Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Opinion buying PVD Movie Gallery etc

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-06, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done this and I'm trying to get some feedback from those that do this. I know you can get some good deals on new releases this way.

I'm a quality freak....example...Disc Scratches/Package that looks like it's been through a shredder.

Do you find discs that are in good condition when you buy these deals? What's the best method to doing this and getting the best deal on movies?

My weekly rental stop is Movie Gallery. Any other places I should check?

Thx
Old 01-03-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Movie Gallery is probably one of the best rental places to get PVD discs. They use the original cases /w inserts (if available), and usually will even give you the slipcover if you ask for it. The price stickers they put on the case are definately some of the easiest to get off as well.

As for scratches/imperfections, I haven't really had any. I think they give you a 30 day(?) warranty, so if you can watch your purchases within a month, you can exchange it if there's a problem.
Old 01-03-06, 01:29 PM

I was just looking through my local MG as I went to get today's new release. They do have quite a few movies available and they have the buy 2 get 2 going on now

I did notice the huge red stickers. You say they are easy to get off? I also noticed they have several of one copy so I'm sure they would let you have the pick of the litter.
Old 01-03-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I've bought at least 20+ titles from them and only one had imperfections (not that it didn't play, I'm a scratch free type person and it had some slight scratches). The stickers come off easy and as the poster said, original cases, inserts and slipcovers!! No reason to buy a DVD on release day anymore!! I say go for it man!

One thing--- although they have many copies of the same titles, you can't "pick" the best one: all are sealed with a MG sticker on the side you open. Those can be taken off easily to check..but I was told I was not allowed to do that. I replied with "the customer is always right"
Old 01-03-06, 02:31 PM

So if you know a slipcover comes with something then you just have to ask...I didn't see any covers on them.
Old 01-03-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

MGV is the BEST for PVD. I have bought dozens of discs from them and had maybe one problem disc. IIRC they have a lifetime warantee not just a 30 day one so if you do buy, file away your reciept.

Definite
Old 01-04-06, 01:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
MGV is the BEST for PVD. I have bought dozens of discs from them and had maybe one problem disc. IIRC they have a lifetime warantee not just a 30 day one so if you do buy, file away your reciept.

Definite
I gotta disagree. A lot of Movie Gallerys, the one's that can afford to stay in business, in addition to having their anti-theft label ON the DVD itself, also put a "seal" on their DVD's to where you can't inspect the without them appearing tampered with.

Hollywood Video also offers a lifetime guarantee on all their discs, which come in the original lockboxes with artwork, easy peel labels, can be inspected by clerks (I always do it before I sell anything to anyone), and has 3 different tiers of sales. 4/$20 on $7.99 and lower titles, $3 for $25, and $3 for $30. No need for those with a rental membership to keep a receipt, as it's already in the computer.

I know everyone else is speaking from personal experience, as am I, but I've shopped at both, and happen to work for one, being Hollywood, who's PV selection is insane, and offers more titles quicker.
Old 01-04-06, 08:35 AM

Another thing I thought about for those wanting a good case. Movie Gallery has just started switching from the generic cases to just sending the DVD home in the case it came with so the cases might not be in the best condition when time to sale it comes around.
Old 01-04-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Hollywood Video myself and has had great luck with local pawn shops as well.
Old 01-04-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big fan of the pawn shops. I know they're dirty(not all of them), they deal with a questionable crowd, and the disc sometimes looks as if they have been used as air hockey pucks but you can get great deals. I just picked up the Matrix LE gift set with the 10 discs and book for $19.99 - I thought $2 a disc was a good price. Plus I can sell the 4 movies I already have and pay for it.

I've also found my fair share of OOP dvds from pawn shops.

But by far I get most of my OOP dvds from Blockbuster and the like. Too bad their $8.00 trade-in deal is no longer.

OP: If I were you I would give the PVDVDs a chance as they can save you a boat load of money. AND!!! if you have a disc that is scratched 99% of the time you can get it resurfaced and it will look perfect. I do this all of the time as I can get good deals on DVDs and it costs me next to nothing to get them resurfaced. Of course you would have to find a place that does this. Good luck.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 01-04-06 at 03:22 PM.