Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

best places to buy DVD' to sell on e-bay

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a great place to buy quality and inexpensive DVD's to resell on e-bay? Where do the big boys like blockbuster get theirs from? Thanks!
Old 07-27-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 282 Posts
There's very little markup on DVD's. After fees, it's virtually impossible to make money selling them on eBay.

Anyways, do a Google search. Make phone calls.
Old 07-27-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
I've made money selling DVD's on ebay, but never on purpose. Dvd's that I've sold at a profit are out of print Disney movies and movies that are genuinely hard to find. "Hard to find" is relative--I'm not talking out of print, necessarily, but either out of print or not available in English speaking countries. (Holland sells lots of English language DVD's that aren't available anywhere else). I don't think my method would work for a business, but it's good to be able to buy a dvd, watch it, and turn it around for a profit.
Old 07-27-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy4142
Where do the big boys like blockbuster get theirs from? Thanks!
They get great wholesale prices because they literally buy THOUSANDS of copies of each title.

Do you really want to take a chance on getting burned with 5000 copies of Gigli?
Old 07-28-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am convinced that most of the small sellers selling huge quantities of DVDs on Ebay are either scamming people and will never ship those DVDs out and run with their money, or are selling five fingred discounted DVDs. There is no secret place to get these at for a great price. What you see on Ebay is fiction.
Old 07-28-05, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I am convinced that most of the small sellers selling huge quantities of DVDs on Ebay are either scamming people and will never ship those DVDs out and run with their money, or are selling five fingred discounted DVDs. There is no secret place to get these at for a great price. What you see on Ebay is fiction.
Indeed. Ebay is a haven for huge amounts of scammers, bootlegs and con-artists.

what really amazes me though, is that ebay (the company) doesnt:

[1] do anything about it
[2] get in trouble for facilitating all this illegal activity.

Im assuming that Ebay are not legally liable and that is why they never have [or seemingly ever will] bother to do anything about these sellers.
Old 07-28-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by hi_mom

[1] do anything about it

Im assuming that Ebay are not legally liable and that is why they never have [or seemingly ever will] bother to do anything about these sellers.
What amazes me more about ebay is that buyers still give overwhelmingly positive feedback to sellers dealing in low-quality bootleg DVDs. Buyers just think "Hey great! I only paid $5 for a new DVD of 'I Robot'. I wonder why there's Chinese on the box? Oh well."
Old 07-28-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brainee
"Hey great! I only paid $5 for a new DVD of 'I Robot'. I wonder why there's Chinese on the box? Oh well."
Or they know what they are buying is a bootleg, and don't mind buying it; is a more likely scenario.
Old 07-28-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
What amazes me more about ebay is that buyers still give overwhelmingly positive feedback to sellers dealing in low-quality bootleg DVDs. Buyers just think "Hey great! I only paid $5 for a new DVD of 'I Robot'. I wonder why there's Chinese on the box? Oh well."

so true
Old 07-28-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hi_mom

[1] do anything about it

They'll never do anything about it unless they are forced to by the MPAA. They make a ton of money from it. Neither they or Amazon even remove listings/sellers, to my knowledge, when alerted. For a time I repeatedly notified Amazon about obvious bootlegs and the sellers nor listings ceased. They don't even have a simple method of reporting bootlegs.

You'd think that would hurt the MPAA's copyright cases in court against file sharing companies as ebay and Amazon directly profit from the sales and turn a blind eye.

Atleast with Amazon one can say the MPAA doesn't want to publically tarnish their image given the amount of sales they contribute to the movie industry but I don't understand they take a hands off approach.
Old 07-28-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 282 Posts
My friend was in China, and bought tons of bootlegs for around .70ea. All obvious bootlegs, of course. But unless you have a home theater, you're not going to notice the slip-ups.

Got through customs without a problem.

I'm a bit more conciencious and respectful, and could never do that. But, man, my friend just built a library with $150, while I spent around $3000 on.
Old 07-29-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
My friend was in China, and bought tons of bootlegs for around .70ea. All obvious bootlegs, of course. But unless you have a home theater, you're not going to notice the slip-ups.

Got through customs without a problem.

I'm a bit more conciencious and respectful, and could never do that. But, man, my friend just built a library with $150, while I spent around $3000 on.
And you're saying what? Who wasted their money on their collection the most? I am not sure what you are getting at, but I would say the person who spent $150.00 on bootlegs wasted the most money.

Issues of ethics aside, the quality of these bootlegs are simply awful. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to view a couple and I wouldn't spend seven cents on them, much less seventy cents, or $150.00. I would be able to tell they sucked if I watched them on a thirteen inch black and white TV. What home theater set up do you need to tell they are of a poor quality? All I needed were my eyes.