Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount Price Jumps?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deep Discount Price Jumps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't and probably will not buy anything during this sale, and its sad, because I was in a mood to buy DVD's, but nothing there was even a good price, so I spent time spending money on CH's site and bought a bunch. I wonder how much business DD has lost from their former loyal customers. You think they would make more keeping their prices lower/having people order a lot, as opposed to raising everything somewhat/losing a substantial amount of orders.(This only applies to the people on this forum or who hunt for deals, not everyday people who don't care about prices). But I don't really know much, just a business major.
Old 11-11-07, 02:19 PM

In the past, DD did not "raise their prices" before the 20% sale. They let other specials expire so that they weren't running a sale on top of a sale, and they decided to no longer match competitors' prices on a few items during the sale for the same reason. But their pre-20% price was their standard retail price on an item and it was the same before, during and after the sale.

This time, DD did raise their prices on a lot of items a couple of months before the sale. Catalogue titles with an MSRP of $14.99, which used to sell for around $9.50-10 (and almost always sell at $9.99 at BB, CC and other B&M outlets), went up to close to $11. Catalogue titles with an MSRP of $19.99, which used to sell around $14 (and $14.99 at BB and CC), are now $15.50-16. That's a price raise in the neighborhood of 10%, and it puts DD prices well above DVD Planet prices on a lot of items.

This occurred a couple of months ago, and I don't think it's in response to the sale. If it is, and the prices go down to their old levels after the sale, that tells me something about their practices. If they stay at the higher levels, it tells me that they are looking to price themselves more closely to Amazon.

In either way, I'm not pleased.
Old 11-12-07, 02:25 PM
Banned

Holy shit. Stargate:SG-1 The complete 10th season just increased by $5.00. I was gonna get this tomorrow...Not anymore.
Old 11-19-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a list from November 2005. I'll post it later when I'm home if needed. I was too lazy to look up everything, but the first 25 items have gone up an average of 2% since 11/05, 1% since the last sale. So it's gone up, but still a pretty good deal IMO. I can find specific items that have gone up more, but I can also find specific items that have gone down quite a bit.
Old 12-11-07, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza
I also hate it when they mark previously released titles as pre-orders. It would also be nice if they could make titles that will see release during the sale but at a later date available for pre-order with the discount.
I waited until the pre-order date expired (the sale was still on) and to my surprise, they did not raise the price. I ordered and they actually shipped.

Danger Man/Secret Agent Man 18 disc set for $60.77 - 20% = $48.62.

It even had a $114.99 Best Buy sticker on it!

Consider my complaint withdrawn.
Old 11-03-08, 03:47 PM
Banned

Holy Shit! The price of Smashing Pumpkins- "If all goes Wrong" just went up like $6. I was gonna pick up two copies. 1 for me and 1 for a friend but this is not cool of them increasing the price like this.
Old 11-05-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Holy Shit! The price of Smashing Pumpkins- "If all goes Wrong" just went up like $6. I was gonna pick up two copies. 1 for me and 1 for a friend but this is not cool of them increasing the price like this.
I think one of my CSI sets just went up $4. I'll need to check my screen cap when I get home to make sure.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 11-05-08 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-09-08, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by teyoung
Danger Man/Secret Agent Man 18 disc set for $60.77 - 20% = $48.62. It even had a $114.99 Best Buy sticker on it!
That's a fabulous price and a brilliant show!

I wish I had found my copy that cheaply.