Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Latest Netflix Trick

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Latest Netflix Trick

Old 10-24-05, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest Netflix Trick

We've all discussed how Netflix slows down their "high-usage" customers (of which I am one). So recently, some of my movies have been taking up to a week to arrive. After examining the envelopes, I found they were shipping them from across country. I live miles from the San Jose, CA distribution center, but have gotten movies from New York, Virginia, and even hurricane-battered Louisiana (this movie took especially long).

The only thing I can do in these cases is send back 2 movies in a "San Jose" envelope so that they arrive the next day. If I try and send one back in a cross-coutry mailer, they take a week to get them too!

ARRRGGGHHH! Now I'm just waiting for a competitor to come up to par. I can't wait to dump these guys.
Old 10-24-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I made a thread a little bit ago that I think deals w/ the same issue. I dont recall where my movies are coming (the envelope I got today has San Jose on it- is the address on the part that you rip-off different for everyone or is San Jose the main office or something?) but when I mail them back I have been mailing them to various states- New York, Hawaii???
Old 10-25-05, 01:37 AM

I experienced the same thing. At one time I was on the 5(or 6 i dont remember which) out at a time. Originally they all came from Coppel Texas. I live in Texas. When they began taking a week or so to get here I noticed they were coming from WA, NY, FL, and CA. Places that were about as far away from me as you can get and still be in the USA. I averaged about 3 a week, which was the same rate as when I had the 3 out plan. They only way I will do Netflix again is if its free.
Old 10-25-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same problem here. Used to come from/go back to here in Ohio, but 2 that I have sitting here now go to:

Houston, Texas
Flushing, New York

I get 3 at a time. The 3rd one that I received in this bunch went back to/came from somewhere in Florida. Now, all you Netflix apologists, explain that one.
Old 10-25-05, 06:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious, were the movies "main stream" or more "eclectic"? The only time I've seen long delays like this (and this has been going on for years) is when the movie is less "popular" and therefore I would expect they have fewer copies to pass around. I'll try to pay more attention but I'm pretty sure all my outgoing ones have been to the same/local facility. Then again I don't seem to have nearly as many problems w/ Netflix as other people have so....
Old 10-25-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nemein
Just curious, were the movies "main stream" or more "eclectic"? The only time I've seen long delays like this (and this has been going on for years) is when the movie is less "popular" and therefore I would expect they have fewer copies to pass around. I'll try to pay more attention but I'm pretty sure all my outgoing ones have been to the same/local facility. Then again I don't seem to have nearly as many problems w/ Netflix as other people have so....
I've noticed the ones that take a little longer for me are either ones I've waited a long time for (and are finally available) or are lesser known titles. So, I think nemein is correct. They might be filling the order by shipping it from a far site who actually has it.
Old 10-25-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got one last week here in Ohio from Honolulu,Hawaii!!! I've mentioned here before that you should just change the address on the return envelope to the distribution center nearest you for quicker turnaround. Make yourself some labels.
Old 10-25-05, 08:57 PM

I experienced this problem for about a two weeks. Now my selections are coming from the closest distribution center once again. During the "cross-country phase," I did order some relatively obscure films like The Red and the White.
Old 10-25-05, 11:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Anyone use Blockbuster.com DVD by mail system? I wonder if it is any better than Netflix?
Old 10-26-05, 12:17 AM

nemein,

The movies I rented were not recent releases. Most were very well known and popular movies from the 50's and 60's.
Old 10-26-05, 12:25 AM

ForumNut,

I've gone back to the 3 at a time from Blockbuster.

At first I dumped them for Netflix because the service began to slow down. I'm not sure if they were playing the same kind of tricks as Netflix as I didnt pay attention to the return address when I was originally with them.

At least with BB you get the 2 free in store rental's which equals about $8.
Also, they work on Saturdays giving them more time to process shipping.
Old 10-26-05, 02:20 AM
Banned

I'm on the BB service and absolutely love it. It's almost always a 3-4 day turnaround for a new DVD, but with three out at a time, there's almost never a lag in service. I live in Seattle and there seems to be a service center in the same city.

Also, like Spawndude mentioned, the in-store coupons are a nice bonus. I use them for video games (which maximizes their value at around $16/month) and there always other coupons for deals on used DVDs (often for free ones that are overstocked).

I've heard some people complain about their selection not being as expansive as Netflix's, but I haven't had any problems yet (although I'm not all that into obscure stuff). If you're interested, you can see their selection at their website.

Finally, on a side note, recently the deal's gotten even sweeter. Somehow, they've gotten confused with my account and have been consistently sending me out four discs at a time for the past two months or so. I'm still paying the same price, but am getting 33% more action. Somewhat confounding and interesting, but very satistfying.
Old 10-26-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein

To be fair, most titles that I rent are not really "main stream". However, that's the way I have always rented as it's the main advantage (for me) of using Netflix. Most of the movies are unavailable in my local BlockBuster. So, I have a hard time believing that all of a sudden this has started happening.
Old 10-26-05, 03:20 AM

I've had this problem for a while now. As I received a gift membership, I can't cancel. When I complained that I was being sent discs from other distribution centers so that discs were sent out a day or two after discs were checked in, the customer rep said that each distribution center has a certain amount of discs they can send out each day. I asked, "Why can't they increase the limit then?" She had no answer and told me if I weren't satisfied that I could cancel. She also didn't have an answer for why disc one of Entourage was checked in while disc two was not checked until the next day even though they were returned in the same envelope.
Old 10-26-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts
You might want to try singing "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?" to each DVD before sliding him into the mailbox...
Old 10-26-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sending from alternate locations has been going on since the beginning and can be beneficial to the renter in order to get a title that the closest shipping center either doesn't have or doesn't have enough of to meet the local demand.

However, until a month or two ago, the discs shipped from alternate locations were still addressed to be returned to the renters normal shipping center. So even though the disc might take an extra day or two to get to the renter, the regular shipping times applied for the return to Netflix. They've now changed it so the discs go back from whence they came, adding additional shipping time.

It's just another way to slow down the service and cut costs.

"Why can't they increase the limit then?"

I assume the limit is a practical one rather than one that is arbitrarily set. Increasing it would require expansion (either in space or workers). Depending on how many customers are affected, it may or may not be worth it to expand any given distribution center. But even if they expand a center, it takes time.

If they've got 50 employees that can process, package and ship 1,000 discs per day each, the limit of that facility is 50,000. If they have requests for 55,000 discs, there will be some they physically can't get to and ship out without adding another person and possibly more room to put that person (these numbers are just for an example. I have no idea how many discs a center processes in any given day).
Old 10-26-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been using bdots48's method ever since he suggested it a while back and it's working out like a charm. I even said screw it and sent half back to Indianapolis and half to South Bend (I live directly in the middle) just to see which was was faster well I guess going north to Ft. Wayne for distribution and then back South to Indy is the fastest method. I put them in the mail Monday morning they were reported back on Tuesday and I got my new disks on Wednesday

At first they were sending me titles from as far away as New York but after about 4-5 turnarounds with the printed address labels they have started sending me titles from local warehouses again, I think this is a little game Netflix and I are playing together, I'm finally getting really good service again; of course as I've mentioned before my service was never really that terrible to begin with.

I suggest to anyone that's having problems, try the printed address label method it's worked wonders for me. Thanks again for the heads up bdots48

kaki
Old 10-26-05, 05:13 PM

Netflix has pissed me off so much recently, that I took the unused out-of-state return envelopes and filled them with junk mail - then sent them on their way. (I also use this method with the postage paid envelopes that come from annoying junk mailers.)

Anyone ever realize how much a Forum is like a support group? We get to vent our frustration, share our problems, and come up with solutions. And knowing you're not the only one getting the shaft somehow makes it easier to take......er...that sounds wrong, doesn't it?
Old 10-26-05, 06:07 PM

I live in Indy and had great turnaround for my first month, 21 movies in one month on a 3 at a time subscription. Starting with my second month they have already gotten slower and take extra days to arrive, even though I ship them from like 3 zip codes away. This is my last month for a while, I think I'll just use Blockbuster for a bit and see how that works.
Old 10-27-05, 12:48 AM
Cool New Member

I've been a Netflix member for a couple of months now. I'm still very satisfied with my service despite the slowdown recently. I still never have that feeling that I'm being throttled even though I hear a lot of people complain about it. Now usually I would get my movies within the next day when they shipped it off. Now it takes somewhere between 2-3 days. I'm from southern Louisiana by the way. After Katrina hit us, surprisingly I didn't really feel no slowdown on the mail. Mail was goin as usual. But after Rita hit is, that was when all the mail started taking forever to come through even though my area or Baton Rouge had any major damages. I don't blame the slowdown on Netflix, I blame it on the hurricane and usps. I ordered a dvd with priority mail shipping and it took a whole week for it to arrive after it was shipped off. It suppose to only take 2-3 days anywhere in the USA. Some local mail delivery varies from 3-5 days to arrive. I didn't realized how bad it was until last week I was still getting mail that was mailed off from the end of September! Anyways the quickest way for me to get my movies back to Netflix was sending 2 dvds in one slip. The only time I would received a movie from other states would be when I rent foreign movies that is not in my local distribution center. One of the biggiest disadvantages for Netflix is that they don't process and ship on Saturdays.
Old 10-27-05, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just checked my queue and out of my top 11 titles 10 of them are either long wait or very long wait. These aren't brand new releases either. It seems as soon as I move some of them to the bottom they are immediately available, but if I put them back at the top they go on "wait" again....don't suppose this has anything to do with the complaint that I filed with the state's Attorney General...?
Old 10-27-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My service has actually gotten better over the past couple of months. For a while, discs were always delayed a day before being shipped out, and I went through a short time where at least one disc a week came from California (I'm in Dallas).

Now I'm back to non-delayed shipping and everything coming from my local distribution center.
Old 10-27-05, 01:47 PM

I don't know how long they have had it, but Netflix is now selling their used DVDs. This probably means they are trying to purge their inventory of older titles. This of course will result in less selection of older movies, and more delays!
Old 10-27-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
I don't know how long they have had it, but Netflix is now selling their used DVDs. This probably means they are trying to purge their inventory of older titles. This of course will result in less selection of older movies, and more delays!
That's been going on for quite a while now. I just remembered this from a couple weeks ago but I had two broken disks in two seperate turnarounds and Netflix sent me an e-mail saying they were no longer offering the title and that they removed it from my list. So I was like "WTF!!" and decided to check it out for myself, and sure enough it was still on the site so I re-added the title and it shipped out the next day..........it kind of felt like they were accusing me of breaking the disk. Oh well I still got the movies so fuck them, but don't fall for that immediately if it happens to you, cause in my instance they were lying out their asses.

kaki
Old 10-27-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get dvds that seem to be made by Netflix (grey spray on label with the movie title and the netflix logo). So does Netflix have a license to make copies of movies? If so, why canít they make additional copies to meet demand?

Originally Posted by BigDan
.... the discs shipped from alternate locations were still addressed to be returned to the renters normal shipping center. So even though the disc might take an extra day or two to get to the renter, the regular shipping times applied for the return to Netflix. They've now changed it so the discs go back from whence they came, adding additional shipping time.
Are you implying that it is the customer's responsibility to return discs to the distribution center whence they came?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.