Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City complaint against ads posted in DVD Bargain Forum: Part II

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Circuit City complaint against ads posted in DVD Bargain Forum: Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, CCity is concerned first, foremost and primarily with the PS3 price reduction, and not the oodles of everything else Speedy has posted?

As I'm sure everyone knows, that wasn't just a CCity reduction. That came from Sony and was at every retailer - right?

I guess CCity is upset that people who found out about the upcoming reduction in price knew to wait to buy rather than buy at the higher price.

I work at a newspaper and could get ads before they come out. Not CCity's since my paper doesn't carry them. I wonder if a store like BBuy would come after me too if I did that...
Old 08-29-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JLBkret
Well if it were 'legal' would Speedy still be in trouble? It is obvious he was obtaining sales flyers from an inside source and posting them here and elsewhere, I know I am not a lawyer but when someone files a lawsuit against you chances are you are doing something illegal until proven otherwise.
Wow. Ever hear of the phrase "Innocent until proven guilty"? I'm not a lawyer either.
Old 08-29-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just been giving this a thought. It seems CC/Sony could be going after Speedy for coming between their little agreement. If the PS3 was advertised only at CC it seems the average consumer would go there for their purchase and not knowing it was a price reduction industry wide. CC would have profitted more when theirs was the only AD with this $100 "savings".
Old 08-29-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well if it were 'legal' would Speedy still be in trouble? It is obvious he was obtaining sales flyers from an inside source and posting them here and elsewhere, I know I am not a lawyer but when someone files a lawsuit against you chances are you are doing something illegal until proven otherwise.
Tomorrow I will be filing suit against you for defamation of Speedy's character.
Obviously, once I've filed the lawsuit you will agree that you are guilty, right?
Old 08-29-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well if it were 'legal' would Speedy still be in trouble? It is obvious he was obtaining sales flyers from an inside source and posting them here and elsewhere...

Sorry, JLBkret, i'm not at you. When I read this, I got the image of Speedy in a dark, grimey backalley, walking over to a trenchcoat-wearing greasy-haired fella. "You got the stuff?" he asks. "You got the cash?" is the response. "First lemme see the merchandise." He examines the ads and says "Man, I can't wait to post this so Circuit City will lose in excess of $15,000!"
Old 08-29-07, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Toad
If it's frivolous, then one would hope that Circuit City and its attorneys will be sanctioned.

Circuit Shitty and its sleazy lawyers have already been "sanctioned" by many of their FORMER customers who don't approve of the way our friend Speedy has been treated. In their barely surviving business model, they may not have enough profits (if any) to pay their lawyer types before we're done!
Old 08-29-07, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Tomorrow I will be filing suit against you for defamation of Speedy's character.
Obviously, once I've filed the lawsuit you will agree that you are guilty, right?

Let's make this a class action lawsuit against anyone who is defaming or slandering Speedy!
Old 08-29-07, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Just been giving this a thought. It seems CC/Sony could be going after Speedy for coming between their little agreement. If the PS3 was advertised only at CC it seems the average consumer would go there for their purchase and not knowing it was a price reduction industry wide. CC would have profitted more when theirs was the only AD with this $100 "savings".
Was that the case?

My thought was I'd like to see CCity* demonstrate how they were actually harmed by this. Have they attempted to do so?

* "Circuit Shitty" is just childish, folks.
Old 08-30-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Was that the case?
I've asked that question at least a couple of times previously and no one has answered it directly. My assumption is that this had to be an industry wide price drop because: #1 all the other merchants would be at a huge disadvantage and furious at Sony for taking sales away from their stores and #2 nowhere in their legal papers does CC state that their price advantage was a unique price, unmatched by other retailers.
Old 08-30-07, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would agree...minus your last three words. And "chances are" being defined as "more likely than not."
Old 08-30-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by oldchuckles
Circuit Shitty and its sleazy lawyers have already been "sanctioned" by many of their FORMER customers who don't approve of the way our friend Speedy has been treated. In their barely surviving business model, they may not have enough profits (if any) to pay their lawyer types before we're done!
I meant actually "sanctioned" (i.e., fines, etc.) by a court.

Regarding your "defamation" post, this Speedy guy has not been defamed. Filing a lawsuit does not = defamation (and, by the way, "slander," like libel, is a form of defamation. They aren't two different things). Plus, if Speedy did what is alleged in the suit, the old defense of "truth" will protect Circuit City from any ridiculous defamation claim.

Excuse my sleazy lawyering in trying to give you some edumacation on the law.
Old 08-30-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a lost cause.... The discussion has devolved sufficiently that it is now self-rationalization in the face of personal profit and juvenile expressions of bodily functions and swearing... How can you have rationale discourse with that?
Old 08-30-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you might be right. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm right, I just wish people had a better understanding of the law regarding this case. It would make it easier to make a more educated post as opposed to, as you said, resorting to bodily functions and swearing.
Old 08-30-07, 08:27 AM
Banned

All I am saying is that CC has a right to file the suit, especially since they lose money every time someone saw the ad bought the sale item before the sale and then got the 110% price match. As soon as this suit was filed speedy took off and has not been seen or heard from since so in my opinion that is the signs of a guilty man. Whether you like it or not it appears speedy was doing something wrong (or illegal) and he was caught. Now he has to pay the piper if he is found guilty.
Old 08-30-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I am saying is that CC has a right to file the suit, especially since they lose money every time someone saw the ad bought the sale item before the sale and then got the 110% price match. As soon as this suit was filed speedy took off and has not been seen or heard from since so in my opinion that is the signs of a guilty man. Whether you like it or not it appears speedy was doing something wrong (or illegal) and he was caught. Now he has to pay the piper if he is found guilty.
You really need to come down off of your high horse. I am so sick of you, and several others, thinking you are judge and jury.

Silence doesn't equal guilt. Under the law, you are allowed not to say anything at all. On top of that, Speedy is an individual, being sought by a large corporation, wanting him to pay compensation. One would assume that Speedy doesn't have the amount of money necessary to stand against Circuit City, nor to pay their compensation. I know I don't. So, guilty or not, if I had some large corporation after me, I would certainly not make my whereabouts known. That's not admitting guilt, it's protecting my assets.

Think before you speak (or, in this case, type).
Old 08-30-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
I've asked that question at least a couple of times previously and no one has answered it directly. My assumption is that this had to be an industry wide price drop because: #1 all the other merchants would be at a huge disadvantage and furious at Sony for taking sales away from their stores and #2 nowhere in their legal papers does CC state that their price advantage was a unique price, unmatched by other retailers.

It was an industry wide price drop, that wasn't just through Circuit City. Best Buy and Target both had the price drop advertised in that very same weeks ad. Circuit City is making it sound as if they were the only company offering the price drop, and they are not. They are really just grasping at straws.
Old 08-30-07, 09:34 AM
Banned

I will come down from my high horse when speedy comes back and explains exactly how he gets his info so early and who his sources are. I think before I type do you? Sounds like you act before you think, it's called having an opinion. You should try to have one sometime. It's perfectly fine you think speedy is innocent, there are others who know otherwise. In fact I think I will take a ride today to Circuit City in honor of you Madonnamans, I will smile when I give them my money and say "Madonna sucks".
Old 08-30-07, 09:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Silence doesn't equal guilt.
Old 08-30-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will come down from my high horse when speedy comes back and explains exactly how he gets his info so early and who his sources are. I think before I type do you? Sounds like you act before you think, it's called having an opinion. You should try to have one sometime. It's perfectly fine you think speedy is innocent, there are others who know otherwise. In fact I think I will take a ride today to Circuit City in honor of you Madonnamans, I will smile when I give them my money and say "Madonna sucks".
Speedy doesn't have to explain anything to you, or anyone else. Again, you aren't the jury or the judge. Quit acting as if Speedy owes ANYTHING to you. He doesn't.

As far as "acting before thinking", it's quite obvious who is doing that, and who isn't doing that, in this case. You are showing that you are quite immature. You just go to Circuit City, and tell them that "Madonna sucks". They will probably look at you like an idiot. And yes, I have an opinion, which is that you are being childish. How's that for an opinion? You want to be childish? I'll play that game.

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 08-30-07 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-30-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude I don't think you should've taken the bait by calling him an idiot. It's always the second guy who gets caught...
Old 08-30-07, 12:55 PM

;
Regarding your "defamation" post, this Speedy guy has not been defamed.

Please go back and read MY post - the one that mentioned defaming speedy's character - in its original context. You will find your understanding of its intent radically changed.
Old 08-30-07, 01:03 PM

All I am saying is that CC has a right to file the suit, especially since they lose money every time someone saw the ad bought the sale item before the sale and then got the 110% price match.
Circuit City's policy is only 100% pricematches when matching their own prices. If anything, Speedy saved them money because they did not have to carry the units on their books for an extra week or two.

Q: Will Circuit City match its own prices?
A: Yes, if you purchase an item from us (in-store or on circuitcity.com) and we advertise the same item at a lower price within thirty days of your purchase, we will refund you 100% of the price difference. Bring the advertisement and your original sales receipt to your local Circuit City for the refund.

Price Protection & Unbeatable Price Guarantee
Old 08-30-07, 02:06 PM

Circuit City's policy is only 100% pricematches when matching their own prices. If anything, Speedy saved them money because they did not have to carry the units on their books for an extra week or two.

Some folks don't know what they're talking about! Speedy is innocent and that's all many of us with common sense clearly understand. It is clearly the lawyer types who twist the law around to please their corporate masters who cause all the problems in society!

Last edited by oldchuckles; 08-30-07 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by wlmowery
It's a lost cause.... The discussion has devolved sufficiently that it is now self-rationalization in the face of personal profit and juvenile expressions of bodily functions and swearing... How can you have rationale discourse with that?

A large corporation going after a saint like Speedy who saved many of us tons of cash with his posts over two years is what is NOT RATIONAL!.

As for expressions of bodily functions, Geoff Kleinman, the owner of this site, has wisely provided DVDTalkers the means to state our feelings poetically, therefore, until Circuit Shitty drops its manhunt of Speedy, some of us will continue to express our opinions honestly (without all the legal mumbo jumbo)!

Last edited by oldchuckles; 08-30-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please go back and read MY post - the one that mentioned defaming speedy's character - in its original context. You will find your understanding of its intent radically changed.
I have no idea what you're talking about, I was responding to a post by oldchuckles, chief.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.