Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 09:19 AM
HTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but I just want to say "Thank You" to Amazon for canceling both of my orders. I can start the new year with a "clear" conscience.

Now back to our regular schedule programming....
Old 12-29-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrey r
Jeez, this holier than thou bs is getting a bit tiresome. The Target fiasco was an aboslute feeding frenzy, and was on such a bigger scale than this one, and I don't remember this kind of moralizing. There have been countless price mistakes before, and people jump on them. Overstock, Suncoast, Buy.com. Happens all the time.

Newsflash--people like getting things discounted. People like getting things for free. And this was a legal transaction, with a legitimate online retailer, who made a mistake. Nothing was manipulated here. We put items in our cart, went to check out, paid what we were charged, and were shipped and received the goods.

Again, it is not the buyer's responsibility to make sure a promotion was applied properly. I do promotions at Amazon all the time. $30 for buying $100 worth of Pampers products. The current $10 off $49 at the grocery. And if you look at how Amazon bills it, sometimes they take part of the promotion off different items to equal the total promotion, or all off the promotion off of one item. Whatever it is it is, as long as I get the total promotion.

So on this one, they screwed up. And applied too big of a promotion. I placed two orders--big whoop. And what if I opened it already. And what if I gave it away as a gift. Shouldn't matter--when I paid, it was shipped, and I received it, it was mine to do what I want with it. Amazon should have canceled the darn orders. But by not doing that, and shipping them, it's a done deal.

And I wouldn't expect anyone who is being so ethical here to take advantage of any other price mistake on this board in the future. Whether it's a $1 price mistake, a $5 price mistake, or a $50 price mistake, it is not what the price was supposed to be, so I would expect you to pass on the deal or pay the higher price to the retailer.
ditto
Old 12-29-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrey r

And I wouldn't expect anyone who is being so ethical here to take advantage of any other price mistake on this board in the future. Whether it's a $1 price mistake, a $5 price mistake, or a $50 price mistake, it is not what the price was supposed to be, so I would expect you to pass on the deal or pay the higher price to the retailer.

Actually, I have particpated in 'glitches' in the past, and will again in the future I am sure. I just find it funny that people whine when they are called on it.

I kinda consider it the price of the games we play...we win most..and lose some.

But like most are saying, Amazon will most likely let these go...unless you completely abused the 'system' and bought dozens of sets for profit. they might go after those folks.
Old 12-29-06, 09:24 AM

I didn't get in on the deal, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. But isn't this the whole reason you come here, to find the deals/glitches/mistakes? Isn't the hunt the real fun? Accepted with the rules of the game are the risks. Really, this is just another level on the risk/reward payoff of hunting DVDs. You can return the DVDs and pay nothing or hold out and try to win it all for nothing. All we need now is Howie Mandel or Monty Hall.
Old 12-29-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LOL, i also got that email, but who's to blame? personally, i blame:

1-the moderators, seriously guys, you should have this new rule where you delete these kinda posts after like the 20th post, it's good that some get it that none.

2- the faget who placed over 50 orders.not he only he did that, but he claimed he will give them as gifts.(yeah right)

and guess what? i don't live in the US, so how in the hell iam gonna return them?! it would cost me too much.ah well
Old 12-29-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Actually, I have particpated in 'glitches' in the past, and will again in the future I am sure. I just find it funny that people whine when they are called on it.
It depends on the method of being called. I think we've all had orders cancelled, sometimes even after being charged [but before being shipped]. Most of us snap our fingers and say "Oh well, better luck next time."
But to basically retroactively decide to try to charge more, after the items are in-hand, doesn't sound real good. What if they decided--retroactively--that a legitimate deal was too popular, so every order past the 100,000th was charged regular price, after the fact?
If you make a mistake, you suck it up and learn from it, and try to do better next time. Or you ask the mistake-profiter, Hey, you know, I screwed up, can we start over? and of course they can say yes or no.
Old 12-29-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
i blame:

1-the moderators, seriously guys, you should have this new rule where you delete these kinda posts after like the 20th post, it's good that some get it that none.
You hear that, you mods?! Its all your damn fault!

Expect Amazon to send YOU the bill!
Old 12-29-06, 09:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by animatedude
2- the faget who placed over 50 orders.not he only he did that, but he claimed he will give them as gifts.(yeah right)

Old 12-29-06, 09:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
[QUOTE=animatedude

[/QUOTE]

....um.... What's a "faget"??

Old 12-29-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfinhank
....um.... What's a "faget"??
From Dictionary.com: No results found for faget.

So, .
Old 12-29-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Faget about it.....
Old 12-29-06, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe

I kinda consider it the price of the games we play...we win most..and lose some.

But like most are saying, Amazon will most likely let these go...unless you completely abused the 'system' and bought dozens of sets for profit. they might go after those folks.
at this point for me, i really don't care about the dvds. they really mean nothing to me in the long run. i'm fighting this fight due to principle. I was charge a set price (correct or in correct doesn't matter in my particular argument at this time), agreed to that price, paid that price and was shipped the items for that given price. for a company to come back to me and say "hey, we want more money for that", in my mind, just isn't fair or good practice. this doesn't just apply to amazon or anything else. how many of you have driven around to two or three gas stations to find the lowest price? what if that one you went to called you up later that day and said "hey, the price of gas went up this morning and the attendent didn't change it until after you left. bring back the gas or i'll charge you $2 more on your card". what makes that situation different than this? if the gas station called you, you'd be pissed. same thing here. I paid a price, i got the goods and or services for that price. that is what i should pay.

If i have to I'll send these dvds back, no big deal. But like many people have said, what kind of precidence does this set? can retailers come up to us at any point now and say "hey, the price was wrong, we just billed you the right price" at any point? who knows....

I regretted buying this as soon as i placed the order, now i know why
Old 12-29-06, 09:59 AM

But to basically retroactively decide to try to charge more, after the items are in-hand, doesn't sound real good. What if they decided--retroactively--that a legitimate deal was too popular, so every order past the 100,000th was charged regular price, after the fact?
But that "what if" doesn't apply here because this WASN'T A DEAL, it was a technical glitch that certain people grossly took advantage of. Everyone ordering knew it, everyone knew what they were getting themselves into -- it was pretty clear it wasn't a "legitimate deal" so that argument doesn't hold any weight IMO.
Old 12-29-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
But that "what if" doesn't apply here because this WASN'T A DEAL, it was a technical glitch that certain people grossly took advantage of. Everyone ordering knew it, everyone knew what they were getting themselves into -- it was pretty clear it wasn't a "legitimate deal" so that argument doesn't hold any weight IMO.
I'm psychic? I know the intricacies of Amazon's marketing and planning? It's my responsibility to ensure they charge me correctly?
It was a price mistake. They shipped it. I paid what they charged. Done. By shipping the items--four days after I ordered--they consented to what *their* website charged me.
You sure worked at trying to get Rumpole for half off, and they 'better' ship those price mistakes.
Old 12-29-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had this happen to me before. I bought a new wheel for my road bicycle at a local shop that was supposed to be $112.07, but once I got home, I noticed the guy entered it wrong on the charge and it came out to be only $12.07. Later, I got a letter in the mail from the bicycle shop saying they made a mistake and they charged my credit card another $100 and included a new charge receipt!
Old 12-29-06, 10:23 AM

You guys won't believe what I just received.....

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com with your comments.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not notified about the price change befor the item has shipped. I apoligize for the inconvenience caused.

I will be sure to pass your message on to the appropriate department in our company for consideration. Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the selection and service we provide.

Because your business is important to us, I'd like to give you a $10 promotional certificate for use toward your next Amazon.com order.

This amount has been automatically redeemed onto your account.
You will not receive a claim code.

To use your promotional certificate, follow these steps:

1. Add the items you want to your Shopping Cart and click the
"Proceed to Checkout" button to fill out our order form.

2. You should see the promotional funds listed in the order cost
summary that appears just before you submit your order. As
long as the order qualifies, you don't need to do anything else
to receive the promotional discount.

3. If the cost of your purchase exceeds the amount of the
promotional certificate, you will be prompted to provide your
credit card information for the remaining balance.
Old 12-29-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is going to be interesting if Amazon starts sending collection agencies after people who did not return the DVDs and who successfully disputed any additional charges on their credit cards.

Remember, even if your credit card agrees with you and doesn't let Amazon charge the card for the balance, this doesn't mean that Amazon can't pursue other methods to recover the cost of the DVDs.
Old 12-29-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
The person asked me to specify jurisdictions and I did. Theft by deception is an old common law concept (the common law originated in England) and I am sure many states still have laws on the books that would make this situation a crime, although it is doubtful they would ever be enforced for such trivial amounts. My point was not to say that any of you are criminals, but instead that other jurisdictions have taken the position that what you did is worthy of being called a crime.

Me, I don't see it as a crime, but it's not something that I would feel proud for doing. But that's just me.
Sorry to keep harping on this, but don't come on the board and offer people so-called legal advice, and then fail to back it up. When you say you know of jurisdictions where this is a crime, how are England and Canada relevant?

And when you say, "I am sure many states still have laws on the books...", how sure are you? Is this sureness a product of your finely-tuned legal intuition, or a product of diligent research? If the former, your intuition doesn't count for much around here. If the latter, show us the research.

So far your legal arguments have been... unconvincing.

I'll put it to you: "I know of no jurisdiction, federal or state, in present-day United States where this would be a crime." Prove me wrong.
Old 12-29-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't get in on the deal, but I still think Amazon is 100% wrong. Yes, the point of this forum is to find the deals/mistakes. So, anyone who got in on it, I don't feel like they did anything wrong. IMO, the ones who made 50+ orders did something wrong. It's just like the people who went to Target and bought up every copy of every box set during their $5.99 price mistake.

I can't see that Amazon even has any type of an argument. Cancelling an order before it ships is one thing, but to give people an ultimatum should be illegal in some way.
Old 12-29-06, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Intent

People here are amazing...

What i am seeing is that everyone here that bought from this "glitch/deal" went to amazon with intent of taking advantage of a known glitch in their system. This isnt a case where they advertised one price and decided to charge you something different later.

Yes, there were probably a handful of people that don't read this board that got these DVDs at little/no cost. But almost everyone that got in on this glitch that is now reading this message KNEW they were taking advantage of this company.

Now people are claiming that they are going to cancel their accounts and never do business with Amazon ever again, cause they have now caught their mistake and are trying to do something about it. Remember, you KNEW that the prices would be less than what Amazon intended them to be. You KNEW that amazon would eventually catch it.

Amazon cannot win this case. But dont act like the poor innocent customer that is getting taken advantage of by the big mean 'ol company. Your hands are as dirty as theirs...
Old 12-29-06, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
I didn't get in on the deal, but I still think Amazon is 100% wrong. Yes, the point of this forum is to find the deals/mistakes. So, anyone who got in on it, I don't feel like they did anything wrong. IMO, the ones who made 50+ orders did something wrong. It's just like the people who went to Target and bought up every copy of every box set during their $5.99 price mistake.

I can't see that Amazon even has any type of an argument. Cancelling an order before it ships is one thing, but to give people an ultimatum should be illegal in some way.
So its only wrong if they did it 50+ times? what about 49?

What is the exact number it take for you to now consider it to be wrong?
Old 12-29-06, 10:46 AM

I did not go to amazon to take advantage of anything. I wwent because I got an email from them about theis super deal they were having site wide. I used one click checkout. Maybe Amazon should drop 1 click checkout!

Amazon will not get one red cent from me, I paid what they said they wanted, THE END.

Now, If I could only get a hold of somehitn ghat is not an idiot at Amazon do they understood what I was saying to them. Damn outsourced customer support!
Old 12-29-06, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by the Chief
People here are amazing...

Amazon cannot win this case. But dont act like the poor innocent customer that is getting taken advantage of by the big mean 'ol company. Your hands are as dirty as theirs...
I don't think the majority of people are whining or complaining. Sure, a few have said they won't shop at Amazon again. So be it.

To be perfectly honest, I, like surely most of the others who got in on this, fully expected the orders to be cancelled. That's what almost always happens, especially with Amazon. Amazon never lets these glitches go through. But this time they did, and now they want a "do over". That's where the problem arises. As has been said countless times, the order was placed, the product shipped, the item is in hand. Nothing was manipulated to make it happen. Done deal.

So, you can now join the other few posters who will be expected never again to take advantage of a price mistake, whether $1, $5 or $50. If the price is lower than what should have been paid, either pass on the deal, or make sure that you pay the higher price. Thanks.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 12-29-06 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-29-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cverneau
You guys won't believe what I just received.....

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com with your comments.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not notified about the price change befor the item has shipped. I apoligize for the inconvenience caused.

I will be sure to pass your message on to the appropriate department in our company for consideration. Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the selection and service we provide.

Because your business is important to us, I'd like to give you a $10 promotional certificate for use toward your next Amazon.com order.

This amount has been automatically redeemed onto your account.
You will not receive a claim code.

To use your promotional certificate, follow these steps:

1. Add the items you want to your Shopping Cart and click the
"Proceed to Checkout" button to fill out our order form.

2. You should see the promotional funds listed in the order cost
summary that appears just before you submit your order. As
long as the order qualifies, you don't need to do anything else
to receive the promotional discount.

3. If the cost of your purchase exceeds the amount of the
promotional certificate, you will be prompted to provide your
credit card information for the remaining balance.

I find this hilarious if true. Amazon really gave you $10 for receiving free DVDs? Just when you thought it couldn't get any crazier.
Old 12-29-06, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by the Chief
So its only wrong if they did it 50+ times? what about 49?

What is the exact number it take for you to now consider it to be wrong?

"personal opinion": 49 would still be excessive:-)
I, for my part, think that anything more than 5 orders could be considered "greedy",
don't get me wrong: *It is still wrong if you only place 1 order*, but there is a huge difference
in doing so or going for 50+, at least to me. I myself placed 3 orders,
I thought obout placing 3 more (for 6 items) but couldn't convince myself to do so,
but that's just my opinion and applies for me only.
regards

Warrior

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.