Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Pricing Error - anyone charged yet?(for those sick of the attacks and arguing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Here's what Amazon told me today.

Hello from Amazon.com.

FU.

Best regards,

Sharad Chandra
Amazon.com Customer Service
http://www.amazon.com
fixed.
Old 02-23-07, 01:14 AM

I disputed the charges for my 3 orders the day they posted and my bank reversed them at least temporarily while they investigate. Today I get 3 letters from a collection agency demanding payment plus $20 for each order!

Has anyone else received letters from a collection agency (edit: obviously regarding the unauthorized Amazon.com charges)?

Last edited by alk3hol; 02-23-07 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had ordered both the first and second Newsradio sets and looked at my credit card statement today and found out that they had overcharged me. I sent them an email and they simply said that they charged me the correct price. Which they didn't. Maybe next time I'll just call them. I haven't been following this thread but boy..what a mess on their part.
Old 02-23-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
fixed.

Best post in this thread!
Old 02-23-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by alk3hol
I disputed the charges for my 3 orders the day they posted and my bank reversed them at least temporarily while they investigate. Today I get 3 letters from a collection agency demanding payment plus $20 for each order!

Has anyone else received letters from a collection agency?

I did....wait a minute I didn't even order during this "promotion". Must be something else.....

Last edited by dablueguy; 02-23-07 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Has anyone else received letters from a collection agency (edit: obviously regarding the unauthorized Amazon.com charges)?
It's unusual that they would send out a collection letter days after one would file for a chargeback. It's normally weeks or months.
Old 02-23-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is interesting. Any more info? What are they saying the additional $20 is for?
Old 02-23-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildman1037
This is interesting. Any more info? What are they saying the additional $20 is for?
I would imagine it is a fee for the collection agency, I think that's pretty standard for smaller claims. (like the signs you see for finance charges for bounced checks)
Old 02-23-07, 10:56 AM

If this is true, makes me glad I still haven't disputed the charges with my credit card company, and have just been dealing with Amazon CS. The refunds I was promised by Amazon CS do appear in my order status, but have not been posted to my credit card yet, but should in the next day or so.

But as a practical matter, if I wasn't getting the refunds issued by Amazon that I appear to be, I'd much sooner pay the darn charges than risk any credit issues. Got too much going on, buying a house, car, etc. to risk it for $50 or so.
Old 02-23-07, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by wildman1037

It's a "check fee" so I guess they are treating it like a bounced check.

I called the collection agency (Certegy Payment Recovery Services, Inc.) and told them that I have disputed the charge with my bank and I was told to fax them a copy of the affidavit of unauthorized debit activity that I submitted to the bank and call back on Monday to make sure they got it. They didn't even try to convince me to pay, which I thought was rather uncharacteristic of a collections agency. I disputed the charge on the 14th and the collection letter is dated the 16th! That was incredibly fast so it apparently doesn't take weeks or months.
Old 02-23-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm confused. I disputed the charge with AMEX and haven't heard anything yet. If they send a collection agency after my 40 bucks, more power to them, but wouldn't they need to go after AMEX? Or are we talking about a debit card transaction?
Old 02-23-07, 12:46 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
If this is true, makes me glad I still haven't disputed the charges with my credit card company, and have just been dealing with Amazon CS. The refunds I was promised by Amazon CS do appear in my order status, but have not been posted to my credit card yet, but should in the next day or so.

But as a practical matter, if I wasn't getting the refunds issued by Amazon that I appear to be, I'd much sooner pay the darn charges than risk any credit issues. Got too much going on, buying a house, car, etc. to risk it for $50 or so.

You are the exact type of sheep a huge company loves.
Old 02-23-07, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by marylandjoe03
You are the exact type of sheep a huge company loves.
Not quite. If I were a sheep, I would have sent the DVD's back already, right? I have every intention on keeping the DVD's and not paying Amazon for them, but at what cost...Feel free to risk bad credit over this, but it's not worth it to me. In any event, I am still letting this thing play itself out.
Old 02-23-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many sets did you order? I agree with others that it seems way too early in the game for collection letters.
Old 02-23-07, 04:18 PM

It was a direct debit transaction (which I will never do again. I'll stick to actual credit cards.) I thought Amazon.com was reputable and I trusted them to be responsible.
Old 02-23-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
I'm confused. I disputed the charge with AMEX and haven't heard anything yet. If they send a collection agency after my 40 bucks, more power to them, but wouldn't they need to go after AMEX? Or are we talking about a debit card transaction?
Just because you dispute a charge with your credit card bank does not preclude Amazon from attempting other collection methods.
Old 02-23-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was a direct debit transaction (which I will never do again. I'll stick to actual credit cards.)
I thought Amazon.com was reputable and I trusted them to be responsible.
Given that direct debits are a lot like writing a check (It has been a while, but I believe they are called "demand drafts" in banking lingo as in "draft a check.") -- and the collection agency wants that extra $20 as a "check fee" -- perhaps Amazon has a system in place where they treat any failed direct debit like a bounced check and automagically kick it over to a collection agency that specializes in bounced checks. Which would make your case a lot different from the guys with credit and 'real' debit cards.

That is presuming you really did mean direct debit and not a debit card.
Old 02-23-07, 09:16 PM

Update on my own dispute

Had 6 orders. (yes, I am keeping all of the sets to watch)

I disputed thru credit card while sending off the standard email to Amazon CS, which got 6 different responses including one refund on Amazon's part! (that is how screwed up they are)

Anyhow, got a phone call back from my charge company today to clarify my situation after they recevied the receipts. They as before agreed that a receipt is all the proof you need and the remaining charges were unauthorized. SO, she indicated that she was calling Amazon on her own to work on my behalf.

Well, I have never heard back from Amazon or my card company all day, but out of curiosity, I checked my statement tonight and lo and behold, I have received 5 more refunds labeled "Return" just like the other Amazon initiated credit on the 6th one. SO< I am assuming that my card company convinced them to refund OR my card company reveresed on their own. The latter I doubt b/c I think in a dispute the charges are only put on hold, not credited until the investigation is complete.

Anyhow, I am assuming now that this is over, Amazon lost consumer won.

AND to the wannabe lawyers and morality police.............Aw, not even worth the typing to address these groups of people.
Old 02-23-07, 10:54 PM

Yes it was direct debit and not debit card.

But it was still unauthorized.
Old 02-25-07, 03:38 PM

Well, the refunds from Amazon CS for the additional charges have shown up on my credit card. So this saga is over for me, and I never had to dispute the charges with my credit card company. Also, now I can finally open the DVD's... I'm outta here.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 02-25-07 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrey r
Well, the refunds from Amazon CS for the additional charges have shown up on my credit card. So this saga is over for me, and I never had to dispute the charges with my credit card company. Also, now I can finally open the DVD's... I'm outta here.
Congratulations! Unfortunately for me, I'm still getting the go fuck yourself emails. I'll be sending out my fourth attempt tomorrow. Hopefully, persistance will pay off.
Old 02-26-07, 07:29 PM

I disputed the unauthorized charges today with my Visa after getting the same FU responses from Amazon over and over again. Also sent out the necessary paperwork; email invoices with the amount I was originally charged along with my packing slips. We'll see how things go.
Old 02-26-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still getting the usual FU responses to my emails. However one CSR I wrote a few days ago gave me a $25 promotionbal GC for my trouble.

Also sent off at least 60 pages worth of documents to my credit card company so they can review this mess. I was talking to a woman who worked for my credit card company the other day and do not think I will have any problem with the dispute. When I told her what happened she said Amazon cannot charge you a second time like they did.
Old 02-26-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
60 pages worth of documents? you must have sent them this entire thread.
Old 02-27-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
60 pages worth of documents? you must have sent them this entire thread.
Or ordered every box set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.