Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City complaint against ads posted in DVD Bargain Forum: Part II

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the first thread has been closed, due to length, I'm starting part II.

Here is the link to the first thread, in case anyone needs a refresher on what has happened.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....1&page=1&pp=25

I'm glad to see that DVDTalk.com has good representation, and I hope that this issue will be resolved, without anyone being punished.

By the way, I really miss Speedy. Even if he weren't to post the ads, anymore, I would love for him to come back. I understand why he can't do that, at least at this time. However, I do miss seeing him on the boards, and his rocking little smilie!

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 08-26-07 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gkleinman
"We're formally legally represented by the Electronic Frontier Foundation http://www.EFF.org and they've responded to the subpoena on our behalf."

A perfect choice for this matter. Sounds ideal.
Old 08-26-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I didn't realize how far the matter had gotten, reading the actual documents to and from CAG was cool. It seems really odd reading a legal doc referring to Speedy1961 and talking about the threads.
Old 08-26-07, 11:45 PM

DVDTalk is to be commended for protecting the privacy of Speedy's personal registration information on this site. I am pleased to read that the Electronic Freedom Foundation is representing DVDTalk (and the membership) in this case.

Speedy is a dear friend to many of us on this forum. He is no more guilty of wrong-doing than any one of us who profited from his money-saving posts during the last two years!

If Speedy is guilty of anything, then we are all guilty of something! But what is it? If Circuit Shitty didn't like the free advertising (and increased sales) it was receiving from Speedy's posts, why did it wait for nearly two years to complain (litigate) regarding these posts? Personally, until Circuit Shitty stops this vindictive madness against Speedy, I will never again shop in their stores.

Last edited by oldchuckles; 08-27-07 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-27-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm very glad to see that the EFF is now involved and I suggest that anyone else who cares about the outcome of this situation, or freedom of expression online in general, make a donation.

Here's their wikipedia entry for people interested in their history - they predate the web:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...ier_Foundation
Old 08-27-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The "Circuit Shitty" thing is getting old.

Last edited by Toad; 08-27-07 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starman9000
Wow, I didn't realize how far the matter had gotten, reading the actual documents to and from CAG was cool. It seems really odd reading a legal doc referring to Speedy1961 and talking about the threads.
I can't for the life of me track down this info at http://www.EFF.org - could you please provide a direct link?
Old 08-27-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
I can't for the life of me track down this info at http://www.EFF.org - could you please provide a direct link?
The documents are not at EFF.org's site.

Check page 17 of the previous thread, and you shall find the links to the documents.
Old 08-27-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
The documents are not at EFF.org's site.

Check page 17 of the previous thread, and you shall find the links to the documents.
Here is the cheapassgamer CC Doc: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=403

-p
Old 08-27-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might I make a suggestion thread number 1 should archived.
Old 08-27-07, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Toad

Don't read about it then. Easy, right? There are plenty of other threads....
Old 08-27-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hats off to Geoff for getting the EFF involved.
Old 08-28-07, 03:43 AM

Would you prefer, "Circus Shitty" , instead?

Speedy, we are thinking of you, buddy! Keep the faith!
Old 08-28-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
Don't read about it then. Easy, right? There are plenty of other threads....
No, I'll keep reading the thread. I'll just have to skip over the inane "Circuit Shitty" references.
Old 08-28-07, 05:14 PM

No, I'll keep reading the thread. I'll just have to skip over the inane "Circuit Shitty" references.

The whole thread is a "Circuit Shitty" reference
Old 08-29-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, the thread is about Circuit City.
Old 08-29-07, 08:23 AM
Banned

I still shop at Circuit City, not too often but I was there this past Sunday for their newest sale. Amazingly I found everything I wanted, it took some searching and the red shirts were useless but I did get what I wanted. No matter how long this thread keeps going there are going to be people against CC and for them. Speedy was doing something illegal and he was caught. Now it appears he is back under a new name doing the same thing only not including CC this time around. I think the owners of this site should consider whether to let him continue this or not, it is justing looking for another store to complain/file suit against the website and speedy.
Old 08-29-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JLBkret
I still shop at Circuit City, not too often but I was there this past Sunday for their newest sale. Amazingly I found everything I wanted, it took some searching and the red shirts were useless but I did get what I wanted. No matter how long this thread keeps going there are going to be people against CC and for them. Speedy was doing something illegal and he was caught. Now it appears he is back under a new name doing the same thing only not including CC this time around. I think the owners of this site should consider whether to let him continue this or not, it is justing looking for another store to complain/file suit against the website and speedy.
How do you know thats him? The posts aren't coming in as fast and they don't include everything Speedy included.
Old 08-29-07, 09:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
It's not Speedy. And we haven't determined that he was doing anything illegal.
Old 08-29-07, 01:51 PM

You claim "Speedy was doing something illegal." Please share your wisdom and explain to the rest of us what was illegal (specfically).
Old 08-29-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plenty of us discussed this in the now-closed first part of this thread, oldchuckles.

"Illegal" might be a poor word, though.
Old 08-29-07, 03:40 PM
Banned

Well if it were 'legal' would Speedy still be in trouble? It is obvious he was obtaining sales flyers from an inside source and posting them here and elsewhere, I know I am not a lawyer but when someone files a lawsuit against you chances are you are doing something illegal until proven otherwise.
Old 08-29-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's not necessarily true. Civil lawsuits don't always deal with "illegal" acts.
Old 08-29-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if it were 'legal' would Speedy still be in trouble? It is obvious he was obtaining sales flyers from an inside source and posting them here and elsewhere, I know I am not a lawyer but when someone files a lawsuit against you chances are you are doing something illegal until proven otherwise.
There's no proof yet that any laws were violated. If he received an early edition of the newstand circulars and he's not a CC employee, then he'll likely be innocent of any criminal act. Once these ads are in the distribution pipeline (which begin weeks ahead of sale dates), then no non-disclosure laws could apply because too many people can get their hands on them. There are tons of frivolous lawsuits filed and if you're not aware of that yet, then you'll become more aware of it as you get older.
Old 08-29-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's frivolous, then one would hope that Circuit City and its attorneys will be sanctioned.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.