Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning opened DVDs

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Returning opened DVDs

Old 12-21-05, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning opened DVDs

Hey, does anyone know if any stores will actually accept returns on opened DVDs? Most stores won't even accept an exchange it appears, which is quite aggravating when I buy a DVD and part of it doesn't play (trying on multiple DVD players).

It is funny that for all the DVD advancements, at least VHS tapes would play all the way through.

Most policies won't do anything for you if it is not in the original packaging. So much for the customer is always right. Greedy corporations.
Old 12-21-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
From what I understand, most large chain stores should at the very least exchange an item if it is defective. Maybe not 3 times for the same item though
Old 12-21-05, 12:51 AM
Banned

All merchants should aknowledge an exchange on an opened DVD for the same title only, along with your sales receipt (if the DVD your returning is from a manufactured defect.)
Stores definitely will not accept exchanges on DVDs for a different title, if the returned item has previously been opened, and played.
Old 12-21-05, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
All merchants should aknowledge an exchange on an opened DVD for the same title only, along with your sales receipt (if the DVD your returning is from a manufactured defect.)
Stores definitely will not accept exchanges on DVDs for a different title, if the returned item has previously been opened, and played.
They'll open the new item, too. I made the mistake of grabbing a copy of 40 Year Old Virgin @ Target assuming it was the WS Unrated just because it was on that shelf.

They were sold out by the time I got home! I had to wait 2 days, but I got a new one.
Old 12-21-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, Target and many others all have the same policy regarding opened dvds: exchange for same item only.
Old 12-21-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now, it gets fun when you buy the last of an expensive item, i.e. the Matrix LE Ultimate Collectors Edition. When you open that, find an error on a disc, and try to exchange it only to find you got there last copy, boy, that is a bundle of joy....
Old 12-30-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by gijon213
Now, it gets fun when you buy the last of an expensive item, i.e. the Matrix LE Ultimate Collectors Edition. When you open that, find an error on a disc, and try to exchange it only to find you got there last copy, boy, that is a bundle of joy....
I had that happen very recently. Bought it at FYE (one of the last few copies) and opened it up. It had three scratched discs in the set and two of them being movie discs. So I take it back to do a swap (with their last set) and still had one of the discs scratched up. I'm not sure what to do here. Maybe i'll contact WB and see if they'll send me a replacement disc. Any advice?
Old 12-30-05, 11:14 AM

BB did recently allow me to return an opened FS copy of scarface for a WS copy, with no receipt. I think it depends not just on which chain, but actually which store.
Old 12-30-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Costco, in keeping with their reputation for most customer friendly retailer, will actually give you a refund for opened DVDs.