Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I'm starting to get pissed at all of the bad listings at half.com and amazon.com

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

I'm starting to get pissed at all of the bad listings at half.com and amazon.com

Old 10-12-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm starting to get pissed at all of the dumbasses at half.com and amazon.com who sell used stuff but do not list it correctly. I was looking to pick up a couple of the REM cd/dvd-a releases and over half of the items listed were obviously not the cd/dvd-a package but just the original cd. It's pretty damn easy you morons, look at the barcode and list your items correctly. Fuck.
Old 10-12-05, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pointless post removed by admin ... if you're going to post useless stuff..don't bother returning...

-edited by pilot-
Old 10-12-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.

= J
Old 10-12-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, usually the cd/dvd version is more expensive, so they "accidentially" list it as that instead of the regular version. I've had this problem too. They plead ignorance and amazon/half doesn't seem to care.
Old 10-12-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could try actually filing a complaint with the sites that host these sellers if you really would like to spend your energies in a positive way. I am not exactly sure what you want from us here, unless you just want somebody to pat your hand and say, "Awww, pookie!"
Old 10-13-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
You could try actually filing a complaint with the sites that host these sellers if you really would like to spend your energies in a positive way. I am not exactly sure what you want from us here, unless you just want somebody to pat your hand and say, "Awww, pookie!"
Just venting. It's not a new concept.

I have complained a few times, but I shouldn't have to waste hours of my time doing their job for them.
Old 10-13-05, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. I get frustrated by these sellers, too. I'm currently looking at a Half.com listing for the upcoming Richard Linklater Bad News Bears. It's not due out for another two months, but somehow a new seller has a new/sealed copy listed for $5.99. I emailed the seller to ask if this was legit and suggested that they relist under the proper item if they were in error. No response, of course. I just know it's the origianl movie and not the remake.
Old 10-17-05, 03:36 PM

Half.com is eliminating the order confirmation and pre-order option on 10/20/05 in response (I'm assuming) to complaints from buyers receiving the wrong items. eBay should just close the site down if the power-to-be won't take the time to make it a better site for both buyer and sellers. And it wouldn't be that hard to do....
Old 10-17-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Entering info by the UPC barcode or ISBN (for books) apparently doesn't prevent items from being listed incorrectly.

I listed a book on Half.com, entered by ISBN, only to have the buyer claim it wasn't the book that was listed when he received it. Half.com gave the buyer a refund (though he never returned the book to me). So, apparently multiple books can share the same ISBN.
Old 10-18-05, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by BigDan
Entering info by the UPC barcode or ISBN (for books) apparently doesn't prevent items from being listed incorrectly.

I listed a book on Half.com, entered by ISBN, only to have the buyer claim it wasn't the book that was listed when he received it. Half.com gave the buyer a refund (though he never returned the book to me). So, apparently multiple books can share the same ISBN.
In the case of UPC, I have seen some movies re-released from SE or 2-disk to single-disk and kept the same UPC (IIRC, Terminator was one).

For ISBN's, they are unique as I understand, since Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, Price Farmer, et al all use ISBN as a look-up. Even when I have called Barnes & Noble, asking if they had a book, they preferred the ISBN over the title --- and then they repeated back to me the title to double-check they pulled up the correct book (and I had the correct ISBN). IIRC part of the ISBN denotes the publisher.

Now I have seen some re-prints have the the same ISBN's - provided they are from the same publisher. With various WWII books I have searched for, I ran across this same issue. Same title, same author, same pages, (no new editions / only one edition) - different publisher, different ISBN. (Barnes & Noble tends to re-print some books, i.e. become the publisher, equating a different ISBN.) Even in computer books, same title, same author, same publisher - different edition, different ISBN.

Whenever looking up books I always use the ISBN - even searching on closeout and clearance sites like Book Closeouts and Hamilton Books. Never have I had an ISBN pull up 2 different books and I have searched regularly on a number of sites over years.

I would suggest checking your ISBN's on the major book seller sites and even the book price search site - pricefarmer.com - to make sure that the ISBN is what you expect to be pulled up. Yes, I know the ISBN on the back of the book should pull up the same one but as I stated earlier, re-prints may change the "look."

my 2 pennies.