Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Should I buy from DeepDiscountDvd.com?

Old 08-22-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
What's dishonest about offering a plan to a customer, that we can decline or accept?
When I got the check, all the information was right there on the check. These things are no more misleading than car commercials, "Only 299$ a month!" [fine print: tax, tag, title, qualified customers, and 3,500 down payment due at signing].
Or "pre-approved" credit card applications.
But what we have here is people dealing with "What if s...".

What if the check is stolen?
What if it gets delivered to the wrong address?
What if my roommate steals it?
What if it gets cashed without me knowing?
Old 08-22-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If one is concerned about one's roommate stealing a 2.50 check, one needs to get another roommate.
What if my credit card statement gets stolen?
What if my e-statement gets mailed to the wrong email address?
What if my credit card or wallet gets stolen by that same scumbag roommate?
Those are all valid, though unlikely concerns; but they are hardly limited to this one marketing effort from DDD.

What if my 'preapproved' credit card mailing gets stolen by my roommate? Do I accuse the CC company of being 'dishonest' or 'crooked', or do I blame my thieving roommate?
Old 08-22-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by InitialX
At first I was pretty amazed with there prices and then theres the free shipping, but after looking thru a couple ratings of there company, I'm starting to think twice about purchasing from them. Many of the problems ranges from very slow delivery, no delivery at all, bad customer support, or wrong item sent.

Links to customer comments:

ResellerRatings.com
http://www.resellerratings.com/selle...1.html#reviews

Who is this lady? 118 Negative in 1 month is pretty bad.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff78727.htm

What have your experience with them been like?

I would stay very far away from DDD. They also give your personal info to spammers
Old 08-28-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's my take on things - as part of my business (selling DVD's), I order new DVDs for customers. Most of the time it's something that the local chain stores don't carry, and the customer either doesn't have a credit card or doesn't trust online shopping.

This year alone, I've placed about 100 orders through DDD, both for my store and for my personal collection. Have there been problems? Yes. But, as with any other problem with an order I've placed with them over the years, a quick phone call to customer service immediately gets everything taken care of. I've had items not show up. I've received the wrong item. I've received damaged items. All taken care of with no complaint at all on DDD's part.

The only gripe I have against them is when they use foreign call centers during the 20% off sale and their big Christmas rush. But I know that as soon as I get ahold of an American worker, everything will be fixed.

As for the whole "they give your info to spammers" thing, maybe they do. If so, whatever spammers they give it to are easily caught by my mail filter, apparently.
Old 08-28-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
No, I've never been suckered into any of their scams (read about them here), but I take dishonesty personally.

What I've personally experienced are the garden variety problems you get from dealing with a ramshackle operation, such as orders being cancelled with no explanation.

Amazon gets my business now.

Let's see here, I'd say out of every 10 orders I place, maybe ONE is from Amazon, the rest are DDD.

Out of that, guess which company has cancelled more orders on me? That would be Amazon, by about a 5 to 1 basis, probably even higher than that.

Who's more likely to honor a price mistake? That would be DDD.

Who's more likely to actually have an item in stock when they advertise having it? DDD wins again.

Now DDD does sometime decline to honor price mistakes, and once in a great while it'll turn out an item is out of stock when you try to order it... but if that's your basis for no longer doing business with them, you shouldn't be going to Amazon either.
Old 08-29-06, 06:01 PM
Cool New Member

I don't know if it was a co-incidence or not, but I did an order a while back and it was the only USA order I did on that credit card, about 2 months later I got an unauthorized transaction of $240 US on the credit card and I had to dispute it and get the card cancelled.

It was with a california money transfer company similar to paypal, zoom or something. Has anyone had this happen to them. I'm not sure if it was related to the one order I did there, but my feeling is I might go with amazon or another USA company for my next US order.

Anyone got any alternatives?
Old 08-29-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I placed an order with them August 8th for a single dvd, and it still hasn't arrived yet. Got an e-mail saying it shiped on the 11th. Here it is the 29th and no dvd. Sent them an e-mail which was responded to the next day apologizing and a promise to re-ship immediately. We'll see......
Old 08-30-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like DDD, but it's a little weird that they won't pricematch Pre-orders, stating that they are not instock so they don't qualify.
Old 08-31-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I placed an order with them August 8th for a single dvd, and it still hasn't arrived yet. Got an e-mail saying it shiped on the 11th. Here it is the 29th and no dvd. Sent them an e-mail which was responded to the next day apologizing and a promise to re-ship immediately. We'll see......

Update, her gift arrived today, 23 days since the order was placed
Old 08-31-06, 10:16 PM
Suspended

I very rarely have any problems with my orders from DDD & I have to say that when I HAVE had a problem they take care of it very well. Their customer service is great. They give you a pre-paid label to print out to send your item back. It only takes a couple of weeks for a replacement to arrive. I'm in Illinois, though, so I'm sure its faster for me just because I'm in the same state they are. I've ordered from them for years & haven't had any severe problems & have had good experiences the majority of the time. They're great, IMHO.
Old 09-05-06, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to buy there almost exclusively. Then I did a big order and they sent me a package, which I did get... but they had the contents of the package listed differently than what I got... so I did get the package, but I didn't get all DVDs. They got nasty when I asked them to prove they sent the DVDs, and I decided a couple of DVDs wasn't worth it, and they lost my business.
Old 09-05-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can only state my experiences.

I've had no problems with them that haven't been resolved to my satisfaction. I've purchased at least 200 things there, probably more like 300. I have, on about 4 occasions, gotten DVDs that arrived scratched--they've emailed me a pre-paid mailer and sent out a new copy as soon as mine got to them.

I've twice gotten an invoice that said something shipped that hadn't, which isn't great, but was quickly resolved with an email (they apologized and sent the item). Both times were really large orders during the 20% off sale. It's still not ideal, but since I've been able to resolve the issues easily it hasn't stopped me from shopping there.

For the last couple of years, I've been able to deal with any issues via email--there was a time when I had to call if there was a problem, but they seem to have addressed that.

I also haven't gotten any of those checks, or any indication that they are selling my personal information. I have never clicked on any of their special offers.

Their shipping is usually really slow, so if something is time sensitive (for example Christmas presents) I shop somewhere else.

The one thing they do that annoys me is that if I order something, and it goes out of stock, it just disappears from my order--I never get an email that it was cancelled.

Overall, though, I'm still happy with them, and will continue to shop there as long as it stays that way.
Old 09-05-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my two cents on DDD (though even that might be too much):

I started shopping with them during the first 20% sale this year (or was it late last year?) and since have not had any problems with them. I've used media mail each time and sometimes it comes in a couple weeks (at or around the receive date) and others, like recently, several days beforehand.

Oh, and as for those third party things, I did receive one of those checks and I don't remember ever signing up, so I'm not sure what was up there...
Old 09-11-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Strangely, the only problems I have had with DDD, other than floaters, have been delays when pre-ordering titles. I have done this three or four times, each time placing my order at least a week before the title was released, and each time the title arrived almost a month later. The checks are mildly irritating, but I'm willing to deal with a little junk mail in exchange for the cheapest prices on DVDs. I have purchased exclusively through them for a few years now. Although I shudder to think how much I've spent, I take comfort in the thought that I saved a big chunk of change.
Old 09-11-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Strangely, the only problems I have had with DDD, other than floaters, have been delays when pre-ordering titles. I have done this three or four times, each time placing my order at least a week before the title was released, and each time the title arrived almost a month later.
You got the formula wrong. Often I find... pre-order a month before release and they'll mail it a week before release, arriving either on the release date or within the following few days.
Old 09-11-06, 06:47 PM
Retired

Only problem I've had is slow free shipping. But that was enough to keep me from using them other than ordering a few titles during the 20% off sale, as once you pay for shipping it's usually more than just buying it in a local big box store.
Old 09-13-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

knock on wood i haven't had any problems with DDD during the 20% off sale or other times, so i will continue to use them.
Old 09-13-06, 09:35 PM
Cool New Member

I've bought a lot of DDD never had a problem, never had a pop-up on their site (Thank you Mozilla) never had any junk mail from them or a 3rd party for them. Never been scammed by them and I had a few returns, and yeah it took a couple of weeks to get a replacement. The last time I had a return I got on their ass and said send me a new one and I'll send the old back as soon as the new one gets here, had to go up the chain to get that done, but the turn around was a little faster.
I buy a lot from DVD Empire, DVD Planet, Amazon (have to pay tax with them) Movies Unlimited and a few others knock wood, so far no problem with any of them.
DDD is not always the lowest that they claim to be and they say they price match, I've had them refuse to price match on in stock items or flat out fail to reply to a PM request. So they have faults but who doesn't?
Old 09-19-06, 10:26 AM

I first found out about DDD through this site several years ago. My personal opinion is that their service has slowly declined over that time frame. Yes, shipping is slow, but you get what you pay for. I've never had a problem with that. My problems have arisen with promotions that they've run. For example, in the recent Anchor Bay buy one get one free sale , I placed an order for two Anchor Bay Fright Packs (one to be charged at $20.99 and the other free). These were the only items in the order. I have been waiting for about 3 weeks for the items to ship. Out of curiousity, I recently checked the status only to find out that one of the items had been cancelled, but the other was still listed as backordered- and it appears as if they just intend to charge me the full price for the one item and ship it. I have yet to receive any notice of the problem. IMHO, that is tantamount to fraud.

I placed an order pursuant to a promotion expecting to buy one and get one free. I'm sure, that if this was the other way around- and it was the full price item that was cancelled and the free item that remained, DDD would then have contacted me or simply (probably without any notice again) cancelled the entire order. I have e-mailed them about this and am awaiting their response. I asked whether they would simply charge me half price ($10.50 instead of 20.99) for the remaining item as this is what I would have paid for it had both shipped. I suspect though that their solution will be to simply cancel the order. Perhaps they will surprise me, we'll see.
Old 09-20-06, 01:32 AM
Cool New Member

I'm going to just order from amazon.com from now on. The prices on ddd are the same and the international postage works out the same now, so if something goes wrong, at least you have a larger company to deal with.

After the dvdsoon.com collapse I think I'm sticking with the leader from now. After reading about people receiving exrentals from ddd there is no way i'm going to order from them from overseas lol
Old 09-25-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i pre-ordered Office S2 from them and still haven't got it. it'll be 2 weeks tommorow that it came out and people were sayin they got it before it was released.

prolly won't order from them again unless there's some crazy ass deal goin on that i have to get.
Old 09-25-06, 09:55 PM

I'm really upset that my copy of BSG 2.5 hasn't shipped from DDD; I wanted to watch it before the new season starts. I'm real close to just buying it from a B&M and canceling the DDD order.

I've never pre-ordered from DDD before. And never will again.

RichC
Old 09-27-06, 10:04 AM

As is the case with many stores, experiences vary.

I've ordered from Buy.com and Amazon with no problems for non-DVD products with no problems and have since ordered DVDs from both too -- usually for a specialty item that DDD didn't carry.

I've ordered from DDD 3 or 4 times, starting this year, always during a sale or on sale items. Once a item was out of stock and took a couple of weeks to arrive. Wasn't that big of deal since we weren't in a hurry. Once I got a set of classic TV shows that was not shrink-wrapped and showed minor signs of wear of the outside covers. The discs looked clean, however. We decided it wasn't worth the hassle of returning it since the price was really cheap and we were giving it to my mother-in-law anyway!

I live in Northern Indiana and DDD shipping is always super quick -- faster than CH which is in my own state!

I'd recommend DDD in a heartbeat. I've never signed up for any offers on their website and have not seen any increase in spam or regular junk mail.
Old 09-27-06, 05:13 PM
Cool New Member

If you international you know whats the most amazing site at the moment. www.amazon.co.uk

I ordered a DVD on normal shipping from them on Friday night late, and it arrived the following Wednesday in Australia. Its faster then local dvd stores!

So if I need anything from overseas I'm using them, and also you get the tax off (VAT) so the postage practically is free!
Old 09-29-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My copy of The Maltese Falcon 3 Disc that releases on Tuesday shipped this morning...

Dunno why things seem to be so hit and miss with DDD for some folks. They've always worked like a charm for me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.