Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How big of a deal should I make of this?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,475 Likes on 821 Posts

So I went to Office Depot and bought 2 spindles of 100 DVD-r's and when I got home I noticed one is missing somewhere between 10-15 Dvd's! (or so it seems when compared to the other one). Here's a photo:

I haven't actually opened it up yet and counted them but one certainly seems to have some missing. They are both still sealed - it had to come from the manufacturer that way. So.. should I return it, complain about it OD headquarters, or just ignore it? Once I open it to count them it will be hard to prove they came with some missing..
Old 08-06-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just take 'em back sealed, and get 2 others. I'm sure they won't have a problem with it.
Old 08-06-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible the one that has less of the little white protection things at the top actually has more at the bottom? so it evens out? ..do they weight different? ..just a thought..
Old 08-06-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,475 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
is it possible the one that has less of the little white protection things at the top actually has more at the bottom? so it evens out? ..do they weight different? ..just a thought..
I thought of that too, but I can't really tell. The stupid label is blocking any sight of what's on the bottom. Weight? Good idea.. I'll check.

Thanks for waiting.

My scale doesn't measure precisely enough to know. It says both are 3 lbs. That being said it looks like including the packaging 33 of them would be a lbs. So missing 10-15 of them wouldn't show up my scale as a difference.

I went ahead and sent OD an email with my photo and told them about it. I'm not looking for any freebies or anything, I just felt if people don't tell the mgmt about this sort of stuff then they never know.
Old 08-06-05, 08:44 PM

Open the one that has more in it. If that one has 100 in it, then take the lesser one back. If the one with more in it has more than 100, then you lucked out
Old 08-07-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So if your scale doesn't give you an exact weight, why not just put each one in both hands and compare the weight that way? You should be able to feel if one is heavier than the other, and 10-15 DVDs will make enough difference where you should be able to tell by placing them in your hands.
Old 08-07-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Open them both and count them. It's quite possible that each spindle has 100 discs.
Old 08-08-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by D-Ball
Open them both and count them. It's quite possible that each spindle has 100 discs.
good luck returning it if you do that...
Old 08-08-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
I'd definitely take it back before opening it. Exchange for the same product, one that looks fuller, or offer to open/count them in front of the customer service person. Yes, it's only 10-15 DVD's, but hey, that's not what you bought. You didn't buy "Up to 100 DVD's in each package", you bought 100 in each. Mistakes happen, even machines aren't perfect so I wouldn't raise a fuss as long as they gave you a new, full package.
Old 08-08-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just take them back and exchange them, but make sure you get two containers that have the most DVDs stacked in it!
Old 08-08-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to turn this into a threadcrap, but for God's sake return those discs and get some decent quality media. Last I heard, Office Depot is packing Ritek G04 media into its boxes, which vary wildly in quality from useless junk to somewhat ok. And this is the best possible scenario, as they've used even worse subcontractors in the past.

At this point in the game, buying anything other than Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden is asking for coasters now, or in two years from now when the dye breaks down.
Old 08-08-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Bring them back and open them in store to check.
Old 08-09-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
good luck returning it if you do that...
Why would there be a problem? I've exchanged items that had missing parts, and never had a problem.

I guess I like to make sure there is a problem before I try to remedy it. If you have the extra time, go to the store to count or exchange them.
Old 08-13-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The way the generic stuff is, the two spindles could be from two completely different manufacturers. I'm sure there is a an official spec for how thick a DVD should be, but the generic store-brand stuff is usually the cheapest of the cheap and I would not be surprised to learn that 3rd or 4th tier manufacturers don't always follow the official spec.

So, what I'm saying is that you may actually have 100 discs on each spindle, just the shorter stack has thinner discs.

I'd also like my own log or two to wewantflair's threadcrap - unless you sole use is to burn and then toss (like for sneaker net between two computers) go spend the extra dollars to get the good quality media - prices plummeted so that the nice stuff ain't that much more than the cheap stuff. As a rule of thumb, when shopping for blank DVDs, read the fine print and get the "made in japan" rather than "in taiwan" or "in india" or "in china" stuff.

Here's a little more info:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
Old 08-14-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

General Zod, what did you ever wind up doing about this?