Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Online - Envelopes

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-17-05, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twice now since I've signed up for BO (a couple weeks ago) I've received envelopes ripped with the DVD barely remaining inside. Today, I received an address label and no DVD. Still have one day to go to report it missing. Hopefully they won't give me any grief.

Anyone else get envelopes that are FUBAR'd like this? My last one was enclosed in a USPS envelope with a generic apology from the plant manager saying we're sorry we mangeled your mail but here you go.

Edit: After looking at their help section, the top two queries are:

-I keep receiving damaged mailers. Does BLOCKBUSTER plan on changing their envelopes?

-What do I do if the DVD was separated from the envelope/mailer and I only received the address portion?

Last edited by devynal; 06-17-05 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-17-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Yes.
More than once the disk I've rented has actually gotten shipped back to BBO, while I've gotten the flap with my address.
I have written in to them more than once about it. I believe they are getting new envelopes, but want to use up the current stock first.
Old 06-17-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been with Blockbuster on and off since roughly August. In the beginning, I never had these problems. The last time I signed up (the month just ending June 15th), the envelopes more often came partially opened, all the way open or only the address label. I don't know if they made the envelopes cheaper or the post office has gotten rougher or what since last August/Sept.
Old 06-19-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only tried their service for a month and had no problems. I can see how ripped envelopes would really suck, but as for the envelopes that work okay I actually like them better than Netflix.
Old 06-24-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the same problem, I swear I think my mailman watches my movies before I get them. I've had dvd's returned without ever seeing them.
Old 06-26-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. I've received a few of the address labels only. I reported them and got no grief from Blockbuster. They just shipped out the next disc.
Old 07-26-05, 08:27 PM

Anyone else get this email from BB Online??? I may have reported about 5 missing dvds in the last 7 months or so.

We hope you are enjoying your BLOCKBUSTER Online™ membership.

We've noticed that in the time you've been with us you have reported a number of issues with DVD shipments getting lost or damaged in the mail. We know incidents beyond anyone's control occasionally happen with our DVD shipments. We take these issues seriously, and we are working closely with the U.S. Postal Service in your area to monitor the quality of your service.

To ensure that you are receiving the most efficient shipping possible:

* Verify your shipping address at blockbuster.com
* Contact your local post office or mail carrier to make sure that the DVDs are delivered to your mailbox and not left in a visible location.

Of course, even with these precautions, problems can still occur.

If a DVD Is Lost
If a DVD doesn't arrive within 3 business days of its ship date, please let us know at www.blockbuster.com/dvdissues. We will send either a replacement disc or the next available DVD in your Queue as soon as possible. The option is yours. Please understand that if an unusual number of issues are reported, your account may be placed on hold while we investigate.

If a DVD Does Not Play
We regularly run each DVD through a special DVD wash process to minimize disc errors. Despite this process, dust, lint, and fingerprints may still build up on the DVD and the internal mechanisms in a DVD player. If a DVD is unplayable, wipe the back of the DVD with a lint-free cloth. You may also want to consider running a DVD player cleansing disc through your DVD player regularly. If the DVD is still unplayable or visibly damaged, report the problem at www.blockbuster.com/dvdissues. Remember that all damaged DVDs need to be returned regardless of their condition or they will be considered lost.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding either DVD Issues or other aspects of your BLOCKBUSTER Online service, please consult our FAQs or feel free to contact us online via Customer Service.

Thanks,
Your Friends at BLOCKBUSTER Online™
Old 07-26-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got it too. I think I reported 2 missing and 1 damaged in 4 months.
Old 07-26-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I just got one of those emails too. This is the part that pisses me off:

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
If a DVD Is Lost
If a DVD doesn't arrive within 3 business days of its ship date, please let us know at www.blockbuster.com/dvdissues. We will send either a replacement disc or the next available DVD in your Queue as soon as possible. The option is yours. Please understand that if an unusual number of issues are reported, your account may be placed on hold while we investigate.
No need to investigate, I can tell them what the problem is. I have reported numerous dvds as "lost". They usually aren't. they're just late because of balbusters exceptionally crappy service. It frequently takes their dvds 4 days or more to travel the same distance I could drive in four hours so I report them as "lost" after three days per their instructions. I've also had their shitty envelopes fall apart in the mail and the dvds never arrive. Frankly, I doubt they were "lost" either.
I have no doubt my account will eventually be "placed on hold" because of excessive problem reports but hey, the problems are theirs.
Old 07-26-05, 11:59 PM

I have never had this type of trouble with them, but I have a shipping warehouse in my city.
Old 07-27-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Something different ... I got a Blockbuster envelope with a postage stamp affixed to it instead of a prepaid label ... and the same for the return envelope. Interesting....

BTW, I got one of the "missing DVDs" emails too ... I usually don't have much of a problem, though they did have to send me out about 4 copies of National Treasure before I finally got one of them.
Old 07-27-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kdubby
I have never had this type of trouble with them, but I have a shipping warehouse in my city.
I live within spitting distance of their corporate headquarters and still have the problems.

I got the email from Blockbuster, and I do report a lot of disc issues relating largely to the fact that they don't check in their received discs for sometimes extremely long periods of time (I've had at least one disc take three months after I mailed it back to them to be checked in). And no disc gets checked in within a day of when they should be receiving it.

If they want to suspend my account because they choose to not check the movies in that's their business, but it seems like solving the problem would require something along the lines of checking in the discs when they receive them.
Old 07-27-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Something different ... I got a Blockbuster envelope with a postage stamp affixed to it instead of a prepaid label ... and the same for the return envelope. Interesting....
I got a couple of those, too, and I noticed the return address on those was actually to a store rather than to the normal shipping facility.
Old 07-27-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Interesting...They had said they would start using stores as backup for online, I didn't know it was in place though.
I can't imagine that would be profitable, though.
I would think they get a discount on the postage on the current mailers because they're machine sortable and preprinted/prepaid, etc. Also, I would expect the B&M's to have less inventory than the online service, and at least an online member can get his stuff shipped from any warehouse, but if I go to the BBV on Smith St, I'm not going to drive down to Jones St to get my movie.
If the envelope stays together, I have no complaints with BBO's ship speed. I got a disk Monday, watched it, dropped it in my mailbox Tuesday, they got it and sent out the replacement today, should get it tomorrow or Fri.
I have had one disk take forever to get checked in, but I also claimed it as lost/delayed long before then.
Old 07-28-05, 09:42 PM

I also received that email. I've reported maybe 8 DVD's lost, they were actually just late as I did eventually get them. I also received 2 broken DVD's that I reported as damaged. This has been over the last two months.

A neighbor uses Netflix and he is able to get a 3 day turn around time. So on average he is able to get about twice as many discs as me.

My subscription ends on the 30th and I'm seriously considering droping BB.