Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!! Part 2

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!! Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roper
They just attempted to charge me, but it was rejected. I paid with my Pay Pal debit card, but my Pay Pal account was empty.

EDIT: The charge was for the correct B1G1F amount. There was no "note" on my account because I never contacted customer service.

Just so you know, eventually that charge will go through. I tried that once and after a couple attempts the charge went through and I had a negative balance on my Paypal account.
Old 02-12-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I was just charged for my orders. But I payed with my Paypal debit/credit card, and I see Paypal instantly denied all the charges.

And I had money in there too...

No emails from Amazon either.
Old 02-12-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Surprised that Amazon is taking a stand, but
Old 02-12-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-12-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-12-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-12-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
What about coupons? What if an e-tailer decides some 45 days after you used a coupon/code that it was invalid when you used it. And they then decide to charge you the difference?
This was not an issue with an invalid coupon code. It was a totalling glitch.
What's stopping companies from charging later in your example now?
Also, Amazon has a paper trail stating their intentions, there was never a
45 day gap between purchase and recharge. The customers knew what
Amazon intended to do if the product was not returned or authorization for
an immediate charge of the correct intended purchase price was not given.
Old 02-12-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
The "waaaaay after the fact" was to allow for folks to return the items per the
return policy. This was stated at the very start. This was also not a misprice as
the product pages showed the correct prices. It was an obvious programming
glitch in the totalling. Aside from instances like that, it would be pretty hard for
companies to recharge using this Amazon fiasco as an example. So yes, I can
deny your claim.
Dont see how. SOmehow you see a difference between a "pricing mistake" (amazon's fault) and a "programming glitch" (also amazon's fault). How are these two different? The consumer is not responsible for informing the seller that he is making a mistake. I personally shop around for the best price. Amazon had the dvd's offered for the cheapest so I went with them.
Old 02-12-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what Amazon will do with people that they are unable to charge. Post if they followup up via email.
Old 02-12-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Dont see how. SOmehow you see a difference between a "pricing mistake" (amazon's fault) and a "programming glitch" (also amazon's fault). How are these two different? The consumer is not responsible for informing the seller that he is making a mistake. I personally shop around for the best price. Amazon had the dvd's offered for the cheapest so I went with them.
The product page had the correct price, along with the correct terms for the
buy one get one offer. The checkout page showed a conflicting price to what
was advertised (the difference between the higher and lower priced of the two
sets purchased, if there was one). That's the difference between a pricing
mistake and a programming glitch. The "somehow" is that I consider a pricing
mistake to involve a product costing more than what it is advertised at.
I consider the product's page along with the terms of the sale to be the
advertised price of the item.

Your question eluding to Amazon taking all the blame is something for the other
thread, and one I've already answered.
Old 02-12-07, 07:19 PM
mbs

Your question eluding to Amazon taking all the blame is something for the other
thread, and one I've already answered.
Do you disagree that Amazon be subject to their own (published) Terms & Conditions?

In their T&C they state that they will review all orders before shipping and notify the customer of any problems before shipping.
Old 02-12-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
The biggest problem that I have with Amazon over this whole fiasco is that they didn't send out their first "return or else" email until after most people had already received their orders. Then they demand that the DVD sets had to be unopened to be returnable. I had already cracked the shrinkwrap open on my 2 sets before I received this email. I strongly feel that they should have accepted opened DVDs to be returned since they were so tardy with their first email.
Did you write/call them to explain/ask this? They definately should have allowed
opened sets to be returned.
Old 02-12-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
Do you disagree that Amazon be subject to their own (published) Terms & Conditions?

In their T&C they state that they will review all orders before shipping and notify the customer of any problems before shipping.
Their T&C also explain the promotion - don't you think they should be subject to those, and you too?
Old 02-12-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mbs

I've not read through Amazon's T&C notice, but I'd like to state that that
question, even if I had read through them, involves more than what the mod
has recently stated should go on in this thread (it'd turn into another morals
debate). Read my replies in the other thread for my feelings to that extent.
Old 02-12-07, 07:31 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by cpgator
Their T&C also explain the promotion - don't you think they should be subject to those, and you too?
They mention this exact promotion? In their general T&C?

This promotion is gone and since I didn't partake, I didn't copy down any of the info. But then, at best, the two T&Cs conflict. Which wins out... their stating that they won't ship problem orders or that they mis-applied a promotion?

Amazon screwed up. Regardless of how many people took advantage, it was their mistake. Two mistakes in fact. They applied their promotion incorrectly and they incorrectly decided to ship these orders.

Last edited by mbs; 02-12-07 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 07:36 PM
mbs

question, even if I had read through them, involves more than what the mod
has recently stated should go on in this thread (it'd turn into another morals
debate).
Really? Reading interpretation involves morals? Huh.

I think discussion of Amazon's T&Cs is certainly allowed in this thread and can be done without telling others you are morally superior to them. But perhaps I'm naive.
Old 02-12-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was not an issue with an invalid coupon code. It was a totalling glitch.
What's stopping companies from charging later in your example now?
Also, Amazon has a paper trail stating their intentions, there was never a
45 day gap between purchase and recharge. The customers knew what
Amazon intended to do if the product was not returned or authorization for
an immediate charge of the correct intended purchase price was not given.
What paper trail? Amazon sent a couple of emails saying they made an error. They kept changing the deadlines, and never informed me that I would get charged Feb 12. The last correspondence I received from them said Feb 2 was the so called final deadline.

Reading the different responses posted here by Amazon's customer service reps they were not consistent with answers or solutions on the situation for different individuals. It varied from person to person, and CSR to CSR. Some people were told tough luck, while others received assurance they would not get charged, and the emails were an error. Amazon's answers if anything made it more confusing.

Also as has frequently been mentioned Amazon quickly corrected the problem on their web site, and had several days to stop most of the orders from going out. If they didn't agree with the total price before shipping they should have tried harder to prevent the orders from going out.
Old 02-12-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like it how in an example where someone has bought something at Best Buy and the manager complains about the price they paid and tell the customer that they have to give it back(which has happened here a few times), people say that they customer is right in not giving it back because the transaction was done. He paid and has a receipt and that's that.

Nobody ever says that the store has the right to give it back.

Yet now the same thing happens only it's amazon doing this and not some jerk manager, and this time people are supposed to give their stuff back after the transaction is finalized.

Amazon sent people their receipt, send the goods out, and just like those jerk managers, now want their stuff back because they don't like the price they sent the goods out for.

And unlike the jerk managers who people always say are wrong, amazon had time to fix any mistakes before sending stuff out.
Old 02-12-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
They mention this exact promotion? In their general T&C?

This promotion is gone and since I didn't partake, I didn't copy down any of the info. But then, at best, the two T&Cs conflict. Which wins out... that their stating that they won't ship problem orders or that they mis-applied a promotion?

Amazon screwed up. Regardless of how many people took advantage, it was their mistake. Two mistakes in fact. They applied their promotion incorrectly and they incorrectly decided to ship these orders.
The T&C doesn't need to be written for any specifc promotion. It is their general policy for dealing with pricing errors. Basically, it says that if there's a price discrepancy, they will either notify you of the corrected (higher) price or cancel the order, before shipping. Their terms indicate that they retain the right to correct any glitches before shipping by either of these methods, so they are not required to sell a mispriced item if they haven't shipped yet.

This is essentially their "last chance" clause. It certainly implies that once they ship an item (presumably after verifying the order's accuracy, which is their responsibility) then the order is a valid order at the verified order price. The fact that all of their shipment notification e-mails clearly state "This completes your order" supports this.

Amazon had a glitch, and they also acknowledge thatthey are responsible for verifying prices before shipping. For some reason, they shipped many orders for this glitch without checking the validity of the prices, and as I see it, they bear the burden of th eloss on this one.

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
What paper trail? Amazon sent a couple of emails saying they made an error. They kept changing the deadlines, and never informed me that I would get charged Feb 12. The last correspondence I received from them said Feb 2 was the so called final deadline.
This isn't a good argument. Amazon said if the product isn't returned by Feb. 2, they will charge you for it. They didn't say on which exact day they would charge you, nor do they have to. They just set a deadline with enough time to return the items by; after that deadline, no returns means a charge whenever they post it (within a reasonable time, I guess).

i agree with the rest of your points, though.

Last edited by drmoze; 02-12-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
Really? Reading interpretation involves morals? Huh.
No, but my answer, no matter what Amazon's T&C, would most likely involve
my viewpoint on the situation (thus the interpretation), which is something
the mods want kept in the other thread.

I think discussion of Amazon's T&Cs is certainly allowed in this thread and can be done without telling others you are morally superior to them. But perhaps I'm naive.
Not taking the bait. Guess I'm not naïve.
Old 02-12-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
That paper trail.

On the date changes, was that done to everyone at each change point, or
is that based on the different e-mails different folks got upon corresponding
with Amazon (ie; one person was told the 2nd, one was told the 5th, one the
12th)? By your later comments I'd assume the latter? Can Amazon really be
held to task for person B counting on what they told person A. As will be the
case with the chargebacks, each instance may have been handled differently
on a customer to customer basis.

Also as has frequently been mentioned Amazon quickly corrected the problem on their web site, and had several days to stop most of the orders from going out. If they didn't agree with the total price before shipping they should have tried harder to prevent the orders from going out.
Without knowing firsthand how Amazon fulfills orders I can't say how hard/easy
it may have been for them to stop every order that was placed. I don't know
how automated it is and what info is even supplied in the stages where a human
is involved. Who's to say that very many slipped through (I'm not saying that
these DVD Talk orders were the only ones) or that they didn't try their best and
caught the majority of them?
Old 02-12-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish DVDTalk would have it so people couldn't just post smilies, they'd have to actually say something. I'm tired of seeing that damn popcorn eating smilely.
Old 02-12-07, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
I wonder what Amazon will do with people that they are unable to charge. Post if they followup up via email.
I for one will be letting everyone know what happens every step of the way. I have not been charged, nor have they gotten in contact with me. But we'll see.
Old 02-12-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xNightfallx
I for one will be letting everyone know what happens every step of the way. I have not been charged, nor have they gotten in contact with me. But we'll see.
Considering all the abuse you took here, I hope you make it out OK.
Old 02-13-07, 12:14 AM
mbs

Without knowing firsthand how Amazon fulfills orders I can't say how hard/easy
it may have been for them to stop every order that was placed.
No, it doesn't matter. If Amazon states that they will fix incorrect orders before they ship, they should do so. They explicitly state that incorrect orders will be corrected before shipping.

Otherwise (if they want to ship first, ask questions later), they should add "If the price is later found to be incorrect, we will bill you the higher rate" in the T&C.

It isn't fair to change the T&C after the sale, regardless if Amazon makes several mistakes and ships out items they should not have. And this is what I'm worried about. Like I said, I wasn't involved in this, but I'll be damn caution when shopping at Amazon again. Who knows if it's a sale or if I'm later going to be told to send it back unopened or they will bill me more. Bad bad bad precedent for the consumer, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.