Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does UPS leave packages if no one's home?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-16-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Self explanatory.
Old 07-16-05, 02:15 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts
Where I live they do unless they need a signature.
Old 07-16-05, 02:18 AM
Cool New Member

In my experience, it is a yes and no. There have been times where I have ordered a few hundred dollars of A/V and was not required to sign and times where the item itself was less than $50 and I had to sign. So, it sort of applies with the drop off at the door-step, it can be either way. But, I have heard that if the driver feels that the area that the item is being dropped off at is unsafe, s/he will not leave it or leave it at a neighbor's house.
Old 07-16-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where I used to live they wouldn't, they said that area was against their policy to leave packages in, even though it was one of the lowest crime areas in the city. Then, after about 3 years they started to.

If they need a signature, they won't leave it. If they don't, it seems to be a mixed bag of results depending upon the driver. When you get the first delivery notice you can give them a call and give them instructions to just leave it there.
Old 07-16-05, 01:27 PM
Retired

If no signature is required, it's up to the driver discretion. The old one on my route would always drop them, the new one never does. Kind of annoying as he can't drop them at the leasing office either as it closes at 5 and my packages always come later than that as I'm only 5 miles or so from the UPS warehouse so they do those at the end of their day.

But at least it's not a big deal to have to drive over there are pick it up for me. Though it is out of the way, even though it's not far.
Old 07-16-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 349 Likes on 255 Posts
Yep'. ALL depends on where you live, and the preference of the driver. They occasionally leave a package with a neighbor - but usually that's just if the UPS driver knows/delivers to your neighbor from time-to-time.

It all really comes down to the driver's discretion.
Old 07-17-05, 05:44 AM
Banned

If you live in a urban area and the package can be seen by people walking by they won't leave it. And that's as p.c. as I can put it.
Old 07-17-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All that being said he left it. We live in as quiet (not nice) an area as you can find around here. We live at the very end of a court full of people who have lived in their houses for 10+ years. One of our neighbors never closes his garage, and we never close our front door. He left it inside the front door.
Old 07-17-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you live in an area that won't leave it, and you are never home when they bring it, what do you do? I'd hate it if they sent my package back after their three attempts.
Old 07-17-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
If you live in an area that won't leave it, and you are never home when they bring it, what do you do? I'd hate it if they sent my package back after their three attempts.
I believe if you aren't there the first attempt they leave you a note to fill out, with one of the options being to leave it there and you would assume the responsibility of it.
Old 07-18-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never leaves packages for me. I always get the yellow sticky on my door.
Old 07-18-05, 10:43 AM

You can get some blank yellow stickys from UPS and check the box on the front where it says signature on back. Sign the back and leave it on your door. UPS will leave the packages with no problem.
Old 07-18-05, 12:44 PM

I have the opposite problem. UPS and the Post Office always leave stuff at my door and I don't want them to! I'm in an apartment, with a teeny tiny mailbox, so anything bigger than a letter or magazine gets left at my door. I'm on the 3rd floor and you have to go through a door to get to the hallway where my apartment is, but that still wouldn't stop any of my neighbors from snagging things. I try to ship things to my job but that isn't always possible sometimes, especially when eBay sellers require a confirmed address.
Old 07-19-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you ever see your driver on a day off? Just ask him/her. I will always try to stop and explain my reasoning for DR (driver release) or not. UPS actually has 2-3 pages of DR rules called 340 methods. Here the biggest methods

- out of sight, out of weather and in customers expected normal travel path
- no multi-tenant dwellings (this varies according to local practice - someplaces allow it if entrances are separated)
- DR for 3 or less parcels - 4 or more require SDN (signed del notice ot note requesting release) or signature
- no "high" value parcel releases - computers, electronics, etc.
- no release of alcohol or firearms
- no release of signature or adult signature required
- high claim area - this has recently met one claim if it was your regular driver

The biggest factor is driver discretion. Its called driver release for one reason, the driver has released it and assumed responsiblity for the delivery. If the company can show that you the driver did not follow methods, he/she pays for it not the company.

In 18 years, I have paided for one package. It pissed me off beyond belief. I knew that they had and they knew that they had it - but denied it during follow-up. After about three months of signature in person and multiple attempts for several packages, they asked if it was because UPS paided for the missing package. I said "NO, its because I paid for it." A week later, they said that they had found the package and forgot call UPS when they found it. Could I leave packages from now on. Yeah Right!
Old 07-19-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shap
I have the opposite problem. UPS and the Post Office always leave stuff at my door and I don't want them to! I'm in an apartment, with a teeny tiny mailbox, so anything bigger than a letter or magazine gets left at my door. I'm on the 3rd floor and you have to go through a door to get to the hallway where my apartment is, but that still wouldn't stop any of my neighbors from snagging things. I try to ship things to my job but that isn't always possible sometimes, especially when eBay sellers require a confirmed address.

After posting all of that above, UPS introduced a new service last year called shipper release. It allows any driver to release almost any package with the shipper assuming all responsibilty for claims of missing packages. It even prompts the driver to release it. If not its one attempt and hold for pickup service.
Old 07-20-05, 03:11 AM

They always leave it at my door.
I've had several signature required packages left.