Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I got Circuit City to pay up on their 24 minutes or 24 Gift Card Tonight!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-14-05, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! It actually worked. Of course, Circuit City tried to weasel their way out of it, but I got them to give it to me.

I ordered a TV last night at 8:17. Got the email confirmation at 8:18. Went to store arrived at 8:42 on the dot. Waited in line, no sight of TV. Walk up pick up receipt for TV. Stocker comes back 5 minutes later with TV. I say I want the $24 Gift Card.

Manager comes up. Says I am wrong despite language that says explictly that time is from time of email confirmation, it is ACTUALLY if you wait in the store for 24 minutes. I say you are wrong, we pull up the Web site, it says right here:
http://www.circuitcity.com/

"From the time of the email confirmation"

So we argue a bit, finally says OK. THe main point of contention is that I had to 5 minutes for stocker to pull the TV. Manager says that doesn't count. I say sure it does..the thing was NOT ready for pickup, they had to pull it from the warehouse. I can understand that Circuit City is not built for instaneous pickup - but if it isn't, they shouldn't be promoting this..because a picker always has to go and grab your TV. (It was a small TV BTW). Anyway, I gues s it is another way to create an ad that is totally uneforceable. Thankfully I stood my ground and got the gift card.

Comes back with gift card.
To tell you the truth, very painful process. Would not recommend unless you really need the cash.

Last edited by chanster; 10-14-05 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-14-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least you got them to honor their word. I've found that CC managers will do everything they can to get out of following their policies, particularly with their price matching. Congrats on the card!
Old 10-14-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts
You're the kind of guy who didn't pay Dominos when the pizza arrived 31 minutes later, aren't you?
Old 10-14-05, 02:02 PM

Way to go! Far too many stores don't back up their advertising, mostly because people don't push them on it.
Old 10-14-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
seems like a pretty silly claim (CC) in the first place...but congrats anyway OP, way to stick it to the Man!
Old 10-14-05, 03:08 PM

Yeah, congrats on making the store stick to their policy. Every time I've been to Futureshop and had to make them honor a price match or scanning code of practice policy they've tried to weasel out of it.

Last time I tried to get a price match, with the manager standing nearby:
Me [as cashier keys in the price, exactly matching the competitor]: "But aren't you supposed to beat the competitor's price by 10%?"
Manager: "No, we changed that policy a while ago. We just match it now."
Me: "Oh, ok, I don't remember that. Is that change in policy written down somewhere?"
Manager: "Oh, yeah, over there" [he points to a sign on the wall behind customer service]
Me: "But that sign says you'll beat it by an additional 10%."
Manager: "Oh, that's only if you find the lower price after you buy it."
Me: "No, it doesn't say that anywhere on there."
Manager [reading the sign]: "Oh, yeah, ok [telling the cashier] match it."
Old 10-14-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To tell you the truth, I was more interested in seeing how it would play out as opposed to getting the gift card. Their claim seems ridicoulous and has enough exceptions to drive a Dodge Stratus through them.

I know I would get lied to about it, despite the Fact that is a national promotion that has been heavily advertised.

Its really sad you have to argue with people over their own promotions. Its deceptive and bothersome
Old 10-14-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts
I know- they told me I'd always be able to get the hottest releases on DIVX, but for the past couple YEARS I've checked for them and found NOTHING!!
Old 10-15-05, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I know- they told me I'd always be able to get the hottest releases on DIVX, but for the past couple YEARS I've checked for them and found NOTHING!!
Yeah....Good luck with that.
Old 10-15-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
At least you got them to honor their word. I've found that CC managers will do everything they can to get out of following their policies, particularly with their price matching. Congrats on the card!
You got that right.....
Old 10-17-05, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-18-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 368 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah....Good luck with that.
Think he was being sarcastic.
Old 10-18-05, 09:03 AM

Think he was being sarcastic.
Sarcasm is lost on this forum. Please if you see Sarcasm please return him, the kids and I miss him terribly.

Old 10-18-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 852 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
Yeah, what is it with them? I've had this problem too. It was only for about a $3 PM, so it wasn't worth it, I left.
Old 10-18-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I didn't step foot in a CC for years because of that whole debacle!!! But then, BB went down the crapper and I went back...
Old 10-18-05, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Yeah, what is it with them? I've had this problem too. It was only for about a $3 PM, so it wasn't worth it, I left.
I have to speak up and say for the most part I have rarely had a difficulty time price matching at circuit city or best buy. But the one time I did have a problem was when a manager was around and stuck his nose in (but that is another long story and in the end I got the PM plus 10%). I just PM'd the BB warner dvd sets Sunday at CC without a problem. They typically will call and confirm the item is in stock at the competitor but than they do the PM plus 10% without a problem. Takes 10 minutes usually to do the whole process and you have to use main checkout as the department checkouts aren't authorized normally but it gets done eventually. BB also is good about PM and they have yet to call and cofirm. My bitch with bb is that if you pm at time of purchase you dont get the 10% of the difference(I have asked dozens of times...they should be used to me being in the store by now and save a step) You have to buy it at full price and than walk over to CS where you PM and than get the 10% difference. Seems like a waste of their manpower to me but what the heck. Last time I PM'd the 10% added up to $17 so it is worth the hassle.