Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Problems from One and Only DDD 20% off Sale

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-29-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post them here!
Old 06-29-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems for me!
Old 06-29-05, 04:02 PM

Had a scratched disk, but they promptly sent me over an RA to send back.
Old 06-29-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They forgot to put the Dead Zone Season 3 in a box that contained a number of DVDs. I called them up and they apologized and shipped a copy out via priority mail.
Old 06-29-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts
DDD sent me the wrong box set. I ordered MST3K Set 7, but they sent me Murder, She Wrote Season 1. The packing slip in the box was correct, so I I don't understand how the person who packed it messed up the order. I just e-mailed them.

Edit: DDD sent me a prepaid address label by e-mail this morning. I gott a say, they really do work hard at good customer service, which is why they get all of my non-CH DVD orders.

Last edited by Gobear; 06-30-05 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-29-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ordered Eastwood's The Beguiled and ended up with 10 Minute Solution: Carb Burner I got through to CS rep pretty quickly, who issued me a mailing label to send it back. I've heard horror stories of these swaps taking weeks and weeks, so we'll see.
Old 06-30-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I opened my first DDD sale item which was Three's Company Season 4, and the outside was in perfect condition and I couldn't hear any floaters. As soon as I opened it, DVD 1 fell out and had a few circular scratches and scuff marks (which wouldn't come off by carefully wiping with a Q-tip). DVDs 2 and 3 were perfect, and then DVD 4 which was still on the hub was covered in tons of light scratches, a few fingerprints, and what looks like little chips out of the plastic. It looks like you'd expect a Blockbuster rental title to look after about 1 month of rentals (i.e. not terrible but not particularly good either).

I ran an error scan on it, and it shows no errors, but I'm in the usual dilemma: is it worth contacting DDD to get a new set, paying for the return postage, and hoping the replacement doesn't have similar problems on different discs? As much as I hate buying a new set only to have some beaten up discs in it, I think the risk-reward scenario is not worth it because both scratched DVDs scan error-free in a DVD-ROM drive.

Would people suggest I exchange the Three's Company set or do most other people just put up with non-serious disc defects if they don't affect playback?

Also, my Perfect Storm LE has a big dent in one corner of the box and a big exacto knife slice on the top. I really just wanted the movie, so I'm almost tempted to open it up, take out the movie, and see if I can net at least $8 on eBay for the rest of the package. Since the movie is the same between editions, it would seem like someone who already owns it could get the fancy set cheap if they don't mind the dent and the slice.

I usually buy my DVDs at B&M stores when they have sales, and this reminds me why because there would be no question I would exchange these items if I could do it locally, but here I probably won't.
Old 06-30-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Manzana
I opened my first DDD sale item which was Three's Company Season 4, and the outside was in perfect condition and I couldn't hear any floaters. As soon as I opened it, DVD 1 fell out and had a few circular scratches and scuff marks (which wouldn't come off by carefully wiping with a Q-tip). DVDs 2 and 3 were perfect, and then DVD 4 which was still on the hub was covered in tons of light scratches, a few fingerprints, and what looks like little chips out of the plastic. It looks like you'd expect a Blockbuster rental title to look after about 1 month of rentals (i.e. not terrible but not particularly good either).

I ran an error scan on it, and it shows no errors, but I'm in the usual dilemma: is it worth contacting DDD to get a new set, paying for the return postage, and hoping the replacement doesn't have similar problems on different discs? As much as I hate buying a new set only to have some beaten up discs in it, I think the risk-reward scenario is not worth it because both scratched DVDs scan error-free in a DVD-ROM drive.

Would people suggest I exchange the Three's Company set or do most other people just put up with non-serious disc defects if they don't affect playback?

Also, my Perfect Storm LE has a big dent in one corner of the box and a big exacto knife slice on the top. I really just wanted the movie, so I'm almost tempted to open it up, take out the movie, and see if I can net at least $8 on eBay for the rest of the package. Since the movie is the same between editions, it would seem like someone who already owns it could get the fancy set cheap if they don't mind the dent and the slice.

I usually buy my DVDs at B&M stores when they have sales, and this reminds me why because there would be no question I would exchange these items if I could do it locally, but here I probably won't.
I've had communication with DDD about problems with my order, and I think I have some answers/advice for your question:

Scratches/fingerprints count as damaged disks. You can keep them if you want. However, DDD will pay for your return shipping. Just e-mail customer service and they'll send you a shipping label. Here's something I'm wondering (maybe just because of my ignorance of DVD manufacture) -- how does a brand new DVD have fingerprints? Since it's wrapped I'm assuming its from some worker in manufacturing. Don't these people were gloves when handling DVDs? Probably they do, but maybe it's a case of a negligent worker taking them off? Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I'd contact cs, get the shipping label and send it back. One scuffed disk I might put up with, but 2 (in a boxed set that will cost more to replace down the road) would make me return it. Remember, the only cost is your time going to the post office and packing materials (and boxes aren't tough to find free, if the one they sent you is too big for just one thing).

About the damaged box -- that's something else I had trouble with my recent order. CS told me that if I informed them which boxes were damaged, they would send me a free replacement (just the box, not the DVDs). I don't have to send them anything. That's a pretty nice arrangement -- though there's no guarantee the replacement won't get damaged as well.

I think DDD's cs handles things as well as can be expected, but there certainly is an "inconvenience" factor when dealing with returns for online purchases that you don't get with B&Ms. I guess it's the price you pay for lower prices and bigger selection. One thing I noticed with this sale is that you have to be especially careful when ordering box sets (especially those made completely of cardboard). In the future, if I order such sets from DDD (and its hard to resist the prices during sales) at the least I'll try to make sure not to order them in bulk (or as part of a huge order).
Old 06-30-05, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
DDD sent me the wrong box set. I ordered MST3K Set 7, but they sent me Murder, She Wrote Season 1. The packing slip in the box was correct, so I I don't understand how the person who packed it messed up the order. I just e-mailed them.

Edit: DDD sent me a prepaid address label by e-mail this morning. I gott a say, they really do work hard at good customer service, which is why they get all of my non-CH DVD orders.
Sorry, I had to chuckle a bit. Here you are all giddy opening up what you think is the great MST3K set, only to have your heart slump seeing Angela Lansbury's mug.
Old 06-30-05, 05:25 PM

Another thing to add to my post above. Got Star Trek 6 in the mail today. The package looked like it was re-sealed. It was missing a security sticker on the side. The bottom security sticker was sliced open and when I opened it, both discs fell out. They were on top of each other. Before I opened, the disks were floating around. Unless Paramount changed the dvd case for this volume,the case I received was completely different than Star Trek 4 which also came.

A quick little phone call and everything was taking care of. This is my 3rd DDD 20% off sale. Previous to this and many other orders placed with them I've had no problems. Unfortunately out of the 20 dvds I ordered i have sent back 2
Old 06-30-05, 05:36 PM
Suspended

I ordered Man Show: Season 3 without the coaster and they accidentally sent me the version with the coaster. Cool.
Old 07-01-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Brainee, thanks for the reply. I'm assuming I have up to 30 days from when I ordered to deal with this, so maybe if I get some free time next week I'll call DDD and see what they suggest. If they offer to send a non-beaten up Perfect Storm LE case without me sending my current one back, I wonder how they'd get one without ruining an existing set. It would be nice if they'd allow me to return only the 2 bad DVDs out of the Three's Company S4 set and keep the good packaging. However, I would worry that whoever opens the set might scratch them unless they were very careful. I'd much prefer to have them ship me another set, charge my card, let me pick the best of the discs, and then return one opened set and have them credit my card the full amount. Has anyone done that before?

I know whenever I return something (even if someone else is paying for the shipping) I always worry about it getting lost unless I pay for insurance (which isn't cheap and which I don't think you can do with prepaid postage labels).
Old 07-04-05, 10:11 PM

Problem with Criterion All That Heaven Allows

Rats! I was watching my brand new All That Heaven Allows CRITERION version and between chapter 12 and 13 it does a fade to black and never comes back! After awhile my display just blinks and blinks until I open the machine and take the disc out. I'll be calling DDD to see about getting this copy replaced. It's irky because with the 20% off and no shipping it still costs $23.

I played it on my laptop and it did the same thing. I have to manually put it on chapter 13 to finish watching the movie.

Anyone else having this problem?

p.s. Does anyone know if Criterion or anyone else is bringing out Magnificent Obsession?
Old 07-05-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called about my missing order today that was shipped on 6/18. They said something about 5 extra days and then said to call back on 7/7 and they would ship another if I dont get it by then. I bet if I call on 7/7 whoever I get will say wait another week and call back then. Atleast thats what happened 2/3 years ago.
Old 07-05-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there anything up with DDD's telephone customer service? I called (1-800- 264-5076) and after hearing a recording about how "this call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes" I get a second recording that says to visit Deep Discount online, and then it disconnects. I generally have no problem getting their CS by telephone. Has their CS number changed?

My two major problems (detected so far) have been a defective disk in the Zombie Pack box set (Zombie 3, the first one I tried to watch, had some kind of manufacturing glitch that left a portion of the disk discolored or damaged, so it stops playing halfway through), and they neglected to enclose one of the disks I ordered in my most recent shipment, which is what I was going to call them about. I don't imagine that I'll have any trouble returning the Zombie box set for exchange, but I would really rather talk to CS to get the missing item re-shipped ASAP. I don't really trust their email CS to respond in a timely manner, but I've never really dealt with them via email.
Old 07-05-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been over 2 weeks since I've ordered from them and I haven't seen my dvds yet. ONly 1 dvd was on backorder.
Old 07-06-05, 11:48 AM
Retired

Minor problem with my backordered Crow Boxed set.

Got charged and a shipping e-mail last week. Today got an e-mail showing a new order with a zero balance.

Gave them a call, turns out it didn't ship out, so they refunded the full price to my card and will charge the full price (evens out to still 20% price since that's what the original charge was for) when it ships out again. They expect it back in on the 15th.
Old 07-06-05, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Texasgingersnap
Rats! I was watching my brand new All That Heaven Allows CRITERION version and between chapter 12 and 13 it does a fade to black and never comes back! After awhile my display just blinks and blinks until I open the machine and take the disc out. I'll be calling DDD to see about getting this copy replaced. It's irky because with the 20% off and no shipping it still costs $23.
[/I]?

I sent off the DVD today with the postage paid as provided by DDD. My credit card will be credited and then rebilled when they ship the replacement. I'd still like to know if anyone else had this problem with All That Heaven Allows, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm checking the replacement out carefully!
Old 07-07-05, 12:12 AM

No problems here. Placed three orders. All arrived in 5 business days. From where ever DDD is located(IL or IN ? ) to Texas.(Media Mail)
Old 07-07-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

lol i think they forgot to ship out my package even though they said they did... or the post office lost it.... gotta wait till friday so that its been the "15 days that media mail sometimes takes "
Old 07-07-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Called today about my missing Gary Cooper collection that was shipped on 6/18. They are going to send another.
Old 07-08-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm starting to worry about my 5th order for Bewitched Season 1 B&W which hasn't arrived after 14 days. It may still show up but I'll give it until Monday berfore calling DDD.
Old 07-08-05, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

I got the Ultimate Matrix Collection and before I even opened it I heard a floater. Took out the first digipak (regular Matrix) and disc 2 fell out. Turns out the hub is broken.
Does this count as defective or anything? Do you guys think its worth dealing with? It's not a huge deal, but its pretty annoying. If i didnt have to pay shipping back I'd go for it, but otherwise it might not be worth the hassle.
Old 07-08-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by evophile
I got the Ultimate Matrix Collection and before I even opened it I heard a floater. Took out the first digipak (regular Matrix) and disc 2 fell out. Turns out the hub is broken.
Does this count as defective or anything? Do you guys think its worth dealing with? It's not a huge deal, but its pretty annoying. If i didnt have to pay shipping back I'd go for it, but otherwise it might not be worth the hassle.
If you contact customer service they will give you a postage paid return label. If it was my set I would exchange it.
Old 07-08-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm starting to worry about my 5th order for Bewitched Season 1 B&W which hasn't arrived after 14 days. It may still show up but I'll give it until Monday berfore calling DDD.
I ordered Bewitched B&W the morning it was released and got it like 3 days after it shipped, I think Saturday after the release date. I would call them about it. When I called the 2nd time on 7/7 about my missing shipment from 6/18 the person said it should have been delivered on 6/29. Not sure if he meant the delivery confirmation said it was or he was going from when it shipped.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.