customer service dept when returning defective DVDs.
Old 06-02-06, 07:13 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
when you are buying from dvdplanet you are essentially getting the same service as ddd as they probably use same shipping, wherehouse, and customer service. The dvdplanet site is another brand of infinity which own both.
Old 06-02-06, 10:31 PM

Well, Amazon has done me well -- went to checkout to get in on the Patton/Longest Day deal for around $8 each and they offered me a trial Prime. I took them up on it, but my stuff looked like it was going to arrive next week Monday if I was lucky, being shipped out Wed. Even their shipping e-mail was saying as late as June 14. I was not happy BUT, surprise, today I come home and what do I see -- my Amazon pkgs.

I am extremely happy !!!
Old 06-03-06, 07:31 AM
LiK

BB - no problkems other than lack of certain DVDs and games when other places have them. found some good sales/deals and purchases there have been smooth. i also like the bonus items for reward zone members like lithographs and dolls. free stuff is good.

Amazon - no problems whatsoever. items are packed really well, lots of sales and free shipping works. they also have a nice selection of dvds and games that are sold out elsewhere sometimes.

i use BB and Amazon quite often and never had any major problems so i'm one of the satisfied customers with them. some people tell me the worst horror stories about them but i've never experienced them, knock on wood.

never used the other stores in your list.
Old 06-03-06, 10:41 AM

Every order I've done from DDD has gone well. I strongly recommend paying the extra few dollars for expedited shipping though, especially when you're ordering several hundred dollars in a single order. Definitely speeds up the turnaround time to get the DVDs out to soCal by a siginificant amount. Never had to deal with customer service but haven't heard much bad about them.

Ordered from Best Buy a ton as well. Especially when they were doing the McDonalds promotion with Best Buy Bucks and I ordered a couple thousand in DVDs and other merchandise using only the coupons. Didn't pay shipping either since they have in-store pick-up, love it. Also have had good experience with Best Buy in that I can see which stores have the product in before I order with in-store pick-up. Their customer service can be difficult, however. I've had items go on backorder after paying for them and had to make several calls just to get my card refunded. Worked out in the end though.
Old 06-03-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DDD is awesome all the time. Sure, their slow FREE shipping is a pain in the butt, but they have cheap prices and always have sales.

Amazon is great when they have good prices on the DVDs, especially with the free trial of Amazon Prime.
Old 06-03-06, 12:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DeepDiscountDvd would be my favourite from the list as well.

They're prices are simply the most competitve on the web.

Even though it's not on the list i would higly recommend Dvd Pacific too.
Old 06-03-06, 01:12 PM

here is an experience that is an example of bad customers. O work at best buy, and one of the supervisors asks me to go up to a customer and ask him we could help him. he did not respond to previous 6 sales people because they were not white, and I was. I go up to him he goes, "you are all fucking idiots, and can go fuck yourselves" and gives me the merchandise he was going to buy. We could'nt stop laughing at his tupiodity for like 10 minutes. Doesnt best buy just rule? I love doing that to customers"
Old 06-03-06, 01:28 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by amd555
We could'nt stop laughing at his tupiodity for like 10 minutes.
This sentence is awesome.
Old 06-03-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts
Last summer I ordered four DVDs from DVDEmpire, and they boxed them up and sent them to me. They fucking rock! The DVDs were brand new, still in the shrinkwrap, and they sent the right ones, too! Coolest thing ever.
Old 06-03-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 104 Posts
Another thumbs up to DVD Empire-they probably have had the fewest complaints of any major e-tailer on this forum.
Old 06-03-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by amd555
here is an experience that is an example of bad customers. O work at best buy, and one of the supervisors asks me to go up to a customer and ask him we could help him. he did not respond to previous 6 sales people because they were not white, and I was. I go up to him he goes, "you are all fucking idiots, and can go fuck yourselves" and gives me the merchandise he was going to buy. We could'nt stop laughing at his tupiodity for like 10 minutes. Doesnt best buy just rule? I love doing that to customers"
Anyone want to attempt to translate?
Old 06-04-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Another thumbs up to DVD Empire-they probably have had the fewest complaints of any major e-tailer on this forum.
DVDEmpire
Old 06-04-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have never had a single thing go wrong with an order at DVDEmpire. They are really a good store. Amazon messes up from time to time, but they are always really fast to fix the problem so they are on my good list too. I also like that both of them let you make changes to your orders up until the time they go into the shipping process. That saves a lot of headaches.
Old 06-05-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've never had a problem with DDD they didn't fix quickly. Also never had any issue with Best Buy (aside from their Enterprise $45 mix-up), and enjoy shopping there. DVDEmpire is also a great place with fast shipping. I really don't have too many complaints.. many more fine shopping experiences compared to bad ones.
Old 06-06-06, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Argentoholic
I see this forum as more of a "consumer alert" kind of thing.

Who the hell would want to read about someone's happy experiences while shopping? That should be the norm when dealing with these people.

True , but why do you read consumer reports or movie reviews?
Old 06-06-06, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
The reason is simple. When you buy something from a store, whether online or in person, there are certain expectations you expect to be met. You expect to receive the item in question in a reasonable amount of time. You expect to be charged the agreed upon price. You expect the item to be in new condition. Etc., etc., etc. The purpose of things like the store forum here at DVDTalk are to make note of when companies do not meet those expectations, so that others know to possibly expect the same. The reason that they're all negative is that when a company does something abnormal, it's almost always to the customer's detriment. How often do you hear of a cashier at Best Buy saying 'Oh, you're using a 10% off coupon? Why don't you use 2, even though the coupon says you can only use one?' Instead, you might reasonably hear 'You can't use this coupon on this movie because it's spread over 2 discs and that's a boxset.'
There is also a purpose to say good things also. Some people look at postive reviews also. Would you actually be made if a cashier didn't break the rules for you?
Old 06-07-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 158 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by jackson2006
There is also a purpose to say good things also. Some people look at postive reviews also. Would you actually be made if a cashier didn't break the rules for you?
Of course I wouldn't get mad, that was my original point. I expect any store I do business with to adhere to certain standards during a transaction. No one's going to get on here and post a list of every place that they bought something and say 'Yep, all of these places gave me exactly what I expected.' People post when a store does something unexpected, i.e. not in line with its own policies. 99% of the time a store does something like this, it's bad for the customer. That's why most of the comments about individual transactions are negative.
Old 06-10-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had a single problem at DDD or Amazon....DDD orders always arive within a week - but it probably helps that i'm in Michigan.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.