Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I told her what happened she said Amazon cannot charge you a second time like they did
I did not get in on this deal. But this has been my opinion all along. Retailers are bound by strict agreements. Amazon pulled a good bluff. I cant blame them for that. File the chargeback. I bet you will win.
Old 02-28-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by alk3hol
I disputed the charges for my 3 orders the day they posted and my bank reversed them at least temporarily while they investigate. Today I get 3 letters from a collection agency demanding payment plus $20 for each order!

Has anyone else received letters from a collection agency (edit: obviously regarding the unauthorized Amazon.com charges)?
I didn't take part in this deal, but have read the 2,745,331 different posts (I didn't actually count, it only seemed as if there were that many!)

If you received a collection agency notice like the one reported, what would be your response?

A. Finally give in and pay
B. Refuse to pay while continuing to dispute
C. Other

I'm just curious -- initiating chargebacks is easy compared to the mess of clearing your credit/dealing with a collection agency -- my experience based on working in the credit industry years ago.
Old 02-28-07, 01:02 AM

I am disputing and refusing to pay.
Old 02-28-07, 12:07 PM

The credit card I used offically expired today..
And I still haven't been charged. Im hoping that with my card dead, they find that they can't .. even though my new card has the same number, it just moves the exp date forward
Old 02-28-07, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by nz-kiwiman
The credit card I used offically expired today..
And I still haven't been charged. Im hoping that with my card dead, they find that they can't .. even though my new card has the same number, it just moves the exp date forward

Hello!

Don't even think that that will save you from being charged.
The same thing happened to me: card expired (Amex),
new card and same number, just a new exp. date and guess what happened.....
I got charged on the new card. I find that quite amazing,
if I try to charge that "old" card with any shop I can't (obviously) but Amazon is still able to charge me on the old card,
even though I never entered the updated data from the new card.
I just disputed the charge and got my money back 3 days later.
So, don't get your hopes up to high...
kind regards
Warrior

Last edited by Warrior; 03-01-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-28-07, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
Well, the refunds from Amazon CS for the additional charges have shown up on my credit card. So this saga is over for me, and I never had to dispute the charges with my credit card company. Also, now I can finally open the DVD's... I'm outta here.

Ditto for me too!
Old 02-28-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Warrior
Hello!

Don't even think that that will save you from being charged.
The same thing happened to me; card expired (Amex),
new card and same number, just a new exp. date and guess what happened.....
I got charged on the new (same) card. I find that quite amazing,
if I try to charge that "old" card with any shop I can't (obviously) but Amazon is still able to charge me on the old card,
even though I never entered the updated data from the new card.
I just disputed the charge and got my money back 3 days later.
Same exact thing here. Received a charge on my updated card via the expired card on file at Amazon.com.
Old 03-01-07, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by flix1
Same exact thing here. Received a charge on my updated card via the expired card on file at Amazon.com.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of card was it? I've heard rumors that Amex did this (which the other poster apparently confirmed is true). I didn't know if any other cc issuers also did this.

I guess Amex probably advertises it as some kind of convenience... that even if you forget to update part of your cc info, they'll still approve the charges and just apply it to your current account. I view it as a big security problem. If any merchant tries to run a transaction with my outdated information, I would want them to automatically decline the charges.
Old 03-01-07, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by StealthStratos
Just out of curiosity, what kind of card was it? I've heard rumors that Amex did this (which the other poster apparently confirmed is true). I didn't know if any other cc issuers also did this.

I guess Amex probably advertises it as some kind of convenience... that even if you forget to update part of your cc info, they'll still approve the charges and just apply it to your current account.

I view it as a big security problem. If any merchant tries to run a transaction with my outdated information, I would want them to automatically decline the charges.

That's the exact same thing I would expect to happen, that if a card expires any further charges to it would be declined...
I guess I was wrong thinking so....furthermore,
I find it quite disturbing that I am not protected from charges to an expired card, I don't take that as "service" but as "no service".
I too would like to know if other cc issuers follow the same path or is it just Amex?
If so I would use my Visa from now on...

Warrior
Old 03-01-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to the folks who are getting the credit from amazon (without disputing w/ cc) what exactly did your email to amazon cs consist of? i tried to search the thread for it but alas it has grown too long. i guess i would rather go this route than to dispute if at all possible. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by dollfins1; 03-02-07 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-01-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts
I had that happen on my Visa for an unrelated issue, so it's not just Amex. For me it actually was a convenience since my card had expired I hadn't updated the accounts that automatically charged to it.
Old 03-01-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by StealthStratos

I guess Amex probably advertises it as some kind of convenience... that even if you forget to update part of your cc info, they'll still approve the charges and just apply it to your current account. I view it as a big security problem. If any merchant tries to run a transaction with my outdated information, I would want them to automatically decline the charges.
Yes, it was an AMEX.
Old 03-02-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Response from Chase on Disputed Charges

I received a response from Chase in the mail today in regards to my formal dispute of the Charges from Amazon on my three orders. Here is their response:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your credit card account.

We are writing concerning your dispute regarding a $29.99, $31.99 and $53.99 charges from Amazon.com. This charge posted to your account on February 13, 2007.

The disputed charge is for a product or service that you authorized and received. While you have a justifiable complaint with the merchant, it is not a billing error dispute. Therefore, although we sympathize with your position, we are unable to help.

You may want to contact the merchant directly in an effort to resolve the matter.

If you have any questions, or if we can help in any other way, please call us. Serving you is very important to us, and we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Andrea Brooks
Financial Service Advisor
So, it looks like this battle is over for me. Have others had better responses?
Old 03-02-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
After I wrote to Amazon disputing the charges, I received an E-mail from customer service telling me the E-mail telling me I would be charged additional money was an error, I could ignore it and that the amount I was originally charged was correct. Two weeks later my card was charged . I called and told Amazon you can't tell me everything is OK and than charge me anyway. After waiting on hold for about 15 minutes while they researched
the situation they agreed to refund my money. A good outcome for me.
Old 03-02-07, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by sumdeus
I received a response from Chase in the mail today in regards to my formal dispute of the Charges from Amazon on my three orders. Here is their response:

So, it looks like this battle is over for me. Have others had better responses?
Amazon uses Chase Paymentech as a payment processor (among other things). It wouldn't surprise me if Chase credit cards wouldn't have a favorable outcome. They're more likely to side with what is probably their biggest customer.
Old 03-03-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After 3 go fuck yourself responses to my emails, I took a week off to decide if I wanted to pursue a chargeback. I decided to email Amazon one last time in hopes of receiving a refund and avoiding having to file a dispute with MasterCard. The email that I sent to Amazon last night was a little more agressive in tone than my first three(I was still civil). Lo and behold, I just receive a response from Amazon agreeing to refund the money for my one order. If you still haven't received a refund from Amazon and don't want to get your credit card company involved, be persistent in emailing Amazon. Hopefully you'll get the same end result that I have gotten.
Old 03-04-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've e-mailed 5 times now, being somewhat aggressive/direct in pointing out that they invoiced me, I agreed to pay the invoiced price, they accepted payment, reviewed the order and shipped the items. And that according to their online policies, they can cancel an order or notify me of a misprice before shipping. Plus, their explicit statement in the confirmation e-mail is that the order was complete. And that, as a matter of principle, it is unacceptable for them to attempt to charge my card later for a transaction which they acknowledge is complete and which they had the opportunity and obligation to verify before completing according to their own terms.

I continued to receive FU emails in response, mainly referring to their own earlier FU responses, basically saying "We told you FU before, so FU."

I've been truly on the fence as to whether I want to just keep and pay for the sets (I placed 2 orders which were pretty good deals for me), return them and cut back or stop my business with Amazon, or protest the charges with AmEx. (My billing cycle isn't up for another week.)

Any sense in sending more e-mails? Anything I haven't said that I should? (Sweet BJ, what did you say in your letter? Care to share?) Has anyone dispute these charges with AmEx? If so, what response?

So many options. I honestly feel like I could go with any choice. Although Amazon has annoyed me quite a bit with their semi-canned offshore outsourced responses from the Indian CS drones.
Old 03-04-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
After 3 go fuck yourself responses to my emails, I took a week off to decide if I wanted to pursue a chargeback. I decided to email Amazon one last time in hopes of receiving a refund and avoiding having to file a dispute with MasterCard. The email that I sent to Amazon last night was a little more agressive in tone than my first three(I was still civil). Lo and behold, I just receive a response from Amazon agreeing to refund the money for my one order. If you still haven't received a refund from Amazon and don't want to get your credit card company involved, be persistent in emailing Amazon. Hopefully you'll get the same end result that I have gotten.
Sweet Baby James, two quick questions:

1) Which option did you choose for "Select a subject for your e-mail?" I have sent three e-mails using the "Other" option with only the FU response each time. I just sent a fourth to the "Returns & Refunds" option and was told that they were going to research my problem and get back to me.

2) Could you share your correspondence with Amazon that resulted in your refund? I know many of us would appreciate it.
Old 03-04-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by drmoze

Any sense in sending more e-mails? Anything I haven't said that I should? (Sweet BJ, what did you say in your letter? Care to share?) Has anyone dispute these charges with AmEx? If so, what response?
I basically went through the entire history of the order. I told them that I was concerned about the threatening tone of the email that they sent out on December 28, where they felt entitled to make an unauthorized charge to my card, that I called customer support to inquire about the situation. I was told on the phone that the email was a mistake and that I can rest assured that I would not be charged. Then after receiving the January 26 email, I called customer support and once again was told that I would not be charged. Then after you actually processed an unauthorized charge on February 13, I sent 3 different emails to request a refund and received 3 canned responses denying this request. I also mentioned that I know for a fact that other customers who made similar orders did receive a refund and I wanted to know why I wasn't granted the same courtesy. I then told them that I called customer support after being denied a refund through my emails and was told that a refund request would be made. I finished the email by saying that it's now been over two weeks and I haven't received a refund and that if I didn't receive a refund soon, then I'll have to dispute the charge with MasterCard. I also stressed that I didn't appreciate being lied to on 3 different occasions.

The tone of the email was definitely more forceful than my previous ones, but it was still respectful. I hope that this somewhat helps and I wish you the best of luck.

EDIT: Even if you didn't call customer support, you can say that you did. I highly doubt that they keep a record of all incoming customer support phone calls and even if they did, I doubt that they would research it to see if you actually did call.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 03-04-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sumdeus
Sweet Baby James, two quick questions:

1) Which option did you choose for "Select a subject for your e-mail?" I have sent three e-mails using the "Other" option with only the FU response each time. I just sent a fourth to the "Returns & Refunds" option and was told that they were going to research my problem and get back to me.

2) Could you share your correspondence with Amazon that resulted in your refund? I know many of us would appreciate it.
The contact that finally worked was the "Other" option. See my post above for the nature of my successful email.
Old 03-04-07, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by drmoze
I've e-mailed 5 times now, being somewhat aggressive/direct in pointing out that they invoiced me, I agreed to pay the invoiced price, they accepted payment, reviewed the order and shipped the items. And that according to their online policies, they can cancel an order or notify me of a misprice before shipping. Plus, their explicit statement in the confirmation e-mail is that the order was complete. And that, as a matter of principle, it is unacceptable for them to attempt to charge my card later for a transaction which they acknowledge is complete and which they had the opportunity and obligation to verify before completing according to their own terms.

I continued to receive FU emails in response, mainly referring to their own earlier FU responses, basically saying "We told you FU before, so FU."

I've been truly on the fence as to whether I want to just keep and pay for the sets (I placed 2 orders which were pretty good deals for me), return them and cut back or stop my business with Amazon, or protest the charges with AmEx. (My billing cycle isn't up for another week.)

So many options. I honestly feel like I could go with any choice. Although Amazon has annoyed me quite a bit with their semi-canned offshore outsourced responses from the Indian CS drones.

Hello drmoze!

I disputed the charges (two unauthorized charges to my cc) with my cc company (Amex)
and got my money back 3 days later, it only took me 1 email to do so.
I don't understand why people go through so much trouble with Amazon,
writing numerous emails and waste so much time and energy.
my advice: dispute the charges and be done with it.

P.S. I too tried reasoning with the Amazon customer support,
but gave up after 2 inconclusive emails and just told Amex to do what had to be done.
I mean, why ruin my nerves?
kind regards
Warrior
Old 03-04-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Warrior
I don't understand why people go through so much trouble with Amazon,
writing numerous emails and waste so much time and energy.
my advice: dispute the charges and be done with it.
I personally wanted to work it out with Amazon because I didn't want to run the risk of possibly being banned by Amazon for hitting them up with a chargeback. I know that the liklihood of being banned is minute, but I do enjoy shopping at Amazon and I have a boatload of Borders gift certificates that I like to use at Amazon. Not only do I now have my money back, I can breathe easy knowing that Amazon isn't holding a grudge against me.
Old 03-04-07, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I personally wanted to work it out with Amazon because I didn't want to run the risk of possibly being banned by Amazon for hitting them up with a chargeback. I know that the liklihood of being banned is minute, but I do enjoy shopping at Amazon and I have a boatload of Borders gift certificates that I like to use at Amazon. Not only do I now have my money back, I can breathe easy knowing that Amazon isn't holding a grudge against me.

Hi Sweet Baby James!

Ok, I can live with that, your arguments and so.
I too like shopping at Amazon and I am a customer there since 2001,
spending thousands of dollars over the years, $2500 alone in Oct. 2006 for hardware.
I didn't took the decision lightly to dispute the charges,
I got those emails too "you will not be charged again.......you can keep the dvds ....and so on",
then I got charged, tried to reason with them, but it didn't work out the way I hoped for.
So I got tired of writing more emails and I knew Amazon would not ban me from further business,
even though I am an international customer, simply because that would have been a dumb move on their part considering my order history,
so I went ahead and wrote that email to Amex. I understand you point fully,
I felt the same way but just knew they would not do such a thing (banning me from placing future orders).
I just wanted to encourage people a little bit to do what would be their right to do, that's all.
kind regards
Warrior
Old 03-04-07, 02:17 PM

So the folks that got refunds after disputing the charges....did you "win" your dispute?

The reason I ask is that is it is usually standard practice for credit card companies to refund a purchase while the dispute is being investigated.
Old 03-04-07, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
So the folks that got refunds after disputing the charges....did you "win" your dispute?

The reason I ask is that is it is usually standard practice for credit card companies to refund a purchase while the dispute is being investigated.
Hi!

Being one of them that had disputed the charges....
I don't know if I have won or not since I don't know if any investigation by my cc company is pending.
But what I do know is that my charges got reversed on Feb. 21 bei Amex and since then have stayed that way.
So, from my point of view I have "won".....whatever that is....lol.
I don't expect Amex to take those credits away from me again, can't see that happening.
greetings!
Warrior

Btw. Amex never asked me for any proof or paperwork documenting why
I wanted those charges reversed, so I am pretty sure this whole mess has ended positivly for me.

Last edited by Warrior; 03-04-07 at 03:36 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.